UNC-CH

holler

I just called the department, and the lady I spoke to said they were going to start sending out decisions next week with an email and posting on my.unc.edu, but that the might be staggered over the next couple weeks. I'm not terribly optimistic on my chances though if a number of people have already been accepted via personal emails from professors. The only exception might be if all those people were being nominated for a Fellowship of some kind.

As an alumni of UNC's history department I feel I should point out that it's often not the most coherent or organized place. There are a lot of professors there that aren't as clued into department policy as they should. I would caution those of you who are waiting on that department not to assume organization or system in the way it handles informing people.

As an alumni of UNC's history department I feel I should point out that it's often not the most coherent or organized place. There are a lot of professors there that aren't as clued into department policy as they should. I would caution those of you who are waiting on that department not to assume organization or system in the way it handles informing people.

Haha, this isn't the most ringing endorsement for attending.

Haha, this isn't the most ringing endorsement for attending.

Honestly? It's not. I recieved a very good undergraduate education at Chapel Hill but from what I could see the grad students were over worked and underpaid. I had a interview for a PhD program there (I've gone elsewhere for my masters) and it sent off a ton of red flags about how they saw their grad students. Despite having driven five states for the interview I didn't end up applying there.

Honestly? It's not. I recieved a very good undergraduate education at Chapel Hill but from what I could see the grad students were over worked and underpaid. I had a interview for a PhD program there (I've gone elsewhere for my masters) and it sent off a ton of red flags about how they saw their grad students. Despite having driven five states for the interview I didn't end up applying there.

I realize this is ridiculous and just wishful thinking on my part, but do you know if being an in-state resident has any impact on the grad school application process at UNC in the same way that it does on undergrad?

I realize this is ridiculous and just wishful thinking on my part, but do you know if being an in-state resident has any impact on the grad school application process at UNC in the same way that it does on undergrad?

I still have a North Carolina drivers license and voters registration so as it happens that did come up in the interview. The answer is yes in that the department gets some break on their tuition remission money, but that it wouldn't be a make or break factor in any one application.

A friend in the program told me today that he's been shown a final list of prospective students and that I wasn't on it, sad but not surprising. If you haven't heard then it's likely you've been rejected though he DID say that this "final" list doesn't include alternates.

If it's consolation to anyone he said they accepted only a single person for the study of Asia (all regions) and no one for the Middle East (all regions). Seems like it was a tough year.

A friend in the program told me today that he's been shown a final list of prospective students and that I wasn't on it, sad but not surprising. If you haven't heard then it's likely you've been rejected though he DID say that this "final" list doesn't include alternates.

If it's consolation to anyone he said they accepted only a single person for the study of Asia (all regions) and no one for the Middle East (all regions). Seems like it was a tough year.

Not really a consolation for the Middle East folks. They don't have anyone, so either all of us really sucked compared to the non-globals (possible) or they just don't want the department going that direction (likely).

This makes my life easier, though. Now I know where I am going.

So what is their main direction?

Not really a consolation for the Middle East folks. They don't have anyone, so either all of us really sucked compared to the non-globals (possible) or they just don't want the department going that direction (likely).

This makes my life easier, though. Now I know where I am going.

So what is their main direction?

Judging by their fields of study, the American South, military history, WomGen, and Early Modern/Modern Europe. Not really something they hide.

Still nothing for me. Checked my junk folder too. Were your decisions on the website as well? B/c mine still says there's not decision for me yet.

It says "A decision has been made and you will be notified" on the website for me.

Modern Europe, especially Germany and Russia, are UNC's main non-American focus.

i see that you're a europeanist. makes sense.

UNC is also really well known for latin american history. one of the absolute top programs anywhere.

My rejection just hit at 1:13 AM.

This seems a strange time to be emailing - the only answer I can provide is that they're having grad students send the emails, and those grad students are keeping traditional grad school hours.

My rejection just hit at 1:13 AM.

This seems a strange time to be emailing - the only answer I can provide is that they're having grad students send the emails, and those grad students are keeping traditional grad school hours.

They sure procrastinated like graduate students.