2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

3 hours ago, mr. specific said:

Got an interview request from University of Miami along with my anticipated rejections from both UT-Austin programs.  In other news, it appears I never sent in the Vanderbilt application fee, so that would explain the lack of response there. Going to be dropping out of Indiana's waitlist today (which I hear is long, but hopefully that helps someone.

Currently at: 3a/ 1w / 1 interviews/ 5 r/ 6p

Trying to decide between Michigan, NYU, and Syracuse. Maybe Miami (if they let me in. For the weather, mostly).

Are you able to visit and sit in on classes / get a feel for what it would be like to attend?

22 hours ago, cowboifairy said:

I would recommend not contacting personally. I know the professors fairly well, and I get the vibe that they prefer to be 'left alone' somewhat for the decisions process. That said, they're all incredibly kind, so I don't think it would be a point against you by any means. However, I think waiting until mid-March since they stress mid-March might be wiser. Also, I am happy to answer Brown question people have since I know it's a bit mysterious over there! 

Thanks for this!

Is there any other info you could share about Brown? I know it's known for being a program that focuses more on experimental writing and mixed media/arts. This confuses me slightly because I also know writers like Ottessa Moshfegh went there whose writing (to me) doesn't quite seem experimental (but maybe it used to be before she got popular) but more so literary fictionesque. Anyway don't really know what I'm asking but if you know anything more about what they're looking for or if you have stories of bad or good experiences with the program would love to hear them! 

(Also because I'm wondering if it's a school I should reapply to next year should I fail this cycle.) 

Does anyone know *how* programs contact admits, like in what order? I'm assuming they start with who they MOST want then go to you know...who they least most want...or is it in alphabetical order? Just curious if anyone knows. 

9 minutes ago, dasiena said:

Does anyone know *how* programs contact admits, like in what order? I'm assuming they start with who they MOST want then go to you know...who they least most want...or is it in alphabetical order? Just curious if anyone knows. 

I wouldn't worry about this, because it probably varies and is unintentional. Maybe they printed out applications, made their decisions, and go back to their email and contact their admits in whatever order the apps were in. Maybe they do it from a ranked list. Maybe alphabetical. If you are admitted somewhere, then it doesn't effectively matter if you were contacted first or last, they wanted you in their program regardless.

Also not to triple text in the g chat (sry) but how normal is it have literary agents going into an MFA? I've looked up current students at IWW as well as recent Iowa admits to see that a few already have literary agents, one being signed with the same agent as Sheila Heti (holy shit). I'm wondering why someone would want to get an MFA if they already have an agent. I guess it would just be a sort of long paid fellowship to work on the book they are already set to publish? Seems cool & wish it could apply to me. Also is a little discouraging. 

9 minutes ago, dasiena said:

Also not to triple text in the g chat (sry) but how normal is it have literary agents going into an MFA? I've looked up current students at IWW as well as recent Iowa admits to see that a few already have literary agents, one being signed with the same agent as Sheila Heti (holy shit). I'm wondering why someone would want to get an MFA if they already have an agent. I guess it would just be a sort of long paid fellowship to work on the book they are already set to publish? Seems cool & wish it could apply to me. Also is a little discouraging. 

I would say this is very rare (and probably even rarer in poetry)! I don't know anyone with an agent even after they've completed their degree lol. You also don't need an agent to get a book published. Maybe at like... the big ones... but you can still find lots of success without one!

People might go for the MFA because it is the terminal degree in our field, meaning that you can teach with it at the college level. (I'm wary of the CW PhD in theory, but that's another story.) I could see that, if someone already has some initial success with their writing, they'd want to go for the degree in order to land teaching gigs later. Maybe they want paid time to write and a community to bounce ideas. Who knows? Same reasons as all of us, probably.

7 minutes ago, dasiena said:

Having an agent isn't the be all and end all, so I think there'd still be plenty of motivation for someone to pursue an MFA. Most people who write still have to keep other jobs regardless of representation, so having funded time to write and improve is important, as is gaining a degree that could open the door to teaching, which is what a lot of writers end up doing to keep the lights on.

Don't be discouraged, though, it really shouldn't be a factor in your admission. Not only is it rare for someone to apply while already having an agent, but what an agent looks for isn't necessarily what an admissions committee is looking for. Plenty of people get in without having any sort of publication or representation.

