2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

5 hours ago, bluebikeyikes said:

Same, fingers crossed for us! Manifesting that you will get another yes soon. I'm really hoping for a fully funded acceptance. I'm international; to be honest, the only non-fully funded programs I applied are in Canada since I am interested in relocating there...the US doesn't feel safe political-wise, especially where I live. What about you?

Same for you, I hope it works out for both of us! That makes sense - I applied to a few American programs but moving there is weighted with a whole lot a scary things. I'm originally from New Zealand but immigrated to Canada about 5 years ago. So if you do end up deciding on UBC, feel free to ask any moving to Canada questions!

Ugh I’m having a bit of a day where I’m just really struggling with my job and feeling trapped and supposedly someone just got an NYU call and it’s all kind of compounding on itself. I know a lot of you are in the same defeat spiral even though we are waiting on the majority of our programs but. Ugh. Would love a call. 

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on here for a bit, but this is my first post. Congrats to everyone who's been getting those sweet sweet acceptance calls/emails and good luck to all those still waiting!

I just got an email from Notre Dame to set up an interview. The director of the program said they had a shortlist of ten from over 200 applicants. This is great news and I'm obviously stoked! Also a big confidence booster after my valentines present (rejection email) from JHU, lol. 

I know Notre Dame is one of the few programs that does interviews-- have any of you ever been in an MFA interview and do you have any idea what sort of questions/vibes I can expect?

I'm a first time fiction applicant, so far I've got 0a/2w/1i/2r/8p

14 minutes ago, Hjanep said:

Ugh I’m having a bit of a day where I’m just really struggling with my job and feeling trapped and supposedly someone just got an NYU call and it’s all kind of compounding on itself. I know a lot of you are in the same defeat spiral even though we are waiting on the majority of our programs but. Ugh. Would love a call. 

Totally feel this! Like I know there's no reason to feel defeated yet (or ever), especially since I do have a very promising waitlist from OSU, but that feels like so long ago. Hard not to feel insecure that's it's the only good news I'll get the whole season. Anxiously awaiting an official acceptance ASAP

Also, are we sure the NYU acceptance is legit? I saw that in Draft too but this seems wayyy too early for NYU. A bit skeptical tbh

6 minutes ago, Jersh said:

Totally feel this! Like I know there's no reason to feel defeated yet (or ever), especially since I do have a very promising waitlist from OSU, but that feels like so long ago. Hard not to feel insecure that's it's the only good news I'll get the whole season. Anxiously awaiting an official acceptance ASAP

Also, are we sure the NYU acceptance is legit? I saw that in Draft too but this seems wayyy too early for NYU. A bit skeptical tbh

Wondering the same thing. My soul leaped out of my body when I saw the NYU result in the spreadsheet, but now, I'm not so convinced. It's such a large program that, if one person heard back, shouldn't there be some others too? 

12 minutes ago, fathersuckle420 said:

Wondering the same thing. My soul leaped out of my body when I saw the NYU result in the spreadsheet, but now, I'm not so convinced. It's such a large program that, if one person heard back, shouldn't there be some others too? 

Yeah I'm not convinced that it's legitimate - it feels too early for them to reach out and given how many of us applied there, we would have seen more than one response. I just don't understand the trolling.

6 minutes ago, Figfigfig said:

(sorry, I have had some trouble posting so I'm unsure if this is a double post!) 

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum, and new to the MFA world in general. I've been struggling with something and just wanted to share in the hopes that anyone would be willing to take the time to share your thoughts. 

I'm a first time fiction applicant and cast my net wide and applied to about 15 programs, all fully funded. I am fortunate enough to have received an acceptance to a fully funded program, where I was given a fellowship (I'd prefer not to share the specific program right now but I do believe all the results are out). I am thrilled and so grateful to have the opportunity, and hope I don't come off as anything but. 

That all being said, I've been hit hard with 5 rejections. I prepared myself for this, but it still hurts. I am trying to come to terms with the very possible reality that I will not get any more acceptances. When it comes down to it, the school where I have been accepted is not one that I was really hoping for. What I mean by this is that, between the time I finished my apps and now, I have learned a lot about different MFA programs and my own expectations for grad school. I understand I shouldn't have applied to schools I wasn't entirely enthusiastic about but I was new to the process and didn't realize that I might not actually be happy with just any acceptance. 

