2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

Claiming Oxford DPhil in Politics acceptance! 

Upload button disappeared in the portal about two hours ago. Supervisor/POI mentioned in the application was copied to the e-mail, funding information is pending.

Really happy, although I am not sure if I would end up going or prefer my US option...

2 hours ago, barthestow said:

re: WashU in St.Louis

Coordinator got back to me indicating that the committee has finished the review for this cycle and that all acceptances have been sent out; final decisions will come out later this month.

So does this mean that they are still waiting for people to accept or deny their places in the program? 

10 hours ago, ugh08 said:

So does this mean that they are still waiting for people to accept or deny their places in the program? 

i think so, as their visit day is supposedly in mid-march (could be wrong about this) -  in recent years they've accepted people off the waitlist in april; but if you haven't heard anything from them thus far, the chance of getting accepted at this point is slim to none.

I understand that Georgetown’s PhD Govt already sent out offers long time ago. I think they already settled with the number of PhD candidates. However, I don’t understand why they have been holding other applications without telling them that they are rejected. 

13 minutes ago, 555 said:

I understand that Georgetown’s PhD Govt already sent out offers long time ago. I think they already settled with the number of PhD candidates. However, I don’t understand why they have been holding other applications without telling them that they are rejected. 

so i did this thing - i provided my application number and then asked about my application status. still waiting for their response though, but i'm pretty sure it would confirm my rejection.  

Got admitted into Utah. I just received official email from graduate school but provision for funding was not mentioned in the body of the letter. Should I be expecting another mail from the Department on funding options?

36 minutes ago, Maverickz said:

Got admitted into Utah. I just received official email from graduate school but provision for funding was not mentioned in the body of the letter. Should I be expecting another mail from the Department on funding options?

If they only informed you that you were accepted, they will send you an official offer/contract later, and the funding should be there. But also you could ask.

9 minutes ago, ThucydidesLatte said:

If they only informed you that you were accepted, they will send you an official offer/contract later, and the funding should be there. But also you could ask.

Thank you. I will ask.

8 minutes ago, fljotavik said:

Anyone got a mail about housing from Rochester?

I have.

Though the email says "even though you have not received a decision regarding your application yet..."

This is so nerve-wracking.

On 3/5/2024 at 10:57 PM, rando_applicant said:

Any sense of where UCLA and UPenn stand? I haven't heard from either. Based on the multiple mentions, it seems like UCLA is settled and it'll just be waiting on a reject now. But for UPenn, there seems to be a pretty low number of acceptances and no rejections. Is there still a chance there?

not sure if still helpful but I received an email from the department on March 5th notifying I was waitlisted here which I declined immediately.  So maybe more news from Penn?

2 minutes ago, goodbears2024 said:

not sure if still helpful but I received an email from the department on March 5th notifying I was waitlisted here which I declined immediately.  So maybe more news from Penn?

Okay thanks for sharing, and for doing the god's work in declining. Also, congratulations on the acceptances!

On 3/5/2024 at 4:52 PM, JPYSD said:

Claiming Oxford DPhil in Politics acceptance! 

Upload button disappeared in the portal about two hours ago. Supervisor/POI mentioned in the application was copied to the e-mail, funding information is pending.

Really happy, although I am not sure if I would end up going or prefer my US option...

I also applied there and haven't heard back yet. What subfield are you?

9 minutes ago, cbsag123 said:

I also applied there and haven't heard back yet. What subfield are you?

I am in CP, however, even if you applied to the "Politics" DPhil and not to the "IR" DPhil, subfields don't really matter for the application. I know more people that have gotten results from the Politics DPhil. IR was rather quiet so far. They follow a list that they "work through" and send out acceptances on a rolling basis/in batches. March 5 was one of these days. I also know that some rejections were sent already, which really shows that you have nothing to worry about for now. 

It was confirmed, however, that all acceptances and rejections will be sent out until March 22nd.

Edited by JPYSD

On 3/7/2024 at 4:40 PM, goodbears2024 said:

i concur with this post - i emailed penn at the end of february after the first wave of results rolled out and was told that i was not selected for admission. this means, however, that penn might be sending out decisions on a rolling basis and that folks may have a chance of getting waitlisted or even accepted at this arguably very late moment. hoping everyone can receive their share of good news!