MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

2 hours ago, cinnamoroll8 said:

when i interviewed friday they said i would be hearing from them by the end of this week so I'm assuming march 1 or the 3rd. i interviewed for sculpture. 

Had mine today they said the same thing, I had a great interview with them. 

On 2/25/2024 at 12:41 PM, hihihi123 said:

I have to say after interviewing with saic sculpture im really pleased they were so lovely to speak with..... Im also like shit what are thier names wanted to send a thank you but im blanking on the names of who interviewed me....so if anyone interviewed with saic sculpture and remembers their names lemme know:)

I guess Jordan and Stephen? I also forgot their names, so I looked at the SAIC faculty page to find them, and I think it was Jordan and Stephen. Do you think it's right?

Edited by methe1st

15 hours ago, MFA108 said:

If you had the choice between RISD and Yale for graduate studies in painting/visual arts, which would you choose? regardless of funding options. I keep seeing different ratings between the schools based on international and domestic rankings.

I'm a current MFA in painting student at RISD. Please, go to Yale if you get accepted there.

On 2/25/2024 at 4:57 PM, Dougie4life said:

Did you study photo? Interviewing this week and would love to connect with some recent photo alumni or current photo students...

Send a DM to @elenabulet on Instagram. She's a current photo grad and she's amazing. 

1 hour ago, _redrabbit7 said:

I'm a current MFA in painting student at RISD. Please, go to Yale if you get accepted there.

I was accepted to the RISD ceramics program. Your comment makes me worried. Is there something I should know? 😅

2 hours ago, _redrabbit7 said:

Hi thanks for sharing this.

Would you mind elaborate a bit more on what you think RISD is not great at? And how you think Yale would be a better option? I'm interested in what aspect you're looking at and I feel like this could help me and other people here make the right decisions.

I'd really appreciate this. ❤️

5 hours ago, _redrabbit7 said:

3 hours ago, bunnie99 said:

I was accepted to the RISD ceramics program. Your comment makes me worried. Is there something I should know? 😅

2 hours ago, sad face said:

Would you mind elaborate a bit more on what you think RISD is not great at? And how you think Yale would be a better option? I'm interested in what aspect you're looking at and I feel like this could help me and other people here make the right decisions.

Yes, please, elaborate on your thoughts for us. My interest stems mainly from my research and conversations with individuals who have pursued Graduate studies in fine art—specifically, painting or printmaking—at either school. They've shared varying perspectives on each institution. Both schools have different pedagogies; Yale, for instance, has a track record of launching careers in contemporary art, particularly in gallery representation, while RISD tends to cater more towards those interested in pursuing teaching or education within the arts.

I believe it ultimately boils down to what one makes of the experience, given the opportunities available. However, it's undeniable that there are distinct differences between them. One is purely an art school with a deep history and a focus on technical precision, while the other is tied to a larger Ivy League institution with bigger endowments and a broader set of networking options after graduation. Comparing them based on rankings is challenging due to their differing cores and experiences offered.

In a hypothetical scenario where one had to choose between the larger, more hyped "it" school and a smaller yet still renowned art school, i believe the decision would depend on individual preferences. Both offer unique advantages, and it would seem the choice would hinge on which environment aligns better with one's artistic goals and aspirations. But I was asking what everyone thought on this forum since we all seem to have applied to both of these top programs.

For those in the Yale / RISD MFA boat, I’d love to hear your thoughts. I see above ^ some very real, accurate hesitations.

A few of my peers have went through MFA programs at both institutions. I’m more familiar with folks who have been in the Photography programs but know a few in painting. From what I’ve heard, it’s totally expected to have qualms with both of these schools, and at the end of the day we know what these types of institutions really care about.

I’ve recently heard some concerning things about the RISD faculty in terms of their attentiveness and care towards the program and nurturing the interests of the students. I’ve heard that there’s been a high turnover rate at least for photo. I’ve heard support goes beyond the faculty of your particular program, so you’re able to study with other faculty within RISD but you also have access to work with faculty from Brown. 

