Maryland Acceptance

I thought UMD's website said that they don't notify over the phone or via e-mail. It said that all results would be mailed. I kind of hope that the acceptance posted is a fake, as I received no phone calls from UMD, and they are one of my top 3 choices.

I thought UMD's website said that they don't notify over the phone or via e-mail. It said that all results would be mailed. I kind of hope that the acceptance posted is a fake, as I received no phone calls from UMD, and they are one of my top 3 choices.

I didn't seriously expect to get in there, but it still makes me worry. According to results from previous cycles, Maryland uses email as its primary method of acceptance notification.

If I recall correctly, Maryland gets anywhere from 350 to 400 applications for like 7-10 spots, and it seems to be in that dangerous position of being more of a "safety" school for those who apply almost exclusively to top-20 programs, and more of a top choice for everyone else (which means that the competition is with both really good fits and the super elite applicants).

I'd love to work with Neil Fraistat, but I suppose that UMD gets a million applications like mine--18th/19th Brit Lit and Digital Humanities. It's up there in my top 3 as well, but, again, I knew that I had slim to none chances of actually being in the top 7-10 out of 350-400.

I applied to UMD and have not heard anything via any method as of yet. I was also under the impression that all information would come in the mail from them.

Now that I think about it, there's a good chance that the acceptance is fake, especially considering that last year everything initially went out as email notifications (people may have called individually to check in, but it seems that the initial wave (sometime between Feb 10 and 12 last year) was all email).

I'm trying to figure out the Testudo thing. I can't find any sort of UID or SID for me to log in; they may be assigned only to enrolled students.

I'm trying to figure out the Testudo thing. I can't find any sort of UID or SID for me to log in; they may be assigned only to enrolled students.

Okay. I figured it out. The UID is listed under "Verify Contact Information" in the Application Supplemental Form (ASF). The PIN, as the Testudo page indicates, defaults to MMDDYY birthday.

I see "Pending Decision" listed under my status, but this is just the general Graduate School, which tends to find out about and update application status a bit later than informal email/phone acceptance notifications from the department.

Okay. I figured it out. The UID is listed under "Verify Contact Information" in the Application Supplemental Form (ASF). The PIN, as the Testudo page indicates, defaults to MMDDYY birthday.

I see "Pending Decision" listed under my status, but this is just the general Graduate School, which tends to find out about and update application status a bit later than informal email/phone acceptance notifications from the department.

Wait--What's "Testudo"? I've just been looking at the ASF page...

Wait--What's "Testudo"? I've just been looking at the ASF page...

Nevermind. I found it. Quick question though-- The "Contact Phone Number"--Is that supposed to be your phone number? Because mine is definitely not...

Nevermind again. I googled it, and it's the phone number for the graduate studies coordinator.

Edited by Tybalt

I can't find it - where is it? I've been checking ASF too.

I just searched UMD for "Testudo" and the page came up. I logged in the way TC3 recommended. I saw the same thing he/she did: "Pending Decision."

I'm web challenged apparently. I can't figure out where to login. This is why I fear that in my teaching career my students will be coming in with kindles and I will have an anxiety attack! lol

Google "maryland testudo." It should be the first result, and there should be subpages indicated under the general page on the Google result. Click "admissions," and on the right side of the screen there should be a link for grad application status.

Google "maryland testudo." It should be the first result, and there should be subpages indicated under the general page on the Google result. Click "admissions," and on the right side of the screen there should be a link for grad application status.

Thank you, kindly! All that for what I knew would be there "Pending Decision"

I'm taking this as that post that you saw was spam and not to worry! Especially since the ASF clearly states in bold letters that they cannot communicate decisions via phone or email.

Well, good news/bad news on that.

Bad news- Based on past years, Maryland DOES notify by phone and e-mail. I'm guessing that the notice on the ASF is just to prevent people from calling/e-mailing to ask for an update.

Good news- The notifications don't seem to be a one-day affair. They've been staggered in each of the last two years. So even IF the acceptance is valid, the fact that we haven't heard anything is not necessarily the kiss of death.

Well, good news/bad news on that.

Bad news- Based on past years, Maryland DOES notify by phone and e-mail. I'm guessing that the notice on the ASF is just to prevent people from calling/e-mailing to ask for an update.

Good news- The notifications don't seem to be a one-day affair. They've been staggered in each of the last two years. So even IF the acceptance is valid, the fact that we haven't heard anything is not necessarily the kiss of death.

Hello! I just wanted to chime in and say that UMD does not only notify by email. I was accepted via phone in January as a candidate for a fellowship. (Other than UMD, I applied to top-20 schools, but I will be absolutely delighted to go to UMD. My undergrad GPA is not as strong as I'd like, and neither is my GRE subject score, but my other stats are on the higher end.) From my visit to the school, my best guess is that they are letting people know one-by-one or in small waves. They are cutting their program in half this year.

That's all to say, if you haven't heard, don't worry!

Hello! I just wanted to chime in and say that UMD does not only notify by email. I was accepted via phone in January as a candidate for a fellowship. (Other than UMD, I applied to top-20 schools, but I will be absolutely delighted to go to UMD. My undergrad GPA is not as strong as I'd like, and neither is my GRE subject score, but my other stats are on the higher end.) From my visit to the school, my best guess is that they are letting people know one-by-one or in small waves. They are cutting their program in half this year.

That's all to say, if you haven't heard, don't worry!

I thought that they cut the program in half two years ago, as in accepting only 6-8 instead of 15.

Perhaps the McNair fellowship notification would be different because the deadline for those was in January.

I found out this afternoon that I didn't get into Maryland (which was expected--I'm not crushed by it), and wanted to share my info with everyone else anxiously awaiting. I emailed the Dr. Ray with a question about part of my file (not asking when we'd hear or anything like that). The response:

"Thanks for the update and for your continuing interest in our program. We have now narrowed our list to our final admits and unfortunately you were not among them. We had about 200 applications and the competition was very, very keen."

So, less competition than I thought, but they've apparently made their final list. Good luck to the other applicants here!

I found out this afternoon that I didn't get into Maryland (which was expected--I'm not crushed by it), and wanted to share my info with everyone else anxiously awaiting. I emailed the Dr. Ray with a question about part of my file (not asking when we'd hear or anything like that). The response:

"Thanks for the update and for your continuing interest in our program. We have now narrowed our list to our final admits and unfortunately you were not among them. We had about 200 applications and the competition was very, very keen."

So, less competition than I thought, but they've apparently made their final list. Good luck to the other applicants here!

I suppose that means that we should expect acceptance notifications to go out by the end of the week.

I love that you put 'assumed rejectoins' in your signature...it made me laugh. Not at you - with you :)

Hey, gotta have some sort of classification for that month or so that separates admission and rejection notifications :).

Hello. Sorry to disappoint, but it was no fake (Hopefully at least it's good to know that for sure!) I was the one who posted that acceptance. I got a very nice (and somewhat sudden and unexpected) phone call. