MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

On 3/1/2024 at 8:02 PM, Dougie4life said:

For those who have been admitted to more than one school - how are you weighing your decision-making apart from funding/financial packages?

MFA programs vary drastically from program to program so when I was making my decision I was looking mostly at curriculum, faculty, current grad student work, alumni work, and opportunities the school have for MFA candidates. 
I really wanted a studio-based program, instead of a more technical/course based program. I also find it very important that I am interested in the faculty that I will be working with, and it is important for me that the faculty I work closely with have a studio practice outside of teaching. 
The work that current grad students are producing is also really big and I think it says a lot about a program. 

57 minutes ago, Sweetie123 said:

MFA programs vary drastically from program to program so when I was making my decision I was looking mostly at curriculum, faculty, current grad student work, alumni work, and opportunities the school have for MFA candidates. 
I really wanted a studio-based program, instead of a more technical/course based program. I also find it very important that I am interested in the faculty that I will be working with, and it is important for me that the faculty I work closely with have a studio practice outside of teaching. 
The work that current grad students are producing is also really big and I think it says a lot about a program. 

Oh also! If it is a funded program, the expectations of MFA candidates is suuuper important to me. At some funded programs they require you to be a teacher of records (teaching your own class) from day 1, some schools have you teaching two courses a semester, and some don’t require you to teach, but have you in a TA or studio tech position. For me, it was so important to learn as much as I could about multiple programs and the expectations at each school so I could figure out what suited me best. 

ALSO, talking to current mfa candidates to see what the program is like was big for me. I’ve met a handful of grad students who are unhappy with their program. I know every program has it’s pros and cons, but if multiple people are miserable in a program, that’s a tell tale sign that there are probably some systemic issues within the department. 

Edited by Sweetie123

1 hour ago, Sweetie123 said:

Oh also! If it is a funded program, the expectations of MFA candidates is suuuper important to me. At some funded programs they require you to be a teacher of records (teaching your own class) from day 1, some schools have you teaching two courses a semester, and some don’t require you to teach, but have you in a TA or studio tech position. For me, it was so important to learn as much as I could about multiple programs and the expectations at each school so I could figure out what suited me best. 

ALSO, talking to current mfa candidates to see what the program is like was big for me. I’ve met a handful of grad students who are unhappy with their program. I know every program has it’s pros and cons, but if multiple people are miserable in a program, that’s a tell tale sign that there are probably some systemic issues within the department. 

This is super helpful! Thank you for sharing. 

8 hours ago, Dougie4life said:

Thanks for sharing. Ranking according to whom?

I mainly looked at U.S. news rankings. However, I see them more as a reference rather than a crucial factor in deciding on graduate school. Additionally, I'm also reviewing the current students' work at that school, but what I prioritize the most is the school's curriculum and educational direction.

On 2/27/2024 at 4:31 PM, ulyssesbloom said:

As a first time applicant straight out of undergrad I'm looking for some advice.

The only school that interviewed me was SAIC (fiber and material studies), and assuming I get in and receive funding, is it worth it? I've considered not going, but having to work a low-income job outside of my field and do art on the side for at least a year isn't very appealing. I really want to continue my education now so I can continue my art career (and move out of my small college town) but I am worried if SAIC can do this. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews, some people saying its one of the best art schools, and others saying it's all about money and that they don't provide a lot of career support.

I love SAIC's location and facilities, but that's all I know for certain. If anyone has gone there/ knows people in the grad program, I would love to hear what you think.

Thanks!

have you received the offer?

8 hours ago, fiberartist said:

Hey guys, been lurking around but posting for the first time.

so far I’ve only heard back from RISD. But nothing from SAIC and Parsons. I applied for fiber/textiles. Anyone hear back from them yet?

Should i be worried since i see many people heard back from their respective departments at SAIC. Havent seen a single comment about Parsons so far. Is it really not that well reputed amongst MFA candidates?

5 minutes ago, Reee3 said:

have you received the offer?

I havent heard back from SAIC fiber/materials yet. Hoping to hear back tomorrow, or some time this week. I'll post when  hear back, hoping to get a good offer!

3 minutes ago, ulyssesbloom said:
3 minutes ago, ulyssesbloom said:

I havent heard back from SAIC fiber/materials yet. Hoping to hear back tomorrow, or some time this week. I'll post when  hear back, hoping to get a good offer!

Hey, just curious about fellow fiber/textile artists. Where all have you applied?

I applied to RISD (accepted with 25% scholarship), SAIC (interview done), Parsons (interview done), gothenburg (interview done), Aalto (they dont do interviews i guess?). 

I thought parsons must be a popular choice considering the rankings and it’s reputation but hardly anyone even mentions it. I was kind of confused between risd and parsons and now im thinking risd might actually be a better choice!

2 minutes ago, fiberartist said:

Hey, just curious about fellow fiber/textile artists. Where all have you applied?

I applied to RISD (accepted with 25% scholarship), SAIC (interview done), Parsons (interview done), gothenburg (interview done), Aalto (they dont do interviews i guess?). 