RISD seems most promising in terms of flexibility and resources/opportunities. You can dip your toes in beyond just the medium that you work within. But it seems the faculty is mostly checked out in the visual programs so it’s something to be weary of.

On the other hand, I have a few good friends who have studied in Yale photo (and are currently) - it has its ups and downs. But the faculty is more promising and is genuinely more invested in their students. Yale MFA puts you more on a calculated path, and you are more likely to get put in the rooms that you desire if exhibiting and gallery opportunities is what you are seeking. You also get a lot of access in terms of the artists who can come in and speak with you about your practice. But this also isn’t everything and is not necessarily the most important part about the graduate school experience! I think it truly depends what type of experience you are seeking, and ultimately it is what you make of it. The structuring of the MFA programs between the two is incredibly different. 

That being said, very very very interested to hear what others think of these programs. I interviewed for RISD MFA Photo last week (it did go well!) and am interviewing for Yale MFA Photo later this week. 

Good luck to all through your interview stages and decision waiting!

13 hours ago, sostressed said:

Anyone interviewing for NYU Steinhardt?

Also does anyone have any ideas of where to find outside funding (grants or scholarships)? Trying to avoid taking out loans at all cost but it looks like that is the name of the game?????

I have mine on 3/5.

5 hours ago, bunnie99 said:

I do not know much about the ceramics program at RISD. I cannot really say if there's anything you should be worried about. 

4 hours ago, sad face said:

It's not about what RISD is not great at, Yale just happens to have a better program. The faculty is more committed to the growth of their students. And they have a track record to prove it. And an amazing faculty too, especially Meleko Mokgosi, who I personally admire for his cerebral approach to artmaking. 

1 hour ago, MFA108 said:

Yes, please, elaborate on your thoughts for us. My interest stems mainly from my research and conversations with individuals who have pursued Graduate studies in fine art—specifically, painting or printmaking—at either school. They've shared varying perspectives on each institution. Both schools have different pedagogies; Yale, for instance, has a track record of launching careers in contemporary art, particularly in gallery representation, while RISD tends to cater more towards those interested in pursuing teaching or education within the arts.

I believe it ultimately boils down to what one makes of the experience, given the opportunities available. However, it's undeniable that there are distinct differences between them. One is purely an art school with a deep history and a focus on technical precision, while the other is tied to a larger Ivy League institution with bigger endowments and a broader set of networking options after graduation. Comparing them based on rankings is challenging due to their differing cores and experiences offered.

In a hypothetical scenario where one had to choose between the larger, more hyped "it" school and a smaller yet still renowned art school, i believe the decision would depend on individual preferences. Both offer unique advantages, and it would seem the choice would hinge on which environment aligns better with one's artistic goals and aspirations. But I was asking what everyone thought on this forum since we all seem to have applied to both of these top programs.

I combed through every ranking before I came to RISD. I only applied to the top three art schools in the US: Yale, RISD, and SAIC. I got into both RISD and SAIC on scholarships but didn't get into Yale. I chose to attend RISD because it's closer to Connecticut and New York. My expectations were high before I came to RISD, but within a semester I was so disappointed and disgusted with myself because I wasn't making the progress I desired in my practice. Part of this stemmed from my inability to get tangible help from my faculty. The critiques did not help and I'm telling you this, honestly, the critiques DID NOT HELP! I was creatively stranded. And at the time I heard that another student wanted to drop out after that first semester so they could reapply to Yale (they eventually didn't). You mention that RISD caters more to students who are interested in pursuing teaching. I think that is true. I've takne courses in collegiate teaching. But there's also this longstanding problem with the graduate painting department that refuses to take its own students to teach at RISD; they're always looking for graduates from Yale. This matter escalated over the last few years that, beginning in 2023, in order to contain this ruckus, the graduate painting department was forced by its students to begin to retain at least one graduate as a faculty post-MFA.

