Rejections 2011

Happy to be here

Nope no notification by e-mail. But if you go to the application site it tells you that status will be updated there so I have been checking on a semi-regular basis. I originally thought it would be on the gradstatus page but realized that notifications are not made there.

Nope no notification by e-mail. But if you go to the application site it tells you that status will be updated there so I have been checking on a semi-regular basis. I originally thought it would be on the gradstatus page but realized that notifications are not made there.

Ah, I see. Mine on the main application page just says congratulations all my stuff has been submitted and is under review. OY VEY!

Ah, I see. Mine on the main application page just says congratulations all my stuff has been submitted and is under review. OY VEY!

Mine is also the same. It also indicates that the dicision will be finalized by the end of February or March. However, I believe there is a slight chance that I will luckily get in now.

Rejected from Brown. As other posters have noted, an email to check the website is rarely a good sign...

Ah, well. This is the character-building funny part?

Hi, do you mind telling a bit about your profile? Just for reference :)

And congratulations for being accepted by so many top programs!

Hi, do you mind telling a bit about your profile? Just for reference :)

And congratulations for being accepted by so many top programs!

Thanks :) Here are my stats (with the HUGE caveat that they don't capture the SOP, fit, etc.): I just graduated from a mid-tier state school (the sociology department is ranked higher than the university as a whole--some pretty well-known faculty) with a 3.9 overall, 4.0 in my soc. major. Two semesters as an undergrad research assistant, which turned into a temporary job until I start grad school. My GRE scores were V:800, Q: 730, AW: 3.5. That AW was pretty much a train wreck (26th percentile), but I did have a strong writing sample to counteract that (I hope!!)

I hope this helps...really, though, there are so many X factors that could affect how your application is received: state budgets, how many students your POI already has, who's leaving, who's on sabbatical, what your adcomm had for lunch...etc.

Good luck to everyone and deep breaths...at the very least, the uncertainty will be over soon.

Well, I got my rejection from Northwestern today. So far I've been rejected at 8 out of 10 of my schools and I'm expecting rejections from the last two as well. (rejected from Princeton, Stanford, Michigan, Berkeley, UCLA, Columbia, Northwestern and Wisconsin. Expecting formal rejections from Chicago and Yale soon)

Northwestern was tough because I had received really excellent feedback from numerous professors, two of which went so far as to say that they were looking forward to me being there for the Fall semester. Receiving a rejection with no explanation after that is very confusing. I certainly wasn't expecting to get in everywhere, but I was expecting to at least get in somewhere! Just for morbid, self-pitying fun, here are my stats:

Undergrad GPA in Political Science and Sociology from an Ivy - GPA 3.8

Masters from an Ivy in Sociology - GPA 4.0

GRE Verbal: 750

GRE Quant: 800

GRE Analytical: 6.0

4 years of international development and government funded sociology research

3 peer reviewed publications during grad school

over 20 awards, scholarships and research grants during undergrad, grad and post-grad

excellent recommendations from professors with ties at most of the universities I applied to

contacted people at all schools I applied to and received favorable responses from all

I've worked very hard to succeed in academia and I thought I had a really good shot at most of these schools. Maybe I was too arrogant in thinking I would be admitted.

Well, I got my rejection from Northwestern today. So far I've been rejected at 8 out of 10 of my schools and I'm expecting rejections from the last two as well. (rejected from Princeton, Stanford, Michigan, Berkeley, UCLA, Columbia, Northwestern and Wisconsin. Expecting formal rejections from Chicago and Yale soon)

Northwestern was tough because I had received really excellent feedback from numerous professors, two of which went so far as to say that they were looking forward to me being there for the Fall semester. Receiving a rejection with no explanation after that is very confusing. I certainly wasn't expecting to get in everywhere, but I was expecting to at least get in somewhere! Just for morbid, self-pitying fun, here are my stats:

over 20 awards, scholarships and research grants during undergrad, grad and post-grad

excellent recommendations from professors with ties at most of the universities I applied to

contacted people at all schools I applied to and received favorable responses from all

I've worked very hard to succeed in academia and I thought I had a really good shot at most of these schools. Maybe I was too arrogant in thinking I would be admitted.

I can't believe you did not get in anywhere with such a profile...But what is your motivation for transferring elsewhere? Your ivy is not good enough? So sorry about that, keep strong!

Wow I am shocked that someone with your stats was rejected. Makes you wonder what these adcomms are looking for especially when you say that there was a clear fit between you and some of the faculty above and beyond your stellar stats.

I am confused for you....

Wow I am shocked that someone with your stats was rejected. Makes you wonder what these adcomms are looking for especially when you say that there was a clear fit between you and some of the faculty above and beyond your stellar stats.

Wow, me too! Very confused.

Thanks. It certainly is confusing but I feel like complaining about it makes me seem like I thought I was owed something for having good stats and I guess the reality of it is that I'm not. (even if I really, really, really do want to complain about it) They get to reject and accept whomever they please. But it does make me wonder what they're looking for. It also makes me wonder what on Earth I'm supposed to do now! ha!

Thanks. It certainly is confusing but I feel like complaining about it makes me seem like I thought I was owed something for having good stats and I guess the reality of it is that I'm not. (even if I really, really, really do want to complain about it) They get to reject and accept whomever they please. But it does make me wonder what they're looking for. It also makes me wonder what on Earth I'm supposed to do now! ha!

You have every right to vent. What I love about GradCafe is that you have a place to do so within a community that will understand and sympathize.

In the meantime you do have 2 other schools to hear from.. Heres hoping you receive some great news real soon!

I mean, perhaps you were owed something. It seems ridiculous to think that you got all of those accolades without working your ass of for them... Either way it sucks. Do you have the option of staying in your current program to do a PhD?

Thanks :) Here are my stats (with the HUGE caveat that they don't capture the SOP, fit, etc.): I just graduated from a mid-tier state school (the sociology department is ranked higher than the university as a whole--some pretty well-known faculty) with a 3.9 overall, 4.0 in my soc. major. Two semesters as an undergrad research assistant, which turned into a temporary job until I start grad school. My GRE scores were V:800, Q: 730, AW: 3.5. That AW was pretty much a train wreck (26th percentile), but I did have a strong writing sample to counteract that (I hope!!)

I hope this helps...really, though, there are so many X factors that could affect how your application is received: state budgets, how many students your POI already has, who's leaving, who's on sabbatical, what your adcomm had for lunch...etc.

Good luck to everyone and deep breaths...at the very least, the uncertainty will be over soon.

Congrats on your great profile and acceptances to such great schools!

wait, UCLA has sent out rejections already? Man I am so confused.

I contacted the professor that I had been corresponding with and she gave me the bad news. I know they already sent out their acceptances but if you're holding out for a waitlist offer there's probably still hope. I was just told that "the department was unable to support your application this year." I hope others have better luck!