I thought parsons must be a popular choice considering the rankings and it’s reputation but hardly anyone even mentions it. I was kind of confused between risd and parsons and now im thinking risd might actually be a better choice!

I have several friends studying at Parsons, and the feedback I've received from them is all negative, most of them don't think they get educated what they paid for. I think if you're really into fashion and want to pursue a more practical approach and have a great opportunity to work in NYC, Parsons may be a good choice. However, if you want to focus on installation art or the fine arts field, SAIC and RISD are better options. 

11 hours ago, MFAillustration said:

I am in the same boat as you. Have you heard back about desicions from risd illustration at all? I haven't heard anything yet and it feels like it's getting pretty late.

No, sadly I haven't either. I asked when I would be hearing back from them back during my interview, they said March 6th at the latest. So there's still time!

(Though I'm not feeling very hopeful haha. It's been pretty stressful just waiting and waiting like this.)

2 hours ago, Reee3 said:

I have several friends studying at Parsons, and the feedback I've received from them is all negative, most of them don't think they get educated what they paid for. I think if you're really into fashion and want to pursue a more practical approach and have a great opportunity to work in NYC, Parsons may be a good choice. However, if you want to focus on installation art or the fine arts field, SAIC and RISD are better options. 

Interesting. I was under the impression that parsons and saic focus more on the artistic development and risd is the industry centered course. Based on my conversations with the textile department heads of parsons and risd. 

I am leaning more towards risd because I believe that they provide access to some of the best equipment and also give technical training. The cohort only comprises of 6 students which allows for very fair interactions with the faculty. Parsons on the other hand encourages a more creative unstructured approach from what i understand. Also, the program is fairly new, its only been 5 or 6 years. The only reason I am split is because being in NYC definitely has its advantages in terms of exposure and opportunities to explore, exhibit and work. However, i dont want to chose parsons just because of it’s location. Ugh, its super confusing. 

What do you think about job opportunities post RISD? I am not sure what those look like or how good is the school in terms of helping it’s students excel in the work force after completion. 

21 minutes ago, freshman2024 said:

Possible silly question, but for those that interviewed in person what did you wear? Interview business casual feels wrong for some reason. 

I’ve worn jeans and a sweater and felt pretty good about it. Very stressful though. 

5 minutes ago, Abandonsleep said:

Anyone heard from MICA yet?

Nope. Applied for LeRoy E. Hoffberger and I did not receive any personalized email so far. Three emails of "Stay connected" type of instructions but no interview invitation nor admission results😂

50 minutes ago, Abandonsleep said:

Anyone heard from MICA yet?

41 minutes ago, sad face said:

Nope. Applied for LeRoy E. Hoffberger and I did not receive any personalized email so far. Three emails of "Stay connected" type of instructions but no interview invitation nor admission results😂

I interviewed with Hoffberger on February 5 (invite sent on January 29), but no word since—except the “stay connected” mass emails lol. I think I saw somewhere on their website that we’d hear back by April but woof that’s a long wait 

8 hours ago, fiberartist said:

Interesting. I was under the impression that parsons and saic focus more on the artistic development and risd is the industry centered course. Based on my conversations with the textile department heads of parsons and risd. 

I am leaning more towards risd because I believe that they provide access to some of the best equipment and also give technical training. The cohort only comprises of 6 students which allows for very fair interactions with the faculty. Parsons on the other hand encourages a more creative unstructured approach from what i understand. Also, the program is fairly new, its only been 5 or 6 years. The only reason I am split is because being in NYC definitely has its advantages in terms of exposure and opportunities to explore, exhibit and work. However, i dont want to chose parsons just because of it’s location. Ugh, its super confusing. 

What do you think about job opportunities post RISD? I am not sure what those look like or how good is the school in terms of helping it’s students excel in the work force after completion. 

RISD is a big name, but I'm not sure about the job prospects in the industry. I know some students who choose to become artists or professors. From what I've heard, NYC's artistic community is incredibly strong. I wish you could apply to more schools in NYC. Even students from SAIC believe that NYC offers another level for networking and promoting your art, with many more opportunities to hold exhibitions(I talked with them during open studio night). The negative feedback from Parsons is mainly about the entire school administrative system (You could google parsons on strike to know more details), as well as some professors' assignments that are not even related to what they teach in class. And no, none of them recommended Parsons for me to apply. I think there are definitely problems there.

5 hours ago, freshman2024 said:

Possible silly question, but for those that interviewed in person what did you wear? Interview business casual feels wrong for some reason. 

Lol I feel you, I wore dress pants, nice boots and a turtle neck 

55 minutes ago, freshman2024 said:

Asking one more time if anyone has had any experience interviewing with Rutgers… or how long they take to make decisions there after?

I have my in-person interview on Friday for Rutgers MFA Design. Maybe they're waiting till all interviews are done before notifying?

Has anyone had the experience where a couple of ppl interviewing liked you but one person just really doesn't like your art? I can't tell if it was a performance to show diversity of opinion or if that faculty member had some deep-seated hatred for my art...