NDSEG 2023-2024

foundnemo44

14 hours ago, confessionsofaphysicsgeek said:

My guess is that it’s this. My friend and I both applied for Materials Science and Engineering and neither of us have received any updates. 

Yeah, I think so too. It's weird that this year's application has a later evaluation period compared to last cycle's late November to mid January, but us being currently in the evaluation period would explain why some of us have gotten updates starting from 1/31 (given that the website states it's from late January to early February). It's a little concerning that the panelists seem to only be given a week or two to review our applications, but all the information available to us seems to point to that. Hopefully we'll find out about whether or not we passed panelist review sometime soon.

On 2/6/2024 at 12:06 AM, thewire said:

Yeah, I think so too. It's weird that this year's application has a later evaluation period compared to last cycle's late November to mid January, but us being currently in the evaluation period would explain why some of us have gotten updates starting from 1/31 (given that the website states it's from late January to early February). It's a little concerning that the panelists seem to only be given a week or two to review our applications, but all the information available to us seems to point to that. Hopefully we'll find out about whether or not we passed panelist review sometime soon.

I'm starting to doubt my theory. The fact that all the updates we've received have been banked leade me to believe it's the program contractor updating the portal. Historically they've updated the portal manually, so maybe they had internal deadlines reached before 12/1 and before 2/1, at which point they'd updated all applicable applicants' portals. 

It's also possible there are different internal deadlines for different fields.

12 hours ago, thewire said:

I'm starting to doubt my theory. The fact that all the updates we've received have been banked leade me to believe it's the program contractor updating the portal. Historically they've updated the portal manually, so maybe they had internal deadlines reached before 12/1 and before 2/1, at which point they'd updated all applicable applicants' portals. 

It's also possible there are different internal deadlines for different fields.

Can you elaborate on what you mean?

6 hours ago, chemrunner said:

Can you elaborate on what you mean?

I'm trying to understand what's going on behind the scenes with our applications' evaluation. Because everyone here has had updates ~12/1 or ~2/1, I think each of these times corresponds to a different step in the evaluation process (eg. 12/1 was the program verifying all personal information, and 2/1 was panel evaluations being updated in our portal). It's also possible each field has different deadlines for panelists, so maybe (for instance) oceanography is still waiting for panelists to finish but aero's deadline was late January. Idk though, I'm just trying to extrapolate process information without good data

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody received any updates from biomedical engineering?! I still haven't received an update since 12/1/2023. If there aren't any updates, is this a bad sign, or they just haven't gotten to my application yet? Like will they reach out if my application doesn't move to the next round? 

On 2/19/2024 at 9:52 AM, BCI_king said:

Has anybody received any updates from biomedical engineering?! I still haven't received an update since 12/1/2023. If there aren't any updates, is this a bad sign, or they just haven't gotten to my application yet? Like will they reach out if my application doesn't move to the next round? 

Biomedical engineering applicant here and I also have not received an update since 12/1/2023

On 2/19/2024 at 6:52 AM, BCI_king said:

I'm biomed engineering and I had an update on 2/1/2024.

I feel like the panelist selection has probably finished - if results are out 3/31 the DoD program offices probably have the applications by now. Although we have no way of knowing if 2/1 updates are for those that passed the panelist phase, or for those that didn't pass.

On 2/23/2024 at 5:53 PM, thewire said:

I feel like the panelist selection has probably finished - if results are out 3/31 the DoD program offices probably have the applications by now. Although we have no way of knowing if 2/1 updates are for those that passed the panelist phase, or for those that didn't pass.

I had emailed them a week or two ago to ask why my date (12/1/2023) hadn't moved yet (it still has not changed). This is what they said "We are still reviewing the applications; you can expect to receive your status tentatively around April/May."

So I wouldn't bank on hearing anything by the end of March...

Edited by confessionsofaphysicsgeek

• 2 weeks later...

first time applicant (and last year of eligibility bc I had no idea these existed, only knew about HHMI/NSF/NIH F31/Ford)

I haven't seen an update since 11/14/23 on the SysPlus application like y'all talk about. But I got an email on 11/20 saying they got my app successfully or whatever. 

Since we can't track review process this year, but I didn't even get the 12/1 update, should I assume I didn't even go to SME or round 2 panels? My prof asked me the other day if I knew my status and I am just wondering if it's safe to say I was desk rejected since I never got any updates...

On 3/10/2024 at 9:57 PM, pandayoexpress said:

first time applicant (and last year of eligibility bc I had no idea these existed, only knew about HHMI/NSF/NIH F31/Ford)

I haven't seen an update since 11/14/23 on the SysPlus application like y'all talk about. But I got an email on 11/20 saying they got my app successfully or whatever. 

Since we can't track review process this year, but I didn't even get the 12/1 update, should I assume I didn't even go to SME or round 2 panels? My prof asked me the other day if I knew my status and I am just wondering if it's safe to say I was desk rejected since I never got any updates...

Depending on what your focus is, have you considered applying for a USDA Workforce Development Grant? They have fellowships for pre-doc who have reached the candidacy phase. Applications are usually due in Mid Oct or Mid Nov. USDA is usually pretty flexible on what they consider in-scope as long as you can make a sound justification. I have gotten funding for them with a "novel fit" proposal that I am currently completing and they have been very supportive. I would consider USDA.  

Did anyone else get an update yesterday? I'm biomedical engineering. I had a 2/1 update but got a 3/12 update last night. Anyone want to help me read tea leaves and guess what that means? 

5 hours ago, bubbleGal said:

Did anyone else get an update yesterday? I'm biomedical engineering. I had a 2/1 update but got a 3/12 update last night. Anyone want to help me read tea leaves and guess what that means? 

Sounds like good news, I still have 2/1.

On 3/12/2024 at 10:25 AM, smiling.bryozoa said:

Depending on what your focus is, have you considered applying for a USDA Workforce Development Grant? They have fellowships for pre-doc who have reached the candidacy phase. Applications are usually due in Mid Oct or Mid Nov. USDA is usually pretty flexible on what they consider in-scope as long as you can make a sound justification. I have gotten funding for them with a "novel fit" proposal that I am currently completing and they have been very supportive. I would consider USDA.  

This is interesting, thanks for sharing.  What discipline is your PhD?

On 3/13/2024 at 10:38 AM, bubbleGal said:

Which agency did you pick for your BAA?

Just found this thread - to add a data point, I applied in Geosciences to an ARO BAA. My application shows last update 2/1/2024 (tbh not sure if there were updates before then, I kind of forgot to check until recently)