Carnegie Mellon Professional Writing MA

When I began my application, it was due on February 15th; this afternoon I logged on to see a message changing the due date to February 1st! They're still taking apps until the 15th, but I gather that those arriving after February 1st might have a harder time with funding.

This is very lame because it was their mistake, and no email was sent to applicants who had begun online applications.

I mailed my supporting documents and submitted my online app about ten minutes ago. Thought I'd let everyone know.

Have you emailed the grad secretary? Temple had a similar glitch - I swear they changed the due date on one page to 15 days earlier, but in any case had two very different due dates on the general grad website and even within the English Department website. All it took was an email to clarify. Gawd knows we have enough nerves at this time of the year - it might help to contact them.

I'm emailing them now, but I'm not too worried since they are still going to receive and review my application. I enclosed a letter saying that I hope the change in due date won't affect my application in any way HINT HINT.

Thanks!

What a pain in the ass, though! Sheesh. :rolleyes: I wonder if they troll these boards and decided, "Hey, the anxiety level isn't NEARLY what it *could* be - let's see what we can do..."

(Paranoid and hyperbolic of me, to be sure, but isn't that what the season calls for?)

Good luck :)

I emailed Professor Schnakenberg in the department and received a very fast, very kind reply saying that they will take applications until the 15th and that all applications will be considered equally for financial aid. WHEW! She was super nice and reassuring, and said that they were just careless with the posted dates.

Hi everyone,

I'm Kelly Delaney, the Coordinator of Academic Programs for the English Department at Carnegie Mellon. I apologize again for the confusion. Applications that we receive by February 15th, 2011 WILL receive full consideration for all available funding opportunities. Please contact me if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Kelly

412-268-3089

kellydel@andrew.cmu.edu

Hi everyone,

I'm Kelly Delaney, the Coordinator of Academic Programs for the English Department at Carnegie Mellon. I apologize again for the confusion. Applications that we receive by February 15th, 2011 WILL receive full consideration for all available funding opportunities. Please contact me if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Kelly

412-268-3089

kellydel@andrew.cmu.edu

This post, in light of Chumlee's earlier comment, makes me smile.

When I began my application, it was due on February 15th; this afternoon I logged on to see a message changing the due date to February 1st! They're still taking apps until the 15th, but I gather that those arriving after February 1st might have a harder time with funding.

This is very lame because it was their mistake, and no email was sent to applicants who had begun online applications.

I mailed my supporting documents and submitted my online app about ten minutes ago. Thought I'd let everyone know.

Hello to Tortola23 and all applicants to our MAPW program who may have encountered this situation. As program director, I'm writing to clarify the situation. Due to an unexpected glitch, we incorrectly posted two different deadlines -- February 1 and February 15 -- for our MA in Professional Writing applications for fall 2011. Because of the error, we will definitely accept applications until February 15 and will give all applications completed by that date full and equal consideration for financial aid. It would certainly facilitate the admissions process, however, if applications can be completed prior to February 15 as we need to make admissions decisions by early March. I apologize for any confusion or concern and urge anyone who has a problem with the application process to contact me at the address below.

Dr. Karen Schnakenberg

MAPW Director

Department of English

Carnegie Mellon University

krs@cmu.edu