MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

Ok, we're done folks. 

Last "here's where I stand" post

California State San Bernardino: Interviewed 3/12; accepted; accepted admission offer  

Pacific Northwest College of Art: Interviewed 03/6; accepted; declined admission offer 

University of Washington 3D4M: Interviewed 03/11; waitlisted

University of Oregon: Interviewed 01/31; waitlisted 

University of Colorado Boulder: rejected 

4 out of 5 interviews and then 2 out of 4 admission offers isn't too bad I don't think! 

Can't want to get back to SoCal and start in August 🙌

17 minutes ago, chanu2v40 said:

Ok, we're done folks. 

Last "here's where I stand" post

California State San Bernardino: Interviewed 3/12; accepted; accepted admission offer  

Pacific Northwest College of Art: Interviewed 03/6; accepted; declined admission offer 

University of Washington 3D4M: Interviewed 03/11; waitlisted

University of Oregon: Interviewed 01/31; waitlisted 

University of Colorado Boulder: rejected 

4 out of 5 interviews and then 2 out of 4 admission offers isn't too bad I don't think! 

Can't want to get back to SoCal and start in August 🙌

How did you find out you were waitlisted for Washington? 

16 minutes ago, chanu2v40 said:

Got an email from the professor I did my interview with

god, i wish someone from there would email me even if it was rejection so i could not still have hope. i emailed them a week ago for an update and got no response. :( congrats on being accepted in california!!! 

28 minutes ago, g000by said:

god, i wish someone from there would email me even if it was rejection so i could not still have hope. i emailed them a week ago for an update and got no response. :( congrats on being accepted in california!!! 

Ugh, that sounds extremely frustrating. I'm sorry! Did they give you any sort of timeline when you interviewed?

Thanks for the congrats! I'd actually already accepted the offer to CA before I got waitlisted this morning 😅 Just made me realize I definitely made the right decision. 

Hey MFA 2024 crew! Massive congrats on all your acceptances and the diverse range of schools you've applied to. It's impressive to see how many doors have opened up, even ones we might not have considered initially. Seriously, you're all rock stars, and I'm really proud of each and every one of you.

Now, onto my current dilemma. While I'm pretty content with minimizing the financial strain of my degree, I'm stuck choosing between UT-Austin and UCSD. Both are offering full tuition coverage plus some impressive stipends. UT-Austin is offering $25,000 per year for two years, while UCSD is a bit higher at an average of $37,000 per year for three years. Both programs sound amazing, and I feel confident in my ability to thrive in either.

Economically, Austin seems like the more favorable option due to lower living costs and no state income tax, potentially balancing out the slightly lower stipend. But UCSD's longer program duration is appealing because it offers more time to develop my artistic practice and craft a solid MFA thesis show. I've heard great things about their structured program too.

Reflecting on past experiences and chats with MFA pals, opinions on program length vary. Some love the intensity of a two-year program, while others appreciate the depth of exploration a three-year program allows. And then there's that niggling worry about "losing" a year, especially as I'm approaching the end of my twenties. It's a nagging concern, but maybe it's just my brain overthinking things.

Ultimately, I know this decision is deeply personal, but I'd love to hear your thoughts and insights. What's your take on the three-year vs. two-year debate? And hey, if anyone has some juicy gossip or insider info about either program, spill the tea! I'm slightly leaning towards UCSD because of the higher stipend and the allure of experiencing SoCal life for the first time.

Thanks a bunch, everyone. Your input means the world to me!

Edited by MFASkepticism

Hello all! 

I am debating between SAIC and Cranbrook Sculpture until the very last minute. I got a full ride from Cranbrook but nothing from SAIC. I am drawn to Cranbrook for various reasons: artist in residence, sense of community, financial support, etc, yet I just want to make sure that I am not missing out on anything. SAIC certainly has a great facility and more faculty members! What are your thoughts? 

2 hours ago, MFASkepticism said:

Hey MFA 2024 crew! Massive congrats on all your acceptances and the diverse range of schools you've applied to. It's impressive to see how many doors have opened up, even ones we might not have considered initially. Seriously, you're all rock stars, and I'm really proud of each and every one of you.

Now, onto my current dilemma. While I'm pretty content with minimizing the financial strain of my degree, I'm stuck choosing between UT-Austin and UCSD. Both are offering full tuition coverage plus some impressive stipends. UT-Austin is offering $25,000 per year for two years, while UCSD is a bit higher at an average of $37,000 per year for three years. Both programs sound amazing, and I feel confident in my ability to thrive in either.

