2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

Was just waitlisted at Harvard Gov (AP subfield)! If anyone can advise — is there a “waitlist” etiquette? Like should I email saying that I’m interested in the program, or relaying my other offers, or does that not matter? Thankfully, I do have other offers that I’m excited about. Thanks for the help!

Claiming UCLA acceptance (IR). It literally looks like they offered 0 funding but maybe that's to come. Direction in my acceptance letter to go fill out a FAFSA form is not exactly promising...

4 minutes ago, Camiki said:

Claiming UCLA acceptance (IR). It literally looks like they offered 0 funding but maybe that's to come. Direction in my acceptance letter to go fill out a FAFSA form is not exactly promising...

Congratulations! How did they notify you? I've heard historically that they don't have ideal funding packages especially with large cohorts entering every year.

19 minutes ago, m82a said:

Congratulations! How did they notify you? I've heard historically that they don't have ideal funding packages especially with large cohorts entering every year.

It was just an email that said a decision had been made and to check my portal. Yeah, I'm pretty sure they don't guarantee very much funding or offer particularly competitive amounts for the money they do give.

Edited by Camiki
removed part where I was being rude

13 hours ago, YaelDael said:

Hi! Does anyone have news from these programs?

- University of Texas at Austin, Comparative Politics (mine is still "In review")

-University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Comparative Politcs)

-Duke (Political Institutions)

-Colorado Boulder (Comparative Politics)

-University of Rochester (Comparative Politics).

Thanks!

UTAustin has denied me, but not in your subfield. I have heard they have few spots this year due to large acceptance last cycle. Good luck!

Has anyone heard from West Virginia University? Status is "Complete" and does not change! I have checked the results page and could not find a single one, not even from other cycles... also, Syracuse has not answered me yet. I saw some acceptances in the portal which made me wonder I did not get in... 

8 hours ago, Camiki said:

It was just an email that said a decision had been made and to check my portal. Yeah, I'm pretty sure they don't guarantee very much funding or offer particularly competitive amounts for the money they do give.

It seems that many public universities don’t offer as robust or competitive funding packages as some private universities do. 

5 minutes ago, Polisci882 said:

It seems that many public universities don’t offer as robust or competitive funding packages as some private universities do. 

well the lack of funding has been a known problem for years at UCLA, but they never set out to resolve it. they do have a large cohort each year, but this doesn't excuse them from their funding obligations to graduate students.

5 minutes ago, barthestow said:

well the lack of funding has been a known problem for years at UCLA, but they never set out to resolve it. they do have a large cohort each year, but this doesn't excuse them from their funding obligations to graduate students.

Yeah, it definitely has a reputation as an especially poor funder even for a public program. UCSD and Berkeley at least offer a guaranteed five years of funding which UCLA has historically not. Who knows though, maybe it's on par with the other top UCs this year. 

25 minutes ago, ThucydidesLatte said:

Claiming UCSB rejection.

0a/0w/9r/8p

Great fit. Research and teaching experience, a perfect 4.0 MA GPA. One paper published.
This admission season has been brutal. I'm really sad.💔

You're not alone. I'm about to get my final rejection. On the bright side, you still have eight pending.

I'm not deterred by the rejections. I know where I went wrong. I am confident I can fix it if I apply again in the future. And I'm finally making time to publish. So I'll be exploring my options in the next few months to decide how I want to approach things next fall.

Even if I'm disappointed with how it all panned out, I feel blessed in life and am happy to continue with my current job. Academia will be there when it's my time. Failure is temporary and breeds success. 🙂

1 hour ago, ThucydidesLatte said:

Claiming UCSB rejection.

0a/0w/9r/8p

Great fit. Research and teaching experience, a perfect 4.0 MA GPA. One paper published.
This admission season has been brutal. I'm really sad.💔

I'm wishing you lots of luck and good timing for your pending applications. I know several brilliant people with PhDs currently working in academia who got rejected by every school on their first round applying to programs. All of them had the same advice for if I wound up in the same boat- don't give up, learn from your mistakes and do an even better job of applications next year, funding/faculty availability is half of it so keep trying, yada yada. 

While it sucks to not get in to the program you really wanted (I just did this with my UCB rejection...not going to lie, I cried a lot) all you really need is one yes. All that to say, I hope something good is coming your way in the next few weeks! 

Has anyone heard from Pittsburgh? I feel like they've usually released something by now, but I haven't seen anything.

I'm also just waiting around for the rejection updates from Ohio State and Cornell that I know are coming. I wish they would send them already so we could just move forward with some kind of closure /: It's been another week of radio silence and an empty inbox

Edited by amp2324

I'm not sure if you all can relate, but I've had almost two weeks of no decisions (not counting Yale lol, long shot)! It's very uncharacteristic for some schools. But watch me say this and hear back from somewhere immediately after. 

Also, I called with a UPenn POI earlier this week. No mention of a timeline. I don't think they liked some of my answers but have to be genuine :D 

For a list of schools, I'm waiting on UW (kinda), UPenn, Hopkins, and Cornell. Theory sub. I know a lot of us theory are waiting to hear from Cornell. Tbh, I think most of the theory minds stay away from forums. I'm more of the pessimistic critical theory type.

Edited by politicalscience33
Listing schools

2 hours ago, amp2324 said:

Has anyone heard from Pittsburgh? I feel like they've usually released something by now, but I haven't seen anything.

I'm also just waiting around for the rejection updates from Ohio State and Cornell that I know are coming. I wish they would send them already so we could just move forward with some kind of closure /: It's been another week of radio silence and an empty inbox

I haven't heard back from Pitt either, but I hope to hear something soon. It sounds like Ohio State and Cornell have already sent out some offers.  

22 minutes ago, 2024_IR said:

claiming UCSD admit (off waitlist)

Congratulations! It's good to know that the waitlist is moving- if you don't mind answering, do you feel like you might take it?