2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

Does anyone have any insight on how Georgetown's M.A. in Democracy and Governance is recieved in the professional world? Is it a respeced degree, or is it undermined by the fact that its not a degree from the School of Foreign Service? And more importantly for me, is it a suitable M.A. program for those wishing to go on to a Pol Sci PhD and become an academic? Or more geared for producing think tankers and state dept professionals?

Please has anyone gotten a feedback from University of Utah or University of Rochester? I have 5 rejections out of 7 schools I applied to. University of Rochester invited me for housing webinar, but no interview nor decision sent. I applied to Biology PhD in both university.

9 minutes ago, oluwatosin said:

Please has anyone gotten a feedback from University of Utah or University of Rochester? I have 5 rejections out of 7 schools I applied to. University of Rochester invited me for housing webinar, but no interview nor decision sent. I applied to Biology PhD in both university.

This is the thread for Political Science PhD applications.

On 2/28/2024 at 12:02 PM, ThucydidesLatte said:

Claiming CU Boulder waitlist. ☺️

With the utmost peace and love, I want to ask respectfully that if you were admitted (or even waitlisted) and you don't plan to attend CU Boulder, please inform your decision to decline to the Department as soon as possible since it was mentioned to me that getting off the waitlist is directly related to the people admitted. At this point, I'm almost begging. From the beginning, Colorado was one of my top choices, and considering that, on top of it, this cycle has been brutal, I would really appreciate your kind decision to decline. Please don't read this as a pressure of any kind, just as a considerate request.

Thank you in advance, and my DM's are open for anything you want to chat about it.

I wish you all a nice week and hope we all have good news in the next few days.

I'll put this here again, just as a reminder. Thanks. :) 

On 3/12/2024 at 4:55 PM, Gracchus said:

According to my knowledge as a student, internal applicants and external applicants are informed together, and the first bunch of offers has been made for both politics and IR. There are excellent candidates left in the pool waiting for final selections from the faculty side. Nuffield has made their invitation to offer holders before all other colleges (and private halls) but it may release extra slots if admitted students reject their place. Clarendon is always one of the last to issue its decisions but there are more funding opportunities in DPIR under active and automatic consideration for each non-Nuffield offer holder.

Thanks for the info! May I ask how Nuffield might release extra slots to your knowledge? I don't think colleges can set up any waitlist, but do you know any cases that someone does not get into/is rejected by Nuffield initially but is offered a place later? thx :)

Edited by illic

On 3/17/2024 at 9:11 PM, cowboy199797af said:

Does anyone have any insight on how Georgetown's M.A. in Democracy and Governance is recieved in the professional world? Is it a respeced degree, or is it undermined by the fact that its not a degree from the School of Foreign Service? And more importantly for me, is it a suitable M.A. program for those wishing to go on to a Pol Sci PhD and become an academic? Or more geared for producing think tankers and state dept professionals?

It's a cash cow for the department and people know it. Most MA programs are if I am being honest. Never pay to go to grad school unless it's a professional degree.

Only do an MA if it very clearly addresses an issue with your application, e.g. you are transitioning from a different field, or you are doing it for fun. In 99.99 percent of cases it's better to enter a PhD program directly.

Hey guys, does anyone have any info about Princeton? For example, how many people were admitted this year, how many are on the waitlist, etc. I am currently on the waitlist, and it's the last program I'm waiting to hear from. Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

I just got my last applicant decision (another rejection). All in all, two acceptances and five rejections. My choice between the two schools is pretty easy, since one is fully funded and one is not. I was waiting until all of the cards were on the table to make my decision, and now I think the path is pretty clear. 

This whole process has been nerve wracking! I have had to fight for my self esteem, since I can be a little sensitive to rejection. However, I think this process taught me a lot about myself- and probably a lot about a future working in academia, too. 

Now I have slightly less than five months to pack my stuff and move across the country for a new adventure. I wish all of you amazing luck and success in the rest of your application decisions, choices, and futures! 

On 2/28/2024 at 12:02 PM, ThucydidesLatte said:

Claiming CU Boulder waitlist. ☺️

With the utmost peace and love, I want to ask respectfully that if you were admitted (or even waitlisted) and you don't plan to attend CU Boulder, please inform your decision to decline to the Department as soon as possible since it was mentioned to me that getting off the waitlist is directly related to the people admitted. At this point, I'm almost begging. From the beginning, Colorado was one of my top choices, and considering that, on top of it, this cycle has been brutal, I would really appreciate your kind decision to decline. Please don't read this as a pressure of any kind, just as a considerate request.

Thank you in advance, and my DM's are open for anything you want to chat about it.

Dear everyone. I apologize for bringing this up again. But the deadline is approaching, and I've been on the waitlist for about a month. I would appreciate your prompt refusal if you have a better offer. Thank you once again🤗💚

On 3/18/2024 at 12:41 PM, cowboy199797af said:

Still haven't recieved a decision from Georgetown's PhD in Government. i emailed them a few days ago and got this response: "Thank you for your email. The government department is currently reviewing applications and you can expect to hear a decision in the coming weeks."

I've read that some have already recieved offers. If we haven't by now, should we take is as a sign of rejection? Or that we may be on a waitlist and have a chance pending admitted students declining their admission?

Still no outcome from Georgetown's PhD in Government. Anyone have any idea on whats going on? Should I consider myself rejected and just move on? ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

3 hours ago, Anonymous39 said:

Does anyone have any insights on which school is better for Theory?

I'm trying to decide between Boston College and IU Bloomington. Which is "better"?

I am not knowledgeable enough to give you a proper answer, but I guess every opinion helps in those decisions: I have heard from many more people that BC is seen as a niche program for certain areas of theory and know of a handful of people that were placed decently. Now, I don't know about funding and the specific campuses, but BC would for most people be in a much more desirable location. Not just Boston vs. Bloomington itself, but also the fact that as a theory student, you pretty much stay at your program for most of the 5 years (rarely fieldwork etc.) and the Boston area would give you the chance to be a proper part of the theory community with conferences and events at Harvard, MIT, BU, Northeastern, Brandeis etc. Connections seem so important in academia, and I believe this could be easier to achieve, so you could have a more diverse academic life at BC/living in Boston. But as always: funding and personal fit should be the most important factors!

(also: since you might have posted there - don't listen to PoliSci rumors - that page is just full of awful trolls that don't want anything good for you)

Edited by JPYSD

2 hours ago, Jackie_Lo said:

Have any Oxford Politics DPhil offer holders heard anything about funding yet? 

No 😞 Just that I have been rejected from Nuffield. But no college or funding news...

On 3/27/2024 at 10:07 PM, tired999 said:

Did MSU and CUNY send out their acceptances?

I was told that MSU acceptances were sent out. If your status is still showing as under review then you’re probably on the waitlist. What subfield are you?