Economically, Austin seems like the more favorable option due to lower living costs and no state income tax, potentially balancing out the slightly lower stipend. But UCSD's longer program duration is appealing because it offers more time to develop my artistic practice and craft a solid MFA thesis show. I've heard great things about their structured program too.

Reflecting on past experiences and chats with MFA pals, opinions on program length vary. Some love the intensity of a two-year program, while others appreciate the depth of exploration a three-year program allows. And then there's that niggling worry about "losing" a year, especially as I'm approaching the end of my twenties. It's a nagging concern, but maybe it's just my brain overthinking things.

Ultimately, I know this decision is deeply personal, but I'd love to hear your thoughts and insights. What's your take on the three-year vs. two-year debate? And hey, if anyone has some juicy gossip or insider info about either program, spill the tea! I'm slightly leaning towards UCSD because of the higher stipend and the allure of experiencing SoCal life for the first time.

Thanks a bunch, everyone. Your input means the world to me!

It depends on the work you are making but I've heard amazing things from UCSD. They have impressive faculty as well. You will be better connected and closer to LA area which seems to be doing quite well artistically. I would go with ucsd. 

6 hours ago, bools1 said:

Hello all! 

I am debating between SAIC and Cranbrook Sculpture until the very last minute. I got a full ride from Cranbrook but nothing from SAIC. I am drawn to Cranbrook for various reasons: artist in residence, sense of community, financial support, etc, yet I just want to make sure that I am not missing out on anything. SAIC certainly has a great facility and more faculty members! What are your thoughts? 

I may be biased considering I’m going to attend Cranbrook myself, but I currently work at well-standing museum and in conversations with the Head and Contemporary curators early in my app process, they definitely gave the impression Cranbrook is considered the more prestigious of the two 🤷🏼‍♀️ plus a full ride?? I know what I’d do if I were you lol

19 hours ago, wickedwired said:

It depends on the work you are making but I've heard amazing things from UCSD. They have impressive faculty as well. You will be better connected and closer to LA area which seems to be doing quite well artistically. I would go with ucsd. 

I would go to UCSD. A friend went to Austin and had an "eh" time in the Painting MFA but now they have a good job at the University. In general I think 3 years is a better deal. Austin is not as expensive as San Diego but it isn't cheap to live there either. 

Hello🙂 How is everyone doing during this time? We all did a great job going through this long process.

I have a question here. 
I’m an international applicant, and really need your opinions.
My major is sculpture, and I would like to choose between two schools. 

One is RISD and the other is the UCL Slade school of fine art in the UK.
I am thinking of continuing my art career after graduation, but I am wondering which one is the better choice considering the current art scene.

(Scholarships are very small, so they do not affect my choice.) If you have any opinions or thoughts on these, it would be very helpful for me to decide between them. 

Ps.  if you're going to or won't join the Columbia Sculpture Department, please let me know! Thank you!

22 hours ago, nanaaaa said:

Is anyone else also still waiting for some decisions or replies? It feels like it's been forever  🙃

I'm still waiting for Long Beach State, I was told they are still reviewing applications. And I'm waiting to see if I get off some waitlists that I'm on because I'm not sure if I want to go to UCSB 🫠

20 hours ago, MFAturtle said:

Hello🙂 How is everyone doing during this time? We all did a great job going through this long process.

I have a question here. 
I’m an international applicant, and really need your opinions.
My major is sculpture, and I would like to choose between two schools. 

One is RISD and the other is the UCL Slade school of fine art in the UK.
I am thinking of continuing my art career after graduation, but I am wondering which one is the better choice considering the current art scene.

(Scholarships are very small, so they do not affect my choice.) If you have any opinions or thoughts on these, it would be very helpful for me to decide between them. 

Ps.  if you're going to or won't join the Columbia Sculpture Department, please let me know! Thank you!

hey i will probably be declining my columbia sculpture offer

*most certainly. I am waiting on some response from financial aid but I am pretty sure I will not be accepting. 

Edited by cinnamoroll8

10 minutes ago, cinnamoroll8 said:

hey i will probably be declining my columbia sculpture offer

*most certainly. I am waiting on some response from financial aid but I am pretty sure I will not be accepting. 

Thank you for sharing your decision.
I don't know the final school you will choose, but I hope you decide where it will work best for you! 😃🍀good luck my friend.