2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

51 minutes ago, cbsag123 said:

How old is everyone when they start the phd in the fall? And how old is too old? Asking for a friend

I will turn 33 in the fall during the first semester of my PhD. I finished my master's almost a decade ago. This whole application process has been pretty brutal in terms of making me feel old. I'm trying to just own the fact that I already teach political science at community college and have professional experience in the field- I'll leave being young and promising to the kiddos 😅 

My spouse finished his PhD last year at 41. Time is going to pass anyway, might as well have the degree at the end of it. 

1 hour ago, vadis said:

I will turn 33 in the fall during the first semester of my PhD. I finished my master's almost a decade ago. This whole application process has been pretty brutal in terms of making me feel old. I'm trying to just own the fact that I already teach political science at community college and have professional experience in the field- I'll leave being young and promising to the kiddos 😅 

My spouse finished his PhD last year at 41. Time is going to pass anyway, might as well have the degree at the end of it. 

I will be turning 35 by the beginning of the program. I have a masters and a JD; worked in politics and international organizations. Since I completed high school I wanted to pursue a career as a scholar in law/political science, but life got in the middle (mom got sick and the bill was huge; needed to contribute financially with my family). I am at a point where sometimes I got the voice saying I’m too old for this; but at the same time I am enjoying the fact I will be able to do something I have been postponing for a long time. Also, the programs I got into are willing to recognize previous coursework to some extent to hopefully it will be somewhere between 4-5 years to complete the program. ☺️

7 minutes ago, linze said:

I will be turning 35 by the beginning of the program. I have a masters and a JD; worked in politics and international organizations. Since I completed high school I wanted to pursue a career as a scholar in law/political science, but life got in the middle (mom got sick and the bill was huge; needed to contribute financially with my family). I am at a point where sometimes I got the voice saying I’m too old for this; but at the same time I am enjoying the fact I will be able to do something I have been postponing for a long time. Also, the programs I got into are willing to recognize previous coursework to some extent to hopefully it will be somewhere between 4-5 years to complete the program. ☺️

I'm in a similar situation in that I've had a lot of "life stuff" happen to me between my last grad school venture and applying to programs, including major illness I also definitely hear the voice that I'm too old, too sick, etc. I am lucky to work at two colleges, in that I've had good moral support from my colleagues who have been through a PhD and/or med school telling me I'm neither too old, nor too sick. The time for postponing is over! 

So far I haven't been able to get any schools to accept prior coursework just due to how long ago it was, but that's awesome that you were able to! 

2 hours ago, vadis said:

25 minutes ago, linze said:

I feel all of this lol. I will turn 33 this summer, and this process has definitely made me feel old. 

i'd always thought that the extra years of work experience after college would drastically change one's outlook alongside their research interests. during undergrad i was hyper-focused on democratic theory; but after doing policy work for a number of years (and getting disillusioned) i made a pivot to the financial/economic side of things, which served as a basis for my proposed research topics.

5 hours ago, Samzz said:

Just wondering--has Madison released all their decisions? Have applied for CP track, have not heard back. Many thanks!

Unfortunately I couldn’t say, have no clue of what’s going on with admissions. Last year they did release rejections after acceptances though 

17 minutes ago, HumanHusky said:

Heyy Guys 
Congratulations on the offers received 
I got a rejection from Uni of Chicago but haven't heard back from UC Berkeley or Johns Hopkins, Does anybody here have any updates I'm super nervous 

a couple of people here claimed Berkeley a while ago back in Jan, not sure abt jhu - seems like some people claimed interviews?

5 minutes ago, Polisci24 said:

a couple of people here claimed Berkeley a while ago back in Jan, not sure abt jhu - seems like some people claimed interviews?

So does this mean Berkeley will now send rejections? I'm shit scared because haven't heard anything either from UCB or JHU
It would be helpful if someone who received positive responses from either of these unis can a little bit elaborate about this situation 

26 minutes ago, HumanHusky said:

So does this mean Berkeley will now send rejections? I'm shit scared because haven't heard anything either from UCB or JHU
It would be helpful if someone who received positive responses from either of these unis can a little bit elaborate about this situation 

i applied to berkeley and haven't heard anything. since they already sent out acceptance and waitlist, i'll consider mine as a rejection (but ofc worth waiting until they actually send a final decision). u can scroll back to early posts in the forum - i believe people claimed berkeley (both acceptance and wl) 

Edited by Polisci24

8 hours ago, Ir2024 said:

Is anybody else applying to the University of Cincinnati or know when we should expect to hear back from them? The results section seems all over the place.

I've been waiting from them too. I did have a family member accepted for a totally different program though.

10 minutes ago, sxrahkate said:

I've been waiting from them too. I did have a family member accepted for a totally different program though.

Any knowledge on if the stipend was decent? What subfield are you btw?

Edited by Ir2024

13 minutes ago, Ir2024 said:

Any knowledge on if the stipend was decent?

She did not say. It was for occupational therapy medicine and I am unsure if different types of programs have different awards. She is an Ohio resident too.

She was waitlisted and then accepted too.  

---

I am American Politics subfield! 

Edited by sxrahkate

5 hours ago, sxrahkate said:

She did not say. It was for occupational therapy medicine and I am unsure if different types of programs have different awards. She is an Ohio resident too.

She was waitlisted and then accepted too.  

---

I am American Politics subfield! 

Well hopefully we both hear positive results from them soon. I love their department for IR.