2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

4 hours ago, SH95 said:

Claiming Purdue rejection. However, I do not see any rejection calls from results page. Has anyone got rejection or admission from Purdue? I got a notification by an email. 

So far, I only have SUNY buffalo.

I applied to Purdue, but haven't heard anything from them. 

Hi everyone, 

Not a prospective student anymore, but if anyone that is coming to UW-Madison for the visit days would like to ask any questions please feel free to message me. I’m happy to answer anything in advance. Also if some people want to know why I chose where I chose (feel free to check my profile to see), I’m happy to talk. I won’t be much help outside IR though. 

Does anyone know when it's safe to assume that you've just been rejected?

There are a few places (UT Austin, Princeton) who've already released results, but for which my portal still says "Pending" or "In Review". 

Is it even worth reaching out, or is better to wait for the actual rejection update?

Hi, my research interests are political communication and computational social science. Just heard that NYU sent out 35 offers this year. I am so sad! Because I thought I was a strong fit for NYU CSMaP. However I have to admit I do not have academic degrees in political science. I am really depressed after knowing that NYU sent so many offers! 35? I think it's crazy. 

27 minutes ago, Palmier said:

Hi, my research interests are political communication and computational social science. Just heard that NYU sent out 35 offers this year. I am so sad! Because I thought I was a strong fit for NYU CSMaP. However I have to admit I do not have academic degrees in political science. I am really depressed after knowing that NYU sent so many offers! 35? I think it's crazy. 

Keep your chin up. They likely had a ton of applicants. 

1 minute ago, Heffalump97 said:

Keep your chin up. They likely had a ton of applicants. 

Thank you. I think my attempt to transfer from a student in journalism and communication to a PhD student in political science has failed😂 Application for political science is so competitive and hard!

31 minutes ago, Palmier said:

I could be very wrong, but I heard from my friends at NYU that it offers a one-year predoc for strong applicants they cant take in as full-time PhDs. If you are really interested in the faculty at NYU and their work, I encourage you to reach out to them and ask for more information. good luck :) It is a really strong program and prepares you well for a political science PhD.

8 minutes ago, goodbears2024 said:

I could be very wrong, but I heard from my friends at NYU that it offers a one-year predoc for strong applicants they cant take in as full-time PhDs. If you are really interested in the faculty at NYU and their work, I encourage you to reach out to them and ask for more information. good luck :) It is a really strong program and prepares you well for a political science PhD.

Thank you so much! I also heard about this information. I will wait for the email from NYU to see if they can offer a predoc position to me. 

50 minutes ago, Palmier said:

where did you get the info that they sent out 35 acceptances?

2 hours ago, Prospero said:

Does anyone know when it's safe to assume that you've just been rejected?

There are a few places (UT Austin, Princeton) who've already released results, but for which my portal still says "Pending" or "In Review". 

Is it even worth reaching out, or is better to wait for the actual rejection update?

I'd give Princeton until the end of the week. They generally send rejections out within three or four days of acceptances based on past years. I didn't get an acceptance, so I'm assuming a rejection from them until told otherwise.

11 hours ago, coffeeman123 said:

Hi everyone, 

Not a prospective student anymore, but if anyone that is coming to UW-Madison for the visit days would like to ask any questions please feel free to message me. I’m happy to answer anything in advance. Also if some people want to know why I chose where I chose (feel free to check my profile to see), I’m happy to talk. I won’t be much help outside IR though. 

Just wondering--has Madison released all their decisions? Have applied for CP track, have not heard back. Many thanks!

20 minutes ago, cbsag123 said:

How old is everyone when they start the phd in the fall? And how old is too old? Asking for a friend

Coming in straight from undergrad so I’ll be starting at 22!

50 minutes ago, Samzz said:

Just wondering--has Madison released all their decisions? Have applied for CP track, have not heard back. Many thanks!

I received an acceptance in CP at the end of January. Not sure if they’ve released any more results since, but I don’t believe so. 

32 minutes ago, miss-walker said:

I received an acceptance in CP at the end of January. Not sure if they’ve released any more results since, but I don’t believe so. 

Based on previous years I think they've released all the initial acceptances as they've always come in one block post interviews. They've usually released their rejections by now though so don't know what's happening with that, maybe they've decided to do a waitlist this year? 

ETA: quoted wrong post, sorry!

Edited by fizzan