2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

On 3/7/2024 at 4:44 PM, rando_applicant said:

Okay thanks for sharing, and for doing the god's work in declining. Also, congratulations on the acceptances!

Following up on this, @goodbears2024 was absolutely right. It was not over! UPenn extended a waitlist slot to me. So I'll make the obligatory ask that anyone with better offers decline UPenn's 🙏 but also my best wishes to those still waiting!

Is there anyone who was offered admission to Rochester? Can you please share if there has been a visit day or a recruitment session? If yes, how many students were offered admission?

For JHU SAIS the website says notifications will be out by March 21- does anyone think we may hear back earlier (maybe even tomorrow?) I looked at former years and I am only seeing Masters students getting their results in early March. 

3 hours ago, ThucydidesLatte said:

Calming Pitt rejection.
They didn't even type my name in the letter, they wrote "dear applicant" 😭💀

Do you mind me asking who you received the email from? I haven't heard anything yet and I keep worrying that I'm missing something 

4 minutes ago, amp2324 said:

Do you mind me asking who you received the email from? I haven't heard anything yet and I keep worrying that I'm missing something 

from the Graduate Administrator

7 hours ago, rando_applicant said:

Anyone with any thoughts on the likelihood of getting in off the waitlist? Obviously that would vary year-to-year, program-by-program, but does it ever happen?

Well, I just got accepted to a school that waitlisted me, so it could definitely happen.

18 hours ago, rando_applicant said:

Anyone with any thoughts on the likelihood of getting in off the waitlist? Obviously that would vary year-to-year, program-by-program, but does it ever happen?

As you mentioned, it depends on multiple factors. Still, according to my own experience on a previous cycle, the two main factors are (1) the number of people who decline their offers on time and (2) how populated the waitlist is. In my experience, the timing of when offers are declined can significantly impact movement on the waitlist.

The first point was debated here in late January; however, a few years ago, a university waitlisted me, and I was in touch with one of the people admitted to my subfield. This person declined his offer on Wednesday, and then I was offered a place on Thursday. I want to underscore that this OBVIOUSLY is not the same procedure at every school; I'm just sharing my experience. It's important to keep in mind that waitlist movement can vary greatly depending on the institution and its specific policies. Additionally, factors such as program size and applicant pool can also play a significant role in how quickly spots open up for waitlisted candidates. 

On the second point, if the waitlist is short, you are likely to be admitted. However, if the waitlist is long and highly competitive, your chances of being admitted may be lower. It's always a good idea to stay in contact with the admissions office and express continued interest in the program. 

7 minutes ago, ThucydidesLatte said:

As you mentioned, it depends on multiple factors. Still, according to my own experience on a previous cycle, the two main factors are (1) the number of people who decline their offers on time and (2) how populated the waitlist is. In my experience, the timing of when offers are declined can significantly impact movement on the waitlist.

The first point was debated here in late January; however, a few years ago, a university waitlisted me, and I was in touch with one of the people admitted to my subfield. This person declined his offer on Wednesday, and then I was offered a place on Thursday. I want to underscore that this OBVIOUSLY is not the same procedure at every school; I'm just sharing my experience. It's important to keep in mind that waitlist movement can vary greatly depending on the institution and its specific policies. Additionally, factors such as program size and applicant pool can also play a significant role in how quickly spots open up for waitlisted candidates. 

On the second point, if the waitlist is short, you are likely to be admitted. However, if the waitlist is long and highly competitive, your chances of being admitted may be lower. It's always a good idea to stay in contact with the admissions office and express continued interest in the program. 

Thanks for your detailed response! It's great to have those insights and direct experience. So, along these lines, I would assume that those invited to a campus visit while on the waitlist theoretically have better chances than no invite -- all else equal -- as it's a signal the waitlist is likely shorter?

27 minutes ago, rando_applicant said:

Thanks for your detailed response! It's great to have those insights and direct experience. So, along these lines, I would assume that those invited to a campus visit while on the waitlist theoretically have better chances than no invite -- all else equal -- as it's a signal the waitlist is likely shorter?

I would guess so. For instance, they might have a ranked waitlist, and those people probably are in the top places on the aforementioned ranked list.

But, again, I'm just guessing.

On 3/6/2024 at 11:13 AM, Polisci882 said:

Rejected by Michigan state. No email yet, but I checked the portal, which had a rejection message

Sorry to hear that! Can I ask, what program and subfield?

Still haven't recieved a decision from Georgetown's PhD in Government. i emailed them a few days ago and got this response: "Thank you for your email. The government department is currently reviewing applications and you can expect to hear a decision in the coming weeks."

I've read that some have already recieved offers. If we haven't by now, should we take is as a sign of rejection? Or that we may be on a waitlist and have a chance pending admitted students declining their admission?