2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

Hi, everyone. This is my second time applying; I was very active on this forum the first time, and I'm a lurker this second time. 

It seems like this year Maryland is sending their decisions in a more personalized way than other schools, so if anyone got a decision in the CP subfield (it does not matter if you were accepted, wl, or rejected), please let me know the DMs, I have a question. Thanks in advance.

Congratulations to those admitted everywhere, and good luck to everyone else (including me).

13 minutes ago, platosman said:

Congrats to those who got good news from Cornell! Anyone in the theory subfield hear anything? Any info is greatly appreciated!!

Hi! Cornell theory applicant -- I have not heard anything. I don't know if these all came out at the same time or what. Theory has been minimally accepted this rotation, it seems. 

59 minutes ago, platosman said:

Congrats to those who got good news from Cornell! Anyone in the theory subfield hear anything? Any info is greatly appreciated!!

45 minutes ago, politicalscience33 said:

Hi! Cornell theory applicant -- I have not heard anything. I don't know if these all came out at the same time or what. Theory has been minimally accepted this rotation, it seems. 

I’m also in Theory and am yet to hear anything—the only Political Theory programme I’ve heard back from so far has been a McGill rejection, still waiting on 3 more (including Cornell)

Has anyone been accepted to UT Austin and is planning on differing admissions? I'm on the waitlist, and a few faculty are telling me to wait on accepting admissions elsewhere in hopes of finding a place for me at UT Austin before the April 15th deadline. I wonder if they're being sincere in finding me a placement or blowing smoke up my, you know what. . . .   

46 minutes ago, OrlandHistorian said:

Has anyone been accepted to UT Austin and is planning on differing admissions? I'm on the waitlist, and a few faculty are telling me to wait on accepting admissions elsewhere in hopes of finding a place for me at UT Austin before the April 15th deadline. I wonder if they're being sincere in finding me a placement or blowing smoke up my, you know what. . . .   

i was also waitlisted, and i was told that there won't be any meaningful waitlist movement until at least march. but i had not heard a peep from the faculty as i did not previously establish contact with any of them.

Edited by barthestow

Hello, I submitted my application for the Master's Program at Penn State on January 3rd, 2024, for the fall 2024 program. Initially, my current status indicated, "The initial phase of the admission process has been completed. Your application is now pending review by the program/plan of study admissions committee. Please be patient; you will be contacted by the program/plan of study directly when a decision has been made. Questions should be directed to your intended program/plan of study." Since last Saturday, the status has changed to, "The Graduate School has received your application. If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact your intended program/plan of study." Does this mean that the department has accepted or rejected my application? On the Penn State website, I found the following information: "Determination of Eligibility: The Graduate School confirms eligibility for admission of all graduate degree applicants, while programs select and recommend applicants for offers of admission. Final approval of admission to all graduate degree programs lies with the Graduate School." I am bit confused if this is just a change in status or an indicator that a decision has been made and the grad school has the final say about my eligibility.

2 hours ago, Polisci24 said:

Hi don't give up yet. Cornell usually sends out a couple of waitlists after acceptance then will be rejections. Finger crossed. Good luck.

Appreciate you saying this. I had the best fit at Cornell and it's my top choice by far. So far all I've got is a wait list at Boston Univ so I'd take whatever I can get!

28 minutes ago, Infinity203 said:

Is there anyone who heard from URochester, seems like they are not at all interested in even sending out the first round of selections. And, it's February, 20. 

I think there were 3 acceptances posted in the results page. If you set the search filter to Rochester you will find them.

Hi! I’m CP and I was interviewed by Georgetown and haven’t heard anything yet. I’m guessing a rejection or waitlist, but they did tell me during the interview that waitlisted candidates would be able to attend the open house. I’d like to plan ahead since I’ll be needing to take days off work for any visiting students weekend. Should I email the professors that interviewed me and ask for an update? I don’t want to sound disrespectful.

Claiming an earlier Yale acceptance (no official notification yet, just an email from a Professor I indicated on SOP). Theory subfield.

Edited by LSM99

1 hour ago, politics2704 said:

What is your subfield?

I'm IR. From what I've heard, UT has separate waitlists for each subfield. Also, they're admitting fewer people in 2024 because about two-thirds of those admitted last year enrolled, whereas it's usually only half. I don't know if this will be favorable for you or not, but keep your fingers crossed cuz you never know. Good luck!

2 hours ago, miss-walker said:

Hi! I’m CP and I was interviewed by Georgetown and haven’t heard anything yet. I’m guessing a rejection or waitlist, but they did tell me during the interview that waitlisted candidates would be able to attend the open house. I’d like to plan ahead since I’ll be needing to take days off work for any visiting students weekend. Should I email the professors that interviewed me and ask for an update? I don’t want to sound disrespectful.

I’m in a similar situation. I was interviewed and have not heard back. Did they mention in your interview when the visit days will be held? If they are upcoming, I think you can respectfully email and inquire about your decision, since you’ll want to be able to attend if you’re either admitted or waitlisted. I thought in my interview they said visit days would be at the end of February, so I’m worried that I haven’t heard back

Just now, Polisci882 said:

I’m in a similar situation. I was interviewed and have not heard back. Did they mention in your interview when the visit days will be held? If they are upcoming, I think you can respectfully email and inquire about your decision, since you’ll want to be able to attend if you’re either admitted or waitlisted. I thought in my interview they said visit days would be at the end of February, so I’m worried that I haven’t heard back

I believe the visitations are coming up, so I am emailing. I am assuming rejection, but I am in driving distance from DC so I would like to know.