So say my options are to either decline and reapply next cycle with a stronger app and clearer goals (which could lead me to no acceptances), or accept and try to make peace (or love it! I haven't written that outcome off). However, I am concerned I'll always be stuck thinking about what-could-have-been. Is it considered bad form to re-apply to a few programs, if currently enrolled in a program? I would never want to inconvenience or be rude to a program that has been so kind thus far, but I have no experience with the etiquette behind all of this.

I understand I am getting ahead of myself here, but it's taking up a lot of space in my brain and I don't have any sort of community to talk it over with.

I hope everyone is having a good start to their weekend :)

Hi! I don’t mean to come across as rude, especially since I’ve gotten two waitlists myself and am struggling with disappointment while knowing that others are riding on multiple rejections, but taking a spot this year and continuing to shop around for another program while already in a program is taking a spot away from someone who really wants to go there. Basically, you’re both preventing someone from getting into the program you’ve already been accepted to AND the program you eventually choose if you try again next cycle despite accepting an offer this time. I’d wait to see the rest of your results before making any final decisions, but I’d say there’s no wrong choice here except that one. There’s also the possibility that your funding for this coming year will be in jeopardy if you don’t plan to finish out the program. Imo, it’s definitely bad etiquette.

Just now, 3feetofsnow said:

Hi! I don’t mean to come across as rude, especially since I’ve gotten two waitlists myself and am struggling with disappointment while knowing that others are riding on multiple rejections, but taking a spot this year and continuing to shop around for another program while already in a program is taking a spot away from someone who really wants to go there. Basically, you’re both preventing someone from getting into the program you’ve already been accepted to AND the program you eventually choose if you try again next cycle despite accepting an offer this time. I’d wait to see the rest of your results before making any final decisions, but I’d say there’s no wrong choice here except that one. There’s also the possibility that your funding for this coming year will be in jeopardy if you don’t plan to finish out the program. Imo, it’s definitely bad etiquette.

Hi! No, you don't come across as rude. I really do think I needed to hear this, and I appreciate your feedback. 

I am applying to programs to try to be a little happier with things in my life, and am just nervous about the reality of accepting a program my heart isn't in, especially when I can't get my job back after I leave it.

16 minutes ago, 3feetofsnow said:

Still only two mfa results listed on the sheet for USC, so I’m holding out hope! Maybe they’re still deliberating on the rest of the short list…

I’m in the same boat for Ole Miss. I believe only 2 fiction in the spreadsheet made round 2. 

4 minutes ago, Figfigfig said:

Hi! No, you don't come across as rude. I really do think I needed to hear this, and I appreciate your feedback. 

I am applying to programs to try to be a little happier with things in my life, and am just nervous about the reality of accepting a program my heart isn't in, especially when I can't get my job back after I leave it.

I definitely get that! I left my teaching job this past year to give myself time to put my portfolio together and have instead been subbing, so if I don’t end up getting in anywhere it’s definitely going to be tricky for me financially! But I’m trying to stay positive and hold out hope!

55 minutes ago, airlinefood_enjoyer said:

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on here for a bit, but this is my first post. Congrats to everyone who's been getting those sweet sweet acceptance calls/emails and good luck to all those still waiting!

I just got an email from Notre Dame to set up an interview. The director of the program said they had a shortlist of ten from over 200 applicants. This is great news and I'm obviously stoked! Also a big confidence booster after my valentines present (rejection email) from JHU, lol. 

I know Notre Dame is one of the few programs that does interviews-- have any of you ever been in an MFA interview and do you have any idea what sort of questions/vibes I can expect?

Ahhh I’m a non fiction applicant. I applied to Notre Dame too but didn’t get an email :(. So stressful. 

I am so happy for you though and wishing you so much luck with your interview! 

The other thing that makes me feel very suspicious about the NYU acceptance is that people would have talked about acceptances here or in the Draft forum too. If you were the first one called, I'd expect it's because you won a nice funding package as well, and you'd want to talk about it. 

I guess we'll see next week since last year, they let people know around the 23rd, which was a Thursday. 

7 minutes ago, justasmidge said:

The other thing that makes me feel very suspicious about the NYU acceptance is that people would have talked about acceptances here or in the Draft forum too. If you were the first one called, I'd expect it's because you won a nice funding package as well, and you'd want to talk about it. 

