2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

On 2/26/2024 at 2:39 PM, Ir2024 said:

I don't know if you realized but those are the stats for the music program, I'd assume there is wide variation across departments.

Yeah, I applied for musicology. That's why I had the stats filtered for the music department!

Has anyone else been ghosted by Texas Austin and Rochester? No rejection, no acceptance, no waiting-list. Should I assume rejection? Is it inappropriate to reach out?

1 hour ago, Squirrelgirl2 said:

Yeah, I applied for musicology. That's why I had the stats filtered for the music department!

This is a thread for political science admissions hence the confusion haha

37 minutes ago, YaelDael said:

Has anyone else been ghosted by Texas Austin and Rochester? No rejection, no acceptance, no waiting-list. Should I assume rejection? Is it inappropriate to reach out?

Ghosted by Rochester too. 

Edited by SMS777

1 minute ago, 2024_IR said:

Need some advice on this: when we decline an offer, should we send an email to the DGS in addition to declining on the portal? What about the professors that emailed / professors you met with during the open house? thanks!!

Yes, I would email the DGS and the professors who emailed you (and your POI, if it is not the same person). About the ones that you met, I don't think it is absolutely necessary unless you feel comfortable with it.

2 minutes ago, zfpolisci said:

Ghosted by Georgetown and NYU, so weird!!

It seems that sending a rejection is a very difficult task lol.

Georgetown historically sends rejections very very late. Sometimes late March or early April. 

11 minutes ago, amp2324 said:

Congratulations!! If you don't mind me asking- were you notified by email or was there an update in the GradCAS portal?

Thanks! Yes, it was an email. On Saturday I got an automatic email about activating my applicant portal through the UPitt's website (because the application was through the gradcas system). And today I got an offer via email from grad admissions office.

Question for those on this forum: is there any substantive difference between PhD programs titled “Government” vs those titled “Political Science”. For instance, Harvard, Cornell, and Georgetown all call their PhD programs government. My understanding is that this is merely a name thing. Anyone have any thoughts? 

4 hours ago, Polisci882 said:

Question for those on this forum: is there any substantive difference between PhD programs titled “Government” vs those titled “Political Science”. For instance, Harvard, Cornell, and Georgetown all call their PhD programs government. My understanding is that this is merely a name thing. Anyone have any thoughts? 

To my understanding, it is exactly the same. And, to be completely honest, it was a bit of a tedious thing to decipher this in order to decide whether to apply or not (I was rejected by all three, by the way, lmao).

On 2/28/2024 at 12:02 PM, ThucydidesLatte said:

Claiming CU Boulder waitlist. ☺️

With the utmost peace and love, I want to ask respectfully that if you were admitted (or even waitlisted) and you don't plan to attend CU Boulder, please inform your decision to decline to the Department as soon as possible since it was mentioned to me that getting off the waitlist is directly related to the people admitted. At this point, I'm almost begging. From the beginning, Colorado was one of my top choices, and considering that, on top of it, this cycle has been brutal, I would really appreciate your kind decision to decline. Please don't read this as a pressure of any kind, just as a considerate request.

Thank you in advance, and my DM's are open for anything you want to chat about it.

Dear everyone, I don't want to be that person (again), lol, but please, please, please, please, if you consider that you have a better option or if you already decided that you won't attend CU Boulder and have not notified the department, please do it. I'm frustrated that one of my top choices is the only school that did not reject me. Still, I also hate being in this position of begging after all this long and winding road of preparing to apply, applying, and getting rejection after rejection.

I wish you all the luck, and thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, OrlandHistorian said:

Thank you all for your insight and support during this application process. I've now heard back from all my applications and its time to weigh out my options. Checking out, best of luck to the rest of you I hope you receive favorable news in the near future. Best of luck everyone.

A5, R4, P0

may i ask if you have heard back from ut-austin regarding waitlist movement? i checked with my poi yesterday and was told to wait at least till end of march. thanks!

Any sense of where UCLA and UPenn stand? I haven't heard from either. Based on the multiple mentions, it seems like UCLA is settled and it'll just be waiting on a reject now. But for UPenn, there seems to be a pretty low number of acceptances and no rejections. Is there still a chance there?

Because there have been some questions related to them:

UPenn indeed hasn't send out rejections, but I am quite sure that they sent all acceptances and waitlists. Their program is really small, so not many people get accepted every year (far below 10 usually), so it makes sense that we only saw one acceptance here and two waitlists.

NYU also hasn't send out rejections, but that is in line with their usual procedure, since they reevaluate applications that weren't initially "successful" for their master program, which for whatever reason takes them so long every year. 

Edited by JPYSD