MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

Hey guys! Wanted to post an update🥳

Calarts: accepted, aid packet to come this week I think.
CCA: accepted! I also got a 16,000 scholarship but can’t find anything else yet 

Maine college of art: accepted! 

VCU sculpture: rejected, I’m healing tho (lol)

still waiting to hear back from Mount Royal and Cranbrook fiber. I at least I interviewed with MICA, so feeling more hopeful about that one. Sending people much luck and good vibes during this part of the application season! 

4 minutes ago, bunnie99 said:

Graduate students are not eligible for the pell grant. I'm not sure if there's other grant money available. I'm expecting my federal aid to consist mostly or possibly solely of loan offers.

tysm!

3 hours ago, SemiLocalArtRat said:

So far:

Ohio State: Waitlist

CCA: Accepted. 16,000 per year scholarship, have not gotten financial package yet, just scholarship laid out in acceptance letter

RISD: Accepted. 14,000 per year with fellowship and assistantship, full tuition before that is 91,000 (literally no way) Hoping FAFSA comes through for the win here, because dear lord no

Which medium for RISD?

3 hours ago, fiberartist said:

I just heard back from SAIC and i made it! 

I actually reached out to them and they said that all the departments will send out invites by today and by tomorrow at max. 

Also, how does one negotiate the funding? I have never done this before so kind of clueless! Any tips would be appreciated.

Also, what was your undergrad experience at RISD like in terms of faculty guidance and post completion opportunities to exhibit and work?

I also applied to SAIC fibers! On the phone call with them, did they mention how they’re sending out all the invites? Are they meant to arrive in the mail today or are they putting them in the mail today?

gahh!!! I’m anxiously waiting!

So I just got an email from RISD saying there were updates in my portal. I assumed it was just a late notification of my decision that I recieved yesterday, but I looked anyways and all of a sudden I have a $20,000 fellowship along with my $4,000 assistantship? I dont know if there was a mistake originally or if someone else declined and I got their money, but I guess I appreciate it either way 

3 minutes ago, Dougie4life said:

Nice! Had you already reached out to negotiate your funding? Or is this just totally random?

Totally random. I have a phone call scheduled for tomorrow morning to negotiate. A little less sure what we're gonna talk about now though 😆. I still have some questions about what my assistantship actually entails though. RISD is still super expensive, but at least this is more than ~nothing~

50 minutes ago, bunnie99 said:

Totally random. I have a phone call scheduled for tomorrow morning to negotiate. A little less sure what we're gonna talk about now though 😆. I still have some questions about what my assistantship actually entails though. RISD is still super expensive, but at least this is more than ~nothing~

That’s great! I need to set-up a call. Did you set it up with your department head, admissions, or financial aid office?

Does anyone who has applied multiple times have any advice for reapplying to programs and getting letters of recs again? I find letters of rec such a challenging piece of the process because the online portals require people to be computer savvy (a lot of my old professors are older or retired). Or just suggestions about broadening ones networks to make new connections for letters of rec...

Kind of mentally preparing for possible rejections since I'm currently on 2 waitlists.

1 hour ago, bunnie99 said:

I would still try to get more than $20k in scholarships. I assume your 4K assistantship will come along w responsibilities? 

20 hours ago, DeltaG24 said:

I was admitted to Goldsmiths, University of London today, after interviewing two days ago. I am from the US and Painting is my main area of concentration. If there is anyone out there with first-hand knowledge (or can put me in touch with someone) of their MFA fine arts program, please DM me.  Same for the Glasgow School of Art. It is hard to choose just from the info I can find online. 

Have a look at their instagram pages for MFA, and you'll find students - you can send a polite msg on instagram.

I can give you firsthand knowledge of London, the art scene, and how Goldsmiths is currently struggling with funding / political issues. However, I have NOT DONE the MFA, and the two students I knew doing it (who I don't talk to anymore) were generally happy BUT came from money. (A former banker and a child of HNW individuals).

hello,

wondering if anyone on here who does performance can recommend programs that focus on experimental/performance ? certain schools that are known for that? I am thinking perhaps UCLA New Genres? or can recommend professors that are teaching/doing this kind of work ? 

thank you,

17 hours ago, knitmesocks said:

I also applied to SAIC fibers! On the phone call with them, did they mention how they’re sending out all the invites? Are they meant to arrive in the mail today or are they putting them in the mail today?

gahh!!! I’m anxiously waiting!

Hello!
I got in too, received the email last night :))

so happy to find someone applying for fiber! I am an international student so not sure if they’ll be sending any invites physically to me. But I think they meant like emails regarding activating the artic account! Are you considering accepting at SAIC? 

Did you apply anywhere else? If so, where all?