15 minutes ago, dasiena said:

Thanks for this!

Is there any other info you could share about Brown? I know it's known for being a program that focuses more on experimental writing and mixed media/arts. This confuses me slightly because I also know writers like Ottessa Moshfegh went there whose writing (to me) doesn't quite seem experimental (but maybe it used to be before she got popular) but more so literary fictionesque. Anyway don't really know what I'm asking but if you know anything more about what they're looking for or if you have stories of bad or good experiences with the program would love to hear them! 

(Also because I'm wondering if it's a school I should reapply to next year should I fail this cycle.) 

Yeah happily! I did my undergraduate degree at Brown, so this information might not be fully accurate but is what I noticed from being in some of the same classes/spaces and working with the faculty. I really love this program, and I would love as many people to get the chance to hear more about it as possible!

I think the reason they get that reputation is because their program focuses a lot less on professional skills and more on inviting experimentation that refines craft. For example, one workshop is called "Foreign Home" and forces you to choose two things you have never done before, learn everything you can about them, and then bring them back into your 'home' craft/genre. For someone who has a clear vision of what they want to use an MFA to accomplish, the program might not fit as it tries to keep agents out and doesn't offer the pre-professional courses that can assist those clear goals. Workshops might also get a bit 'lofty' for those who want to stick a bit closer to the text itself.

However, if you're looking to experiment and write without the focus being on the outcome, I think Brown is a great option. And, in cases like Moshfegh or Lerner, I don't think the program looks for people who are 'experimental' as much as it looks for people who are deeply dedicated to their style, no matter what that style is (so even a more literary fiction person can benefit from Brown!). 

All that said, I think they have some of the most supportive faculty and knowledgeable workshop communities around. I hope this rant is helpful, and feel free to ask anything else I can help with!

45 minutes ago, dasiena said:

I've spoken with several Iowa alumni, and the general consensus I've received is that many people don't go into an MFA having a literary agent — they are found through their previously published work, such as in a literary journal, and an agent who sees potential will reach out to them from there. It often happens to be luck (and a combination of Iowa's reputation for people who attend) that finding an agent happens while a student is still undergoing their MFA. I did hear a story about an Iowa student who received a million-dollar book deal while still in the MFA program there. But that was stressed to me as largely atypical and not really representative of the average MFA experience. 

8 minutes ago, mr. specific said:

Yeah, definitely. They all make it very easy to visit, bc they really want you to come. Michigan even flies everyone out and puts them up for 3 days. 

Report back how these visits go!

55 minutes ago, cowboifairy said:

Yeah happily! I did my undergraduate degree at Brown, so this information might not be fully accurate but is what I noticed from being in some of the same classes/spaces and working with the faculty. I really love this program, and I would love as many people to get the chance to hear more about it as possible!

I think the reason they get that reputation is because their program focuses a lot less on professional skills and more on inviting experimentation that refines craft. For example, one workshop is called "Foreign Home" and forces you to choose two things you have never done before, learn everything you can about them, and then bring them back into your 'home' craft/genre. For someone who has a clear vision of what they want to use an MFA to accomplish, the program might not fit as it tries to keep agents out and doesn't offer the pre-professional courses that can assist those clear goals. Workshops might also get a bit 'lofty' for those who want to stick a bit closer to the text itself.

However, if you're looking to experiment and write without the focus being on the outcome, I think Brown is a great option. And, in cases like Moshfegh or Lerner, I don't think the program looks for people who are 'experimental' as much as it looks for people who are deeply dedicated to their style, no matter what that style is (so even a more literary fiction person can benefit from Brown!). 

All that said, I think they have some of the most supportive faculty and knowledgeable workshop communities around. I hope this rant is helpful, and feel free to ask anything else I can help with!

thank you!! Super helpful!!!!

I posted about this a few days ago, but was just wondering if anyone else applied to Wichita st and/or knows more about the program? I love that it's workshop focused, three years, and has a final year w one on one mentorship from faculty and a visiting artist for thesis project. 

I was accepted this past Monday, trying to research as much as possible but am not finding a ton of info online about it. 

anyone also have Wichita st on their radar? Or knows more about the program?