Yale is not a "hyped" school. Before I decided to go to graduate school I read the CVs of almost all their outstanding painting graduates, from the late 90s till date. I read everybody's CV. They have a track record of excellence. The biggest artists to have emerged from RISD to date attended before I was even born: Kara Walker (1994), Julie Mehretu (1997). Yale is still producing at least one amazing artist every single year (most recently Tunji Adeniji-Jones [2017] Dominic Chambers [2019] Chibuike Uzoma [2021]). And I noticed that Yale graduates who decide to teach after their MFAs are appointed associate professors immediately after grad school [Njideka Akunyili Crosby (2011), Jennifer Packer (2012), Jordan Casteel (2014), Devan Shimoyama (2014)]. I don't know of any RISD grads who have gotten the same reception. 

My advice to anyone applying to any MFAs would be to research. Decide for yourself what you want to get out of an MFA. Then do your research and find the best program that you think can help you. 

Good luck to you guys in your applications.

***RISD has the best undergraduate program in art, though, that is undeniable. There are Yale grads who attended RISD for their undergraduate degrees, such as Tavares Strachan (2004). And there are undergrads like Anna Weyant and Sacha Gordon. 

Edited by _redrabbit7

19 hours ago, sweet dreams said:

This may not be applicable to lots of people, but has anyone applied to Concordia or UOttawa? (Canada) if so, have you heard anything back?

Hi I've applied to Concordia for MFA Film. Haven't heard back yet. They generally send out emails in mid-march

15 hours ago, sostressed said:

Anyone interviewing for NYU Steinhardt?

Also does anyone have any ideas of where to find outside funding (grants or scholarships)? Trying to avoid taking out loans at all cost but it looks like that is the name of the game?????

Hi, an advice for you and those interviewing for NYU Steinhardt studio art when they ask if you have any questions for them is to ask them what faculty diversity looks like in their classes and/or critiques. Try to push and get a clear and non-vague answer. 

Don't mean to deter anyone from going, the program overall is a good one, with a couple really great parts to it, but very much lacking in this above department currently. So if you're going into it, it's good to be aware of that and hopefully by asking this to them, it makes them confront and make changes to this issue.

I'm not sure about outside funding, but from the program itself, everyone gets half tuition scholarships and in your second semester a paid TA position in one class, and in your second year you get to teach an undergrad class for the two semesters. It's a union position and pay is really good compared to other schools, with health insurance reimbursed almost fully.

Let me know/message me if anyone has any other questions!

2 hours ago, bikehelmutlang said:

For those in the Yale / RISD MFA boat, I’d love to hear your thoughts. I see above ^ some very real, accurate hesitations.

A few of my peers have went through MFA programs at both institutions. I’m more familiar with folks who have been in the Photography programs but know a few in painting. From what I’ve heard, it’s totally expected to have qualms with both of these schools, and at the end of the day we know what these types of institutions really care about.

I’ve recently heard some concerning things about the RISD faculty in terms of their attentiveness and care towards the program and nurturing the interests of the students. I’ve heard that there’s been a high turnover rate at least for photo. I’ve heard support goes beyond the faculty of your particular program, so you’re able to study with other faculty within RISD but you also have access to work with faculty from Brown. 

RISD seems most promising in terms of flexibility and resources/opportunities. You can dip your toes in beyond just the medium that you work within. But it seems the faculty is mostly checked out in the visual programs so it’s something to be weary of.

On the other hand, I have a few good friends who have studied in Yale photo (and are currently) - it has its ups and downs. But the faculty is more promising and is genuinely more invested in their students. Yale MFA puts you more on a calculated path, and you are more likely to get put in the rooms that you desire if exhibiting and gallery opportunities is what you are seeking. You also get a lot of access in terms of the artists who can come in and speak with you about your practice. But this also isn’t everything and is not necessarily the most important part about the graduate school experience! I think it truly depends what type of experience you are seeking, and ultimately it is what you make of it. The structuring of the MFA programs between the two is incredibly different. 

That being said, very very very interested to hear what others think of these programs. I interviewed for RISD MFA Photo last week (it did go well!) and am interviewing for Yale MFA Photo later this week. 

Good luck to all through your interview stages and decision waiting!

