2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

23 minutes ago, polisci119 said:

Has UNC sent rejections for this year? have not heard anything from it so far

Also could you guys give me some advice on what to do for the next academic year in order to apply for a PhD for the next time? As I perhaps would be rejected by all the unis that I applied to. Would doing a third master's a kinda waste of time, as the committee may perceive me as an 'academically incompetent' student?

Boring facts about myself: International student with an undergrad in IR, two masters in UK and Ireland respectively (Ireland one is ongoing)

First of all: Don't lose hope! This cycle is far from over.

To your question: I think it really depends what kind of master programs you are speaking of. I myself will have two master degrees, but both are in fields that make sense for my academic profile in that they are narrowing down my sub-specialization. Say, one master in more general political science and one master in area studies, specifically to the region I would like to focus on in CP. Having two or even three master's in the same general field (ergo "just" political science, IR etc.) would indeed seem a bit off. Two master's is usually the maximum you see. Maybe try to gain research experience in between? Reach out to professors and ask if they are aware of RA positions or pre-doc programs? Find a think tank or NGO that is closely related to your research area? In the end, it is most important to keep your research idea "alive" and stay in good contact with your recommenders. But yes, I would say that now is the time to prove some of your research capabilities, and a related job would be more worth than a third master. Of course, it also is a financial decision in the end. I was only able to do both master's because I received full funding for both... Work experience is never seen as something bad, even if unrelated to Political Science for a year or so. And if you by any chance have financial flexibility, try to setup a research project yourself, do some fieldwork and try to publish something based on that! This will all be much more worth than a generic third master degree.

1 hour ago, JPYSD said:

First of all: Don't lose hope! This cycle is far from over.

To your question: I think it really depends what kind of master programs you are speaking of. I myself will have two master degrees, but both are in fields that make sense for my academic profile in that they are narrowing down my sub-specialization. Say, one master in more general political science and one master in area studies, specifically to the region I would like to focus on in CP. Having two or even three master's in the same general field (ergo "just" political science, IR etc.) would indeed seem a bit off. Two master's is usually the maximum you see. Maybe try to gain research experience in between? Reach out to professors and ask if they are aware of RA positions or pre-doc programs? Find a think tank or NGO that is closely related to your research area? In the end, it is most important to keep your research idea "alive" and stay in good contact with your recommenders. But yes, I would say that now is the time to prove some of your research capabilities, and a related job would be more worth than a third master. Of course, it also is a financial decision in the end. I was only able to do both master's because I received full funding for both... Work experience is never seen as something bad, even if unrelated to Political Science for a year or so. And if you by any chance have financial flexibility, try to setup a research project yourself, do some fieldwork and try to publish something based on that! This will all be much more worth than a generic third master degree.

thank you for all of these, it helps a lot!

Wow. I also got a waitlist from Princeton. I understand previous comments have said that WL tend to be more of a financial decision, but if any of you do know if you get an offer elsewhere that you'd accept, please do inform them! I know that most of the other top schools still haven't sent out a decision, so I know you will all take some time. Help out this refugee boy to get into one of the best schools in the world!

Anyway, this is probably the best day of my life, good luck everyone!

50 minutes ago, london_boy said:

Wow. I also got a waitlist from Princeton. I understand previous comments have said that WL tend to be more of a financial decision, but if any of you do know if you get an offer elsewhere that you'd accept, please do inform them! I know that most of the other top schools still haven't sent out a decision, so I know you will all take some time. Help out this refugee boy to get into one of the best schools in the world!

Anyway, this is probably the best day of my life, good luck everyone!

I also received a WL from Princeton. For me, this is a rejection since I believe nobody would reject Princeton. But I'm curious about the 'financial decision' you mentioned. Could you elaborate more on this? Thank you!

Claiming Columbia acceptance! Omg, over the moon! 5a/2w/2r/4p CP subfield

Edited by LeoPS
add info

5 minutes ago, Sen01 said:

I also received a WL from Princeton. For me, this is a rejection since I believe nobody would reject Princeton. But I'm curious about the 'financial decision' you mentioned. Could you elaborate more on this? Thank you!

Well, as a lot of people have mentioned here, it is also a financial decision for them. They tend to limit their acceptances vis-à-vis a budget that they have in mind. The Graduate School may give more money and thus they will accept people off the waitlist. 

Concerning people who reject Princeton, I mean it is highly likely that people who get Princeton, also get Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, and Yale, and that due to fit reasons may prefer one over Princeton. 

1 minute ago, london_boy said:

Well, as a lot of people have mentioned here, it is also a financial decision for them. They tend to limit their acceptances vis-à-vis a budget that they have in mind. The Graduate School may give more money and thus they will accept people off the waitlist. 

Concerning people who reject Princeton, I mean it is highly likely that people who get Princeton, also get Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, and Yale, and that due to fit reasons may prefer one over Princeton. 

Thank you for the info! And you're right, I guess I was too pessimistic. Anyway, like you, I'm also very happy to know that I'm on WL.

Best of luck with everything!

3 minutes ago, Ytc1212 said:

Claiming Columbia acceptance!!! Email to check portal

super excited after getting a couple rejections in a row 

Congrats!! 

Question, when did you receive a rejection from Duke?

2 minutes ago, Polisci882 said:

Has anyone doing American Politics heard anything from UNC or Georgetown? 

I'm waiting to hear back from both, but I'm CP.

I see many people in here being accepted to many incredible schools and I’m so happy about that. But, I want to say that if there’s anyone in this chat who hasn’t gotten an offer yet, please don’t lose hope. I’ve gotten one offer, but I’ve also gotten many, many rejections. Six in fact. To those who have one or no offers, you’re not alone. I just wanted to say that because people might feel less inclined to speak in this chat if they aren’t getting good news. 

If anyone here got accepted into Vanderbilt and is willing to chat, please DM me! I'd love to bounce some questions around and talk about the program, since I don't think I'll be able to get time off work to attend Admit Week.