14 hours ago, AngusWanderer said:

I guess if anyone declines their fellowship then the pot might be sweetened. I'm just looking into the cost of living in NY and it's a little bit daunting. Chex you can pm me if you want to know more about the details of the funding and moving to NY as an International student. I landed in New York when I was 18, having never been to the States. I only stayed there for a few months, but it was one of my most memorable experiences. 

I'm praying for you and I hope you get a better deal real soon. 

Thank you so much! I'll pm you when things get clearer in the coming weeks. :)

7 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Crying in front of two hundred construction workers and I can’t tell them why because they wouldn’t understand. But you people will. 
Irvine!

Irvine accepted you? HELL YEAH!

Hi everyone! Thought I would drop in and share this for the folks waiting on word from Arizona. I reached out to them recently and asked if they had a rough timeframe for when in March to expect decisions (mentioning that I had some things up in the air and was trying to plan around them accordingly). This was their response:

Thank you for your message. Admission decisions remains in process and typically continues through the end of May, and occasionally through June. All decision notices will be sent to the email address listed on your application file. We understand that this spans the course of several months and we appreciate your patience as we move forward with the admissions process.

I suspect that they will be taking a while this year, and this was also a helpful reminder that not all programs are going to be shooting off all their decisions before March 1—if anything I think I've gotten a little spoiled by these super early notifications, lol. 

EDIT: Another update—I shared this in Draft but not here, but I also called NCSU earlier this week to ask if they could clarify the change in application status from "Awaiting Decision" to "Department Review." They said this just means the application is with the admissions committee. I alluded to the fact that acceptances and waitlists had gone out and said I was assuming I didn't make it to the final round. Direct quote: "Unless you receive a definite 'no,' you still have a chance." 

Deep breaths!

Edited by branch

1 minute ago, branch said:

Hi everyone! Thought I would drop in and share this for the folks waiting on word from Arizona. I reached out to them recently and asked if they had a rough timeframe for when in March to expect decisions (mentioning that I had some things up in the air and was trying to plan around them accordingly). This was their response:

Thank you for your message. Admission decisions remains in process and typically continues through the end of May, and occasionally through June. All decision notices will be sent to the email address listed on your application file. We understand that this spans the course of several months and we appreciate your patience as we move forward with the admissions process.

I suspect that they will be taking a while this year, and this was also a helpful reminder that not all programs are going to be shooting off all their decisions before March 1—if anything I think I've gotten a little spoiled by these super early notifications, lol. 

Deep breaths!

Thanks for doing that! It seems like they also probably have no idea when they can make offers... Welp, I'm very happy with my 1a and would probably take it over Arizona anyways :P

6 minutes ago, branch said:

EDIT: Another update—I shared this in Draft but not here, but I also called NCSU earlier this week to ask if they could clarify the change in application status from "Awaiting Decision" to "Department Review." They said this just means the application is with the admissions committee. I alluded to the fact that acceptances and waitlists had gone out and said I was assuming I didn't make it to the final round. Direct quote: "Unless you receive a definite 'no,' you still have a chance." 

Deep breaths!

Oh god I can't keep doing this through June 😭

32 minutes ago, ajcam said:

OMGGGGGGG! I am crying right now. Claire Watkins from UCI just called me. I'm in for Fiction!  Still shaking. There are 5 in the fiction cohort this year. 

Maybe I’ll see you there. I couldn’t chat. Did she say how many applications?

15 minutes ago, branch said:

Deep breaths!

You’re a hero. 

U of Minnesota rejection came in today.

It's the only one I applied to for financial reasons. Definitely knew I wasn't getting in so I'm pretty well adjusted to it, but it comes on the heels of a job rejection I thought i was a shoe-in for. Could have worked at a local university, with students, as an academic advisor til inevitably applying next cycle, but instead, stuck in retail. Having so much in front of me two days ago to now having literally nothing is a tough pill to swallow. Congrats to all who got in, and to all who haven't/didn't, hang in there just one more year. They literally can't admit all the qualified applicants, so it's a numbers game at a certain point. Keep rolling the dice. 

1 hour ago, Scribe said:

Crying in front of two hundred construction workers and I can’t tell them why because they wouldn’t understand. But you people will. 
Irvine!

53 minutes ago, ajcam said:

OMGGGGGGG! I am crying right now. Claire Watkins from UCI just called me. I'm in for Fiction!  Still shaking. There are 5 in the fiction cohort this year. 

WOOOOO congratulations!!!!!