I guess we'll see next week since last year, they let people know around the 23rd, which was a Thursday. 

I'm always skeptical when there's a result posted only in the Results board here, and not mentioned anywhere else (this forum, Draft, the draft spreadsheet). If someone is going out of their way to post there, I'd imagine they are involved in these other communities as well and would want to share the update more directly! Always a little skeptical until there appears to be more movement/updates. Taking it all with a fat pinch of salt

edit re: NYU -- I did just see that this is in fact in the draft spreadsheet, oops! (I was thinking selfishly about the single UMich update on the results board since I'm waiting to hear back from them) I still agree with your point!

Edited by girlgenius

7 minutes ago, justasmidge said:

that and when were the interviews??

16 minutes ago, catacatacat said:

that and when were the interviews??

NYU doesn't do interviews as far as I can tell, but the acceptance on Draft is definitely sketchy. NYU historically sends out news sometime mid-Feb to mid-March, and has been trending later and into April in recent years, so this feels a bit early and too isolated. We'll see soon if any other news comes in to legitimize it.

1 hour ago, airlinefood_enjoyer said:

Incredible! That was the only school I applied to, so my MFA dreams come to an end today! South Bend is a magical place, if you get in would definitely say go there! It is nice to have closure so I can stop checking this forum every hour! Good luck to everyone else in your processes! I will see you all next year!

Re: NYU

For a while, I believe they held the record for earliest notification, although I believe if it wasn't already broken, it's been broken this year. The acceptee has written about the experience and yes, they did get the "big bonus" funding package. 

I do think they've done interviews in the past, but it is a large program so it may not be boilerplate policy.  

In any event, it does NOT seem NYU always sends out all notifications at once. why, i have no idea.

50 minutes ago, Writerishlife said:

Ahhh I’m a non fiction applicant. I applied to Notre Dame too but didn’t get an email :(. So stressful. 

I am so happy for you though and wishing you so much luck with your interview! 

4 minutes ago, TheGreatLoudini said:

Incredible! That was the only school I applied to, so my MFA dreams come to an end today! South Bend is a magical place, if you get in would definitely say go there! It is nice to have closure so I can stop checking this forum every hour! Good luck to everyone else in your processes! I will see you all next year!

Thank you both! Though I know this isn't much of a condolence, I'm not sure if the email I got is indicative of anything related to non-fiction or poetry. I don't think I've seen anyone else post about Notre Dame yet.

I'm sorry if I was the bearer of bad news, Loudini. All those Minnesota waitlists yesterday made my stomach sink so I know the feeling of the dreaded "soft rejection". I'm actually from South Bend and pretty familiar with Notre Dame which is part of why I applied! Good luck with your apps next year-- wishing you all the best. 

At this point I feel cautiously optimistic; I'm still waiting to hear back from 8 schools and have my fingers crossed that my (allegedly very promising) Ohio State waitlist status turns into an acceptance.  

8 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Re: NYU

For a while, I believe they held the record for earliest notification, although I believe if it wasn't already broken, it's been broken this year. The acceptee has written about the experience and yes, they did get the "big bonus" funding package. 

I do think they've done interviews in the past, but it is a large program so it may not be boilerplate policy.  

In any event, it does NOT seem NYU always sends out all notifications at once. why, i have no idea.

Do you mean the person accepted this year spoke about it, or someone from a previous year?

NYU DOES spread out their news, though-- last year's acceptances ranged from February 23rd to March 2nd, with a couple waitlist additions reported later in March and rejections not until April 4th. So it is fully possible they've started a little earlier this year and we may hear more in the next few weeks.

8 minutes ago, writernity said:

Do you mean the person accepted this year spoke about it, or someone from a previous year?

NYU DOES spread out their news, though-- last year's acceptances ranged from February 23rd to March 2nd, with a couple waitlist additions reported later in March and rejections not until April 4th. So it is fully possible they've started a little earlier this year and we may hear more in the next few weeks.

No from a previous year. She wrote an article about the experience. 

Seems like Vandy started notifying both waitlists and acceptances for fiction today also, so I guess that’s two tentative rejections to pencil into my list from today 😔 hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised!

Edited by 3feetofsnow