I went to RISD for undergrad and I can attest to that, it’s all how you make it tbh so do your research for sure. For yale I  do know that Yale students that have gotten tenture at RISD. RISD definitely respects Yales for sure bc most people who do have a tenture there went and graduated from Yale. Academia does respect where you come from but idk that’s slightly changing due to DEI plans at certain colleges and universities. 

50 minutes ago, yosemite119 said:

Congratulations!! Did you interview? And if so, when?

Thanks! I interviewed on the 15th. They said I'll get the result within 2-3 weeks but I got an email yesterday!

Edited by methe1st

1 hour ago, Beenthereonce said:

I went to RISD for undergrad and I can attest to that, it’s all how you make it tbh so do your research for sure. For yale I  do know that Yale students that have gotten tenture at RISD. RISD definitely respects Yales for sure bc most people who do have a tenture there went and graduated from Yale. Academia does respect where you come from but idk that’s slightly changing due to DEI plans at certain colleges and universities. 

One thing that hasn't been said here is on critiques.

It's well known that Yale uses a method that breaks students down and then builds them back up again. To me - it's a bit of a colonialist approach and often creates a certain "aesthetic." 

This approach isn't for everyone, especially those artists who have a clearer idea of who they are, and also many artists of color. 

I can't speak to RISD's critique approach. If anyone can speak to their critiques, please chime in.

23 minutes ago, Gaara said:

accepted by the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) *funding package tbd, but i'm pretty sure they are fully funded + stipend 

Congrats! I think they are! I know someone who graduated from the painting department there. lmk if you want me to try and connect you to her. 

As a first time applicant straight out of undergrad I'm looking for some advice.

The only school that interviewed me was SAIC (fiber and material studies), and assuming I get in and receive funding, is it worth it? I've considered not going, but having to work a low-income job outside of my field and do art on the side for at least a year isn't very appealing. I really want to continue my education now so I can continue my art career (and move out of my small college town) but I am worried if SAIC can do this. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews, some people saying its one of the best art schools, and others saying it's all about money and that they don't provide a lot of career support.

I love SAIC's location and facilities, but that's all I know for certain. If anyone has gone there/ knows people in the grad program, I would love to hear what you think.

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, ulyssesbloom said:

As a first time applicant straight out of undergrad I'm looking for some advice.

The only school that interviewed me was SAIC (fiber and material studies), and assuming I get in and receive funding, is it worth it? I've considered not going, but having to work a low-income job outside of my field and do art on the side for at least a year isn't very appealing. I really want to continue my education now so I can continue my art career (and move out of my small college town) but I am worried if SAIC can do this. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews, some people saying its one of the best art schools, and others saying it's all about money and that they don't provide a lot of career support.

I love SAIC's location and facilities, but that's all I know for certain. If anyone has gone there/ knows people in the grad program, I would love to hear what you think.

Thanks!

Hey! I am also a first time applicant straight out of undergrad so, we are in a somewhat similar place. Yet, I am an international student that for many reasons pertaining to visa status, etc can not really take the time to apply several consecutive years. Nonetheless, I graduated last May and have been working low to no income jobs and doing my art on the side since then. Although hard and tiring, I believe it has taught me many things about me as a person and pushed me to grow as an artist even though I have only done it for a small period of time. At the same time, I have seen people in the field that have been able to promote their career exponentially more than how they would be able to during grad school by having the freedom of forming genuine connections outside of an institutional background. I unfortunately feel like, by going straight out of undergrad I am committing to having a certain disadvantage and immaturity in my expertise where, in a way, I envy having the opportunity to take your time and experience a self-motivated practice. That being said, I cannot speak for SAIC as a program but, I can only say that if you wished you had more options to choose from or are doubtful as to if you will regret or just wonder in the future if choosing SAIC was the right choice for you because it was your only choice, I would wait and reapply in the future. I think that it is better to have patience, maybe apply to more programs, and to not take on huge amounts of debt for a graduate education. I would also not frown upon working outside of the arts to sustain your creative practice as a necessity as many successful artists have had to do that at a point or another and is somewhat inevitable in today's economy.