2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

1 minute ago, politicalscience33 said:

The Masters being redundant is very true—if the PhD stipend was not so low, I would take it. I still have places to hear back from, and I seriously hope one goes through. To address the other person who responded; I go to a non “little ivy” liberal arts school in the states. It’s great but not well-known. I believe a masters would increase my credentials next round regardless of difficulty. Most people getting into PhDs are much older than I am and have more experience, whether that be a masters or profession. I’m a mere undergrad with a published work in history (lol), a joint publication in CP (I’m not CP), and a couple of conferences. Plus I’d go into MAPSS with an outside fellowship! Hope this contextualizes some things :D

If MAPSS is paid off or very cheap and you go into it knowing you need to build your resume while there in order to use it as a stepping stone I don’t think it’s a bad idea. That being said from what I remember the deadline to give Chicago a decision was May 1, while PhD programs have an April 15 deadline. Why not wait longer before making a decision?

24 minutes ago, goodbears2024 said:

claiming Harvard GOV, call from a professor on the committee about 2 hrs ago, no email yet 

Congratulations!! Amazing accomplishment. Did your portal update yet, or just the call? 

2 hours ago, llmoula said:

Seems like IR acceptances have gone out for Harvard - congrats to those accepted! Any word from other subfields?

Claiming Harvard Govt acceptance for CP subfield. Call from a professor I mentioned in my SOP. No formal offer yet. 

8a/3wl/2r

Is anyone with an offer for any subfield from UNC able to share when the visitation days are? It will help me gauge my likelihood of getting an offer from them at this point vs. not. Thank you! 

Edited by Polisci882

3 hours ago, Polisci882 said:

Is anyone with an offer for any subfield from UNC able to share when the visitation days are? It will help me gauge my likelihood of getting an offer from them at this point vs. not. Thank you! 

Hello! UNC IR admitted applicant here! UNC will hold the visitation weekend on March 21-23. I hope this helps.

Edited by aroselin
fix typo

Hi all, for reasons that have to do with my partner's job, I have to make my decision much sooner than April 15. Right now I have narrowed my options to Cornell vs. Vanderbilt (I am IR). Does anyone have any thoughts on the strengths/weaknesses of those programs? Reputation in IR field?  Emphasis on quant vs qual? Feel free to DM me if so. Thanks!

27 minutes ago, Greg_app said:

Hi all, for reasons that have to do with my partner's job, I have to make my decision much sooner than April 15. Right now I have narrowed my options to Cornell vs. Vanderbilt (I am IR). Does anyone have any thoughts on the strengths/weaknesses of those programs? Reputation in IR field?  Emphasis on quant vs qual? Feel free to DM me if so. Thanks!

kindly reach out to the dgs at each school and ask if they can connect you with a professor/POI in your field. most likely they will be more than willing to help. it works out for me this way, and arguably is more direct and effective.

4 minutes ago, barthestow said:

kindly reach out to the dgs at each school and ask if they can connect you with a professor/POI in your field. most likely they will be more than willing to help. it works out for me this way, and arguably is more direct and effective.

Thank you! Yes, I have been speaking to Profs and grad students at each place, just trying to get as much info as possible. I think people outside of the institutions can sometimes give a good analysis of the general reputation in the field etc. But point taken!

3 minutes ago, Greg_app said:

Thank you! Yes, I have been speaking to Profs and grad students at each place, just trying to get as much info as possible. I think people outside of the institutions can sometimes give a good analysis of the general reputation in the field etc. But point taken!

you are in between two great choices! congrats and good luck to you in the future!

1 hour ago, Greg_app said:

For what it’s worth, I think Cornell is higher ranked for IR than Vanderbilt 

1 hour ago, Greg_app said:

Hey! at one of the open houses a prof recommended this ranking for IR (it is based on faculty review in IR). I think it is a good supplement to US news. I think the 2017 one has the full report. 

https://trip.wm.edu/research/faculty-surveys

Hi! Does anyone have news from these programs?

- University of Texas at Austin, Comparative Politics (mine is still "In review")

-University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Comparative Politcs)

-Duke (Political Institutions)

-Colorado Boulder (Comparative Politics)

-University of Rochester (Comparative Politics).

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, YaelDael said:

Hi! Does anyone have news from these programs?

- University of Texas at Austin, Comparative Politics (mine is still "In review")

-University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Comparative Politcs)

-Duke (Political Institutions)

-Colorado Boulder (Comparative Politics)

-University of Rochester (Comparative Politics).

Thanks!

Got a rejection portal update from UNC for CP today

Edited by miss-walker

On 2/21/2024 at 1:22 PM, Greg_app said:

Congratulations!! Amazing accomplishment. Did your portal update yet, or just the call? 

sorry forgot to check the forum yesterday - nothing has changed on my portal.  An email from the department chair today. 

Hearty congratulations too!!