2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

49 minutes ago, Tuxedocat said:

Wait I’m so confused 😳 I thought people were getting an automated email via some portal update saying their apps were still under consideration. If the email came from Elizabeth Willis herself, why wouldn’t it be personalized and/or explicitly say one was waitlisted?

My only other guess is that there's a problem with my application... but I think like three of us on this forum got the email. It's personal as far as my name and Elizabeth writing on "behalf of the poetry faculty."

29 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

I DOn'T KNoWWWWWWWW

We have to take this as a waitlist though, right? With rejections coming in today? And if it were a downright acceptance, we would've of course gotten the call?

To the person who posted on the acceptances page asking about Arizona-- I'm waiting for fiction from there too, I haven't heard anything in the way of acceptances, waitlists, or rejections, so I definitely wouldn't assume soft rejection yet. I think word on here has been that we can expect Arizona decisions this week. But I'm just repeating thirdhand information, lol. 

6 minutes ago, airlinefood_enjoyer said:

SO REAL.... what are your recs? I've just been listening to Linda Ronstadt (since she's from Tucson)

This is so dumb but when I was deciding where to apply I had to choose between ASU and U of A and the fact that Linda is from Tucson tipped the scale for me lol I love her so much. And if you want some good old fashioned cowboy in the desert music, Marty Robbins is the best and is also from AZ!

5 minutes ago, pananoprodigy said:

This is so dumb but when I was deciding where to apply I had to choose between ASU and U of A and the fact that Linda is from Tucson tipped the scale for me lol I love her so much. And if you want some good old fashioned cowboy in the desert music, Marty Robbins is the best and is also from AZ!

haha thanks-- I do like cowboy in the desert music.

and honestly, not dumb imo. I have some family history in Tucson and the location/history/culture of the city was a huge draw for me as well. It's the furthest school from me geographically that I applied to (by quite a bit actually)

Hello everyone, I've been a lurker for the last few weeks (only recently realized this space existed!) 

I wanted to see if anyone had any insights on the waitlist process regarding Syracuse? I'm feeling real lucky to be on the waitlist, but trying not to be too hopeful (what's meant for me will find me). 

I recently received an offer from the University of Miami (fully funded yay!) which I haven't heard many people on this forum talk about, if anyone has any insights on this, I'd love to hear it! 

Current status is: 

(1a/2w/8r/4p) 

Hoping to get at least one more acceptance, at least for the illusion of choice haha. 

Love to see such a supportive community! 

Edited by flowermariela

4 hours ago, Hjanep said:

Got my Iowa rejection (fiction). Including that my manuscript was well-received by readers and encouragement to apply again. Real talk: is this in every rejection letter?

it was the same as mine. 

also, NOW University of Arizona rejections are out. 

Edited by Scribe

4 minutes ago, Scribe said:
4 hours ago, Hjanep said:

Got my Iowa rejection (fiction). Including that my manuscript was well-received by readers and encouragement to apply again. Real talk: is this in every rejection letter?

it was the same as mine. 

also, NOW University of Arizona rejections are out. 

Whoops, I guess I interpreted that as a handwritten note. 😓

10 minutes ago, ssuunn said:

Whoops, I guess I interpreted that as a handwritten note. 😓

There seem to be others. I get they are trying to be kind, but until i see someone rejected with the words, "please learn a trade" I'm going to assume fraud. 

Hi everyone! I finally decided to make an appearance after lurking since page one. Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted/waitlisted and to everyone who applied in general because man. Applying to MFAs feels like it could be a military torture method.

I'm currently waitlisted at both Maryland and Minnesota for Fiction, and I feel very appreciative because this is my first cycle, and I was kinda scared that I was going to write the email of shame to my recommenders. I'm lowkey already preparing my list for next year just in case, but we'll see. I was been beating myself up over one of my writing samples but what is done is done. I like both programs equally, and they both have their pros/cons for me, so I guess I'll just leave it up to fate (their admissions committees). Actually, I will say, Minnesota was #2 on my list, so it was exciting to hear from them. I think I applied to less schools than most people do but there were certain schools where I said "I'd rather be dead in California than alive in _____." And I only applied to programs I'd be very happy to attend. 

Funnily enough (but not that funny because I have $7 left), Minnesota and Maryland were 2/3 schools I couldn't use fee waivers for, and I told my friends that I better get good news from them because they took my money knowing I was broke. I think I manifested it on accident. 

Also, if anyone is in or waitlisted at UC Riverside, feel free to ask me any questions. I did my undergrad there for creative writing, and I had an absolute blast. I love UCR, but I didn't apply for my MFA there because I wanted to get out of my comfort zone. The professors know me and my writing extremely well already. The fiction faculty is amazing, and I could talk about them all day. I'd say MFA students there are treated well by students as well because I adored my TAs, and I only ever heard other students say kind things about them. It's an extremely diverse school and Riverside isn't as bad as a place as they make it out to be (as long as you don't have a catalytic converter). 

1 hour ago, prufrock_ said:

I recently moved away from Tempe because i couldn't handle the heat. I hope y'all that got into AZ are prepared!!!

but it's a dry heat.