2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

2 hours ago, ashafrash said:

sorry if this has been asked before, but is the general consensus to not email about applications? I thought I heard something like that but want to ask before emailing one of my schools. thanks!!

As difficult as this waiting process is, the general wisdom is to not email about applications. Hang in there! 

16 hours ago, Ir2024 said:

Claiming the GMU acceptance. Randomly checked the portal and saw an update. I have yet to hear anything about funding though. IR subfield.

Hey congrats! IR subfield at GMU here too! I didn't see any funding info in the admission package also. 

13 hours ago, ashafrash said:

sorry if this has been asked before, but is the general consensus to not email about applications? I thought I heard something like that but want to ask before emailing one of my schools. thanks!!

it doesn't hurt to write an email of inquiry in a professional manner. but most likely the school will ask you to keep waiting.

4 minutes ago, Palmier said:

Hi, I see many rejections from Columbia on gradcafe. But I still don't get any email (rejection/ waitlist). Does anyone know what this means Thank you!

It was a generic email to check the portal so if you've already checked there:

"You may view the update by logging in to the online application here. In the “Status Update” section of your Application Status page, please click on “View Update.” A new browser window will appear with your decision letter.

If you do not see the letter, contact us at gsas-admissions@columbia.edu with the subject line “Missing Decision Letter.” In the body of the email, please include your full name and your Applicant ID number."

Maybe try emailing them if you still can't see a letter? Unrelated but I got rejected lol.

1 hour ago, Palmier said:

Hi, I see many rejections from Columbia on gradcafe. But I still don't get any email (rejection/ waitlist). Does anyone know what this means Thank you!

Did you check the portal? Should be a "View update" button. If nothing, the generic email which told me to check the portal said if you can't view your letter email  gsas-admissions@columbia.edu with the subject "Missing Decision Letter" and include your app number from the portal and a kind, short message. Good luck! Btw I got rejected lol

2 hours ago, Palmier said:

It could mean any of the three decisions (you could still be admitted, waitlisted, or denied). PhD programs seemingly release decisions how they want to, when they want to. 

7 minutes ago, Polisci882 said:

It could mean any of the three decisions (you could still be admitted, waitlisted, or denied). PhD programs seemingly release decisions how they want to, when they want to. 

😂 I prefer they reject me ASAP! 

2 hours ago, platosman said:

Did you check the portal? Should be a "View update" button. If nothing, the generic email which told me to check the portal said if you can't view your letter email  gsas-admissions@columbia.edu with the subject "Missing Decision Letter" and include your app number from the portal and a kind, short message. Good luck! Btw I got rejected lol

yes, I have checked the portal. Nothing has changed. No "Status Update" section. I will wait for the rejection 😂

While it is quiet...

I'm travelling soon to go to a visitation day for one of the programs I was accepted to. I don't have the full schedule yet, but it looks like I will get to meet with faculty and current students, tour campus, and whatnot. I'm trying to figure out how to prepare and what to pack (they aren't paying for checked luggage lol). 

Has anyone been to one of these visits, and if so do you have any advice on what to ask, what to wear (are these things pretty formal, or is business casual ok), etc? There is some good advice a few pages back about questions for the faculty/dept chair, but I need the scoop on how to make a good impression and get the info I need 🙃

Does anyone have insight into what the faculty meetings on admitted student visitation weekends are for? I have a visit to a program this weekend and part of it is meeting with faculty. I assume it’s more of a casual chat and not an interview, considering I’ve been accepted already. 

35 minutes ago, vadis said:

While it is quiet...

I'm travelling soon to go to a visitation day for one of the programs I was accepted to. I don't have the full schedule yet, but it looks like I will get to meet with faculty and current students, tour campus, and whatnot. I'm trying to figure out how to prepare and what to pack (they aren't paying for checked luggage lol). 

Has anyone been to one of these visits, and if so do you have any advice on what to ask, what to wear (are these things pretty formal, or is business casual ok), etc? There is some good advice a few pages back about questions for the faculty/dept chair, but I need the scoop on how to make a good impression and get the info I need 🙃

I think the dress is more business casual (not especially formal, but also not informal). I’m a male, so I’m planning to pack button up/polo shirts and pants. Pack comfortable walking shoes too, as you’ll likely be on your feet for much of the day

40 minutes ago, tired999 said:

are we expecting cornell today?

i'm expecting cornell sometime next week, but i saw someone a few days ago say that they expected cornell today so idk

48 minutes ago, tired999 said:

are we expecting cornell today?

5 minutes ago, amp2324 said:

i'm expecting cornell sometime next week, but i saw someone a few days ago say that they expected cornell today so idk

Out of the Past 5 years Cornell has released on 2/14 twice, 2/16 twice, and 2/22 once, which was the 4th Monday of Feb if I recall right. So, I'm expecting odds are today or Friday ~80% and if not its gotta be Monday. Top choice for me if you couldn't tell lol

1 minute ago, platosman said:

Out of the Past 5 years Cornell has released on 2/14 twice, 2/16 twice, and 2/22 once, which was the 4th Monday of Feb if I recall right. So, I'm expecting odds are today or Friday ~80% and if not its gotta be Monday. Top choice for me if you couldn't tell lol

Well good luck to you!!! I tend to err on the side of caution and assume i'll have to wait longer- that way I can be pleasantly surprised if I hear back sooner lol