MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

10 minutes ago, johnjacobniles said:

May I ask when your interview was? Did faculty say anything about the rest of departments? Waiting on photo…

congrats on the acceptance! waiting on graphic design... have people already interviewed for that department? 

Edited by yosemite119

16 minutes ago, johnjacobniles said:

May I ask when your interview was? Did faculty say anything about the rest of departments? Waiting on photo…

It was Sunday if you can believe it. No mention of the other departments. In the interview she let me know to expect an email from her this week, but the formal acceptance letters can take weeks.

33 minutes ago, bunnie99 said:

Accepted to RISD Ceramics this morning. Informal email promising a formal acceptance and financial aid info to follow "over the next few weeks"

Congrats! I remember you mentioned your interview was an interesting experience. I’m glad to hear you were accepted. Would you be working closely with the faculty who interviewed you?  

2 minutes ago, Sweetie123 said:

Congrats! I remember you mentioned your interview was an interesting experience. I’m glad to hear you were accepted. Would you be working closely with the faculty who interviewed you?  

Yes, I expect I would. I need to see the financial aid offer letter. But I'm planning on declining if I get a comparable offer somewhere else because I just felt like our energy didnt jive well.

Accepted to SVA today. Nice to have a NYC option, but nothing about financial aid. Anything about financial aid for those who have received acceptances from SVA?

Have upcoming interviews at Pratt and Goldsmiths. Sitting on GSA acceptance. Painting is my main concentration. 

33 minutes ago, bunnie99 said:

Yes, I expect I would. I need to see the financial aid offer letter. But I'm planning on declining if I get a comparable offer somewhere else because I just felt like our energy didnt jive well.

I hope you get another offer at a program w faculty that you want to work with! 

Had my Cranbrook and BU interviews today. Cranbrook was amazing and it felt like a very casual chit chat with very engaging questions, unfortunately I really don't see myself attending the school because of its secluded nature and lack of career development opportunities in their curriculum but it's still a nice option to have. BU was interesting.... There was a bit of an off vibe, they were 10 minutes late so the interview felt rushed and they had a lot of preconceived notions (not necessarily bad just wrong) about my practice that were clear through the questions they asked. I also felt that they were a bit standoffish regarding me being straight out of undergrad which, I know grad schools prefer applicants to have a few years of laboral experience, but thus far, this hasn't been a point of questioning during any of my other interviews at all. I really hope they come around nonetheless, since they are at the top of my list. 

1 hour ago, okaybutno said:

Somehow there is no news about UC Berkeley. Is there anyone who interviewed with them?

UC Berkeley doesn't do interviews as far as I know (went to undergrad there and have several friends who went through their MFA prog). They just call to let you know if you got in - so no news probably means they are still evaluating. 

11 minutes ago, Goody2choos said:

Had my Cranbrook and BU interviews today. Cranbrook was amazing and it felt like a very casual chit chat with very engaging questions, unfortunately I really don't see myself attending the school because of its secluded nature and lack of career development opportunities in their curriculum but it's still a nice option to have. BU was interesting.... There was a bit of an off vibe, they were 10 minutes late so the interview felt rushed and they had a lot of preconceived notions (not necessarily bad just wrong) about my practice that were clear through the questions they asked. I also felt that they were a bit standoffish regarding me being straight out of undergrad which, I know grad schools prefer applicants to have a few years of laboral experience, but thus far, this hasn't been a point of questioning during any of my other interviews at all. I really hope they come around nonetheless, since they are at the top of my list. 

What question did they ask you? BU specifically? base on you being recently out of undergrad

2 minutes ago, freshman2024 said:

Did anyone else just get a super confusing email from Rutgers ? I rsvp'd for in person just got an email inviting me for a zoom interview "Friday March 5th" March 5th is a tuesday ... super confused and very anxious/ frustrated. Just me lol? 

