NDSEG 2023-2024

foundnemo44

Hi everyone, 

I noticed no one had started a thread for this years application so i went ahead and did it. I have so many questions and would generally like to hear from people who are applying or have applied. I applied last year and didn't make it past the first round of review and am trying again this year. I would be extremely grateful if anyone who has had success with the NDSEG fellowship would be willing to share their proposal, but if you don't feel comfortable with that I'll still be thankful for any perspectives you can provide! Good luck everyone😀

the anonymity requirements paired with the lack of research funding and their refusal to come out and say "you dont have to do the research you write about" or to give some guidelines in that area makes it extremely tricky to write something compelling yet feasible. very frustrating but i need money so i will try my best lol

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, jazzcat said:

The redaction requirements in this application are absurd.

In your redacted CV, how did you list your publications? Just by including the name and year of publication? Or did you also have a brief description of them?

I think im just going to list everything except the list of authors? I agree the redaction thing is ridiculous but it is slightly better than last year since you have the option to submit an unredacted proposal. However, I'm assuming the unredacted version will only ever be seen if your application makes it to the second round of review...which is the biggest hurdle to get past. Are you guys writing a proposal that is based on a hypothetical research budget (that you don't have) or are you writing a proposal that you can realistically complete with money/resources you already have in hand? 

6 hours ago, foundnemo44 said:

list of authors? I agree the redaction thing is ridiculous but it is slightly better than last year since you have the option to submit an unredacted proposal. However, I'm assuming the un

Just a heads up. I reached out to the Program Office asking about the publications section on the redacted CV, and they told me not to include the journal's name.

15 hours ago, jazzcat said:

Just a heads up. I reached out to the Program Office asking about the publications section on the redacted CV, and they told me not to include the journal's name.

thanks for letting me know! i noticed after i replied that they updated the FAQ to include that info...a bit late to be doing that. I wish the application process didn't change every year lol 

• 2 months later...

I was looking at a thread from last year, and by this point, some people had received updates on their applications. Has anyone received any updates so far? For me, the portal says that my application status is "Under Evaluation."

On 1/12/2024 at 2:39 PM, jazzcat said:

I was looking at a thread from last year, and by this point, some people had received updates on their applications. Has anyone received any updates so far? For me, the portal says that my application status is "Under Evaluation."

Still getting "Under Evaluation" on my end

I wouldn’t bank on anything from last years thread being a useful or accurate timeline. They have switched back to a different system they haven’t used in the past two application cycles. The email I got after I submitted my app said they will release results on March 31, 2024. 

9 hours ago, foundnemo44 said:

my application hasn't been viewed/edited/reviewed or whatever since 12/2/23. I definitely got more incremental updates/date changes by this point last year. What date are your applications showing? 

My application was last edited on 12/1/24. 

1 hour ago, traversingwyvern said:

Hi all! Where are you all able to see when your application was last edited? All I'm able to see is "Under Evaluation" at the top. I'm just curious if I'm missing something!

click on "applicant" in the top right corner, then click on "application". Then your discipline and date of last update should be shown in red 

So, now I am wondering if they just moved all the applications offline in December. In past years you could see updates as people moved through the review process, and there were always some people who would call/email then every time there was an update. I'm also wondering if anyone got those warning emails this year regarding identifiable information they would be allowed to go back and fix. 

On 1/23/2024 at 11:19 PM, smiling.bryozoa said:

Obviously I meant mine was updated 12/1/23*

I'm dying to know if anyone has had theirs updated since the beginning of December. Normally you would see an update by now for people who made it passed the first review stage. But yeah this year's application was very different. 

No update since 12/1/23 on my end either. We are sitting ducks it seems.

I am pretty sure reviews are probably just starting or haven’t even started yet. On the panelist tab it says:

Panelist review approximately 20 applications via the DoD NDSEG FM Web Application in late January to early February. The application consists of the basic application-contact information along with a 3-page proposal, a 1-page personal statement, 3 references, transcripts, and GRE scores.

My guess would be the December updates were after checking all the PII requirements. 

I haven't gotten any update since 12/1/2023... Still holding out that those updates mentioned were just people getting assigned to reviewers and hopefully mine will be updated soon. Really hope they don't just do desk rejections...

On 2/1/2024 at 3:18 PM, thewire said:

Could it be that we have the same reviewer(s)? My field is Electrical Engineering/Optics

My guess is that it’s this. My friend and I both applied for Materials Science and Engineering and neither of us have received any updates.