Visiting Weekends 2011

newms

Let's share information on when different Computer Science departments are having visiting weekends/recruitment weekends/open houses this year. I think someone mentioned that CMU is having their open house on Feb 25-26.

Edited by newms

Hey newms!

I have a question about these open-houses. I think I might have some visa-related problems, so possibly I might not be able to get to the US in february / early march, but rather in the first week of april. Do you know if this is ok with the schools, that is, if they wouldn't mind if I visited on another date?

Thanks!

Hey achapiro,

If its a recruiting event then I think they would probably be happy to accommodate you later on - you'd miss the group events, but at least you'd get to see the campus and talk with profs and students. The schools would probably be able to help you get your visa as well. Perhaps if and when you do get invited to a recruitment weekend, you can email the department as soon as possible about your visa issues and ask if you can visit later on while you get your visa. All the best!

any idea how important visits are for prospective MS students? i'm thinking about travelling overseas in early march, and that would probably prevent me from attending some of my schools' visiting weekends.

other than a campus tour, what's are some of the benefits of attending them? any advice would be appreciated!

other than a campus tour, what's are some of the benefits of attending them? any advice would be appreciated!

Well, you get the opportunity to meet with POIs and get an idea of the environment you'll be working in - see how the profs interact with each other and with students, see what kind of resources are available to you in the department. You also get to ask grad students about the school and the department. Plus you get to check out the town/city (even for just a little) to see what kind of place you'd be living in. So I would say it's a really good opportunity to help you make a decision, should you have to choose between schools. Of course, if you have already decided where you're going, then it probably isn't as important in that case.

Edited by newms

nothing related to computer science...but I have also received an invitation to an open house, and don't know if I should go there. I live in Europe, so it would be quite a trip. As I am admitted anyway it would't affect the decision I suppose... could you guys give me an opinion on whether I should go or not?

nothing related to computer science...but I have also received an invitation to an open house, and don't know if I should go there. I live in Europe, so it would be quite a trip. As I am admitted anyway it would't affect the decision I suppose... could you guys give me an opinion on whether I should go or not?

Would they be reimbursing for your trip? Sometimes even when you get reimbursed, the school only covers a certain amount - say $300 or $500. If you are attending multiple open houses in the same city or general area, around the same time, that you could get each school to reimburse you a certain amount so that your entire cost is covered. As much as I would love to go to an open house - I'm an international as well, if the school wouldn't be reimbursing my costs then I'd rather save my money for when I move to grad school.

Edited by newms

I got an invite today from Ga Tech's School of Interactive Computing for a visit from Feb 27 - March 1. Travel is reimbursed, but that isn't really a problem since I live in GA :). Does this mean that I am likely going to be admitted? The email states that they hope to have acceptance letters mailed out by the first week of march..they wouldn't have me visit them and then reject me the weekend after, would they?

Would they be reimbursing for your trip? Sometimes even when you get reimbursed, the school only covers a certain amount - say $300 or $500. If you are attending multiple open houses in the same city or general area, around the same time, that you could get each school to reimburse you a certain amount so that your entire cost is covered. As much as I would love to go to an open house - I'm an international as well, if the school wouldn't be reimbursing my costs then I'd rather save my money for when I move to grad school.

Thanks! In the admissions letter they said they wound reimbourse me in part. The cheapest flight i found was 800 Euros...its in Baltimore, and I am waiting some other east-coast decisions. Would be nice to go there for more than one open house event. I'll see..

I got an invite today from Ga Tech's School of Interactive Computing for a visit from Feb 27 - March 1. Travel is reimbursed, but that isn't really a problem since I live in GA :). Does this mean that I am likely going to be admitted? The email states that they hope to have acceptance letters mailed out by the first week of march..they wouldn't have me visit them and then reject me the weekend after, would they?

It's very possible - did they mention an interview at all, or did they just invite you to help you make your decision? If it's the latter, then its quite likely that you're going to get an admit.

It's very possible - did they mention an interview at all, or did they just invite you to help you make your decision? If it's the latter, then its quite likely that you're going to get an admit.

They did not mention an interview, but they did ask which professors I am interested in meeting. They called it a "recruiting weekend" if that makes a difference.

They did not mention an interview, but they did ask which professors I am interested in meeting. They called it a "recruiting weekend" if that makes a difference.

I can't imagine that they would want to recruit someone that they have not admitted, so I would guess that you're in. I don't know why they have to wait to send you a snail mail though. Perhaps you can ask them for an agenda - the items on it would help to shed some light as to whether you are admitted, but as I said, I think you're in.

From the results board:

UNC Chapel Hill - March 25-27

Georgia Tech (Robotics) - Feb 27-28

Washington - March 15 - 16

Cornell - March 7

Edited by newms