One of my interviewers got a date wrong. Just ask for clarification

1 minute ago, Beenthereonce said:

What question did they ask you? BU specifically? base on you being recently out of undergrad

They asked obviously why I was wanting to go to grad school right after undergrad but somewhere along the interview they also asked me if I had a job (weird if you ask me esp. they have my cv so) and how I handle juggling making art. Reading this now this doesn't seem like very weird questions to ask during the interview, it's more a vibes thing paired with the other questions they asked regarding my studio practice, and that no other program has come near to asking me this which lets me know that they somewhat care. 

37 minutes ago, Goody2choos said:

They asked obviously why I was wanting to go to grad school right after undergrad but somewhere along the interview they also asked me if I had a job (weird if you ask me esp. they have my cv so) and how I handle juggling making art. Reading this now this doesn't seem like very weird questions to ask during the interview, it's more a vibes thing paired with the other questions they asked regarding my studio practice, and that no other program has come near to asking me this which lets me know that they somewhat care. 

omg they asked my the same questions. I interviewed this morning and they also asked me “Do you have a job” and “how was the juggling”. I also interviewed today. But overall I think i vibed with them and they did express sympathy to my situation. 

1 minute ago, ZenGarden said:

omg they asked my the same questions. I interviewed this morning and they also asked me “Do you have a job” and “how was the juggling”. I also interviewed today. But overall I think i vibed with them and they did express sympathy to my situation. 

Omg ok I'm glad they asked you too and it was not a personal interaction with me. Maybe mine just felt off because of the time constraints.

49 minutes ago, ofro said:

Has anyone heard from Bard MFA Photo? 

Still recovering from my Yale rejection at 10:30pm on a friday night the other week lol.

Wishing the best to everyone applying/ interviewing and during the decision making process.

:~) 

A friend of mine said they received interview invites from Bard MFAs today.  Maybe check your spams? 

Wishing the best to everyone and stay sane

3 hours ago, Lollypoponeday said:

Has anyone heard from UCLA New Genres after the interview?

I interviewed in sculpture and this Sunday 2/18 the dept head called me to get more information to nominate me for this fellowship I think. He said they give the financial aid offer with the admission decision so I think I have a good chance. This is for sculpture though not sure how other dept heads manage etc. He said it would be a while still until admissions decisions come out because they still had to meet all together all the departments to review and then they have to send that to another office that contacts the applicants etc etc So mid march is what he made it seem like I believe. 

1 minute ago, cinnamoroll8 said:

I interviewed in sculpture and this Sunday 2/18 the dept head called me to get more information to nominate me for this fellowship I think. He said they give the financial aid offer with the admission decision so I think I have a good chance. This is for sculpture though not sure how other dept heads manage etc. He said it would be a while still until admissions decisions come out because they still had to meet all together all the departments to review and then they have to send that to another office that contacts the applicants etc etc So mid march is what he made it seem like I believe. 

Thank you !

About the fellowship, are you an international student or an US student ?

Did you fill a specific application for that fellowship or is everyone considered with their application? 

Congrats! 

6 minutes ago, Lollypoponeday said:

Thank you !

About the fellowship, are you an international student or an US student ?

Did you fill a specific application for that fellowship or is everyone considered with their application? 

Congrats! 

US student. I think I checked the page or box that said do you want to be considered for fellowships if there was anything like that . I think maybe everyone is if you send the fafsa? I can’t entirely remember. And thank you :) I was really happy to hear it as I was deeply sad about not getting an interview for the PD soros fellowship. This ucla one would be essentially the same financial support for I think at least a year. Hopefully it’s both but we’ll see 

1 minute ago, cinnamoroll8 said:

US student. I think I checked the page or box that said do you want to be considered for fellowships if there was anything like that . I think maybe everyone is if you send the fafsa? I can’t entirely remember. And thank you :) I was really happy to hear it as I was deeply sad about not getting an interview for the PD soros fellowship. This ucla one would be essentially the same financial support for I think at least a year. Hopefully it’s both but we’ll see 

Thank you, yes I remember ticking this box during the application. Glad I didn’t miss it. 

Congrats more financial aid is always good