2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

1 hour ago, MernaHanson said:

It sounded like calls were supposed to go out this week. There is one acceptance from Wyoming in nonfiction on the draft spreadsheet from yesterday. So maybe some more calls will go out today.

Edit: @decayingballads21 just FYI if you didn't see

Hey all - I received an acceptance call yesterday! They're accepting 5-7 students in this year's cohort with at least 2 other non-fiction students (I write NF). 

3 hours ago, Scribe said:

Great news. I just got a call from Iowa City with an acceptance!

Yay!!!!! Amazing!  ....But does this mean i won't be seeing you in Irvine? 😅

10 minutes ago, ajcam said:

Yay!!!!! Amazing!  ....But does this mean i won't be seeing you in Irvine? 😅

UCI is still the choice but I’m thinking carefully they offered to match until they heard Irvine’s offer. I think she had a mild stroke. It was a great conversation. As of now, you’ll be seeing me in ca

just to be clear, it wasn’t Iowa, it was FAU. 

Edited by Scribe

Hey! super happy that I just got into Chapman U in Southern California with 100% funding as well as a stipend. However, just checking: Does anyone know of Chapman for fiction? I heard they have a good film program....but was wondering how solid they are for fiction. Any advice/opinions super appreciated. 

2a - UCI and Chapman; 7r

10 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

oh damn. I'm feeling down about UVA. anyone else get in? maybe we still have a chance...

I've heard crickets from and about UVA. I'm fiction, but i don't see anything on draft. 

Edited by Scribe

Manhattanville continues to impress me! After a form acceptance yesterday (on a very nice, easy to navigate portal with cute celebratory graphics) the program director followed up with a personal congratulations email today mentioning what the committee liked about my sample (they also let me submit a sample above the listed page limit when I asked lol). Funding decisions are coming in mid-March so I'm not sure if I'll be able to go, but I've gotten the strong impression that it's a very personable and community-oriented program that seems underrated.

6 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

oh damn. I'm feeling down about UVA. anyone else get in? maybe we still have a chance...

Yeah me too…someone posted on Draft about being accepted so they are probably done or almost done notifying people 🥲

1 hour ago, ajcam said:

Hey! super happy that I just got into Chapman U in Southern California with 100% funding as well as a stipend. However, just checking: Does anyone know of Chapman for fiction? I heard they have a good film program....but was wondering how solid they are for fiction. Any advice/opinions super appreciated. 

2a - UCI and Chapman; 7r

Hey, congratulations!! I would agree with you, most of the people I've met from Chapman have been on set through the TV and Film industry. I don't know much about them being known for fiction, but I know the Alumni network is vast, especially in the West. I work in TV so, if you want to get into TV/Film writing, then you'll definitely find your people there. For short stories and Novels, not too sure. Irvine is probably better for Fiction and better environment than Orange, if you're coming from NY. Hope this helps!

7 hours ago, DayOld711Pizza said:

Nothing from my two places just yet, but they have already begun calling people so I'm in acceptance of any outcome. 

My friend overdosed and passed away 8 days ago, so that's been a big reason why I've lost interest in these applications.

Y'all, don't beat yourself up too much throughout this process; there's no point to your suffering.

It certainly puts things in perspective but I'm a bit troubled by the loss of interest in "these applications". For those that have already gone out, what will come will come - the die is cast. but if you are still applying, please remember, you will live with your grief for some time but it will become manageable before the fruits of many present labors. it's hard during a time of loss to keep going to work, paying the bills, doing what you have to. i feel you. 

5 hours ago, MernaHanson said:

It sounded like calls were supposed to go out this week. There is one acceptance from Wyoming in nonfiction on the draft spreadsheet from yesterday. So maybe some more calls will go out today.

Edit: @decayingballads21 just FYI if you didn't see

thank you for tagging me! yeah apparently they were sending out acceptances this week. It’s still crickets here so I’m assuming it’s a R for me 😥

3 minutes ago, writernity said:

Manhattanville continues to impress me! After a form acceptance yesterday (on a very nice, easy to navigate portal with cute celebratory graphics) the program director followed up with a personal congratulations email today mentioning what the committee liked about my sample (they also let me submit a sample above the listed page limit when I asked lol). Funding decisions are coming in mid-March so I'm not sure if I'll be able to go, but I've gotten the strong impression that it's a very personable and community-oriented program that seems underrated.

Congrats!! 🎉 I hope you get a great funding offer 🥳

1 hour ago, writernity said:

Yay! i'm hoping you get superfunded. F SBU. though i am curious to know the real deal costs. 

an official offer would be nice too.

1 hour ago, bumblebup said:

Hey, congratulations!! I would agree with you, most of the people I've met from Chapman have been on set through the TV and Film industry. I don't know much about them being known for fiction, but I know the Alumni network is vast, especially in the West. I work in TV so, if you want to get into TV/Film writing, then you'll definitely find your people there. For short stories and Novels, not too sure. Irvine is probably better for Fiction and better environment than Orange, if you're coming from NY. Hope this helps!

Oh wow, thank you so much!!!!

28 minutes ago, Tuxedocat said:

Congrats!! 🎉 I hope you get a great funding offer 🥳

24 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Yay! i'm hoping you get superfunded. F SBU. though i am curious to know the real deal costs. 

an official offer would be nice too.

Ty both!! Lol, I do like Stony brook too still 🤣 Mville doesn't offer full funding, but they try to cover at least 1/3rd of tuition for all students and the teaching assistantship (which is the real cincher on whether or not I'll go since teaching experience is high priority) turns the 2-year program to 3 years and fully funds the last 2 years. It's about $15k a year total, so if I got that that's all I'd have to pay, or even less with a merit scholarship or lit mag assistantship. I think it's technically possible to get full tuition coverage with the best offers, but idk if anyone actually gets that. The only downside cost-wise compared to SB is that it's too far to commute and the area around is really expensive, and on-campus housing would be about $5.5-6k a semester, so the total costs might end up being about the same or even more expensive. I'd have to do a lot of math to figure out if there'd be a significant difference between them lol, and will definitely have to visit both to see culture in person. Plus I've still got my hopes up for response from other more funded schools, so it might be too early to ramble about math... but if my number crunching can help anyone else in the future I'm happy to do it lol!

9 hours ago, WritingMom said:

Hi all! Notre Dame notified me on the 27th that I was waitlisted but there was no mention of an interview. Can anyone provide insight on what that means or what my chances are? It's the only school I applied to so this is nerve wracking. 😂

I'm waitlisted there too and tried to do some math the other day, but it's all just guess work on my end, haha. For some more accurate information, you could send an email to someone in the department (the program manager, Paul Cunningham, might be your best bet for a contact point) and ask how long the waitlist is. 

It's not a guarantee, but people get into mfa programs off of waitlists all the time. Good luck!!!!

12 minutes ago, branch said:

OMG.

OMG.

I’M WAITLISTED AT NC STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations. What time did you get the email?

30 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Congratulations. What time did you get the email?

Thanks! It was at around 5:30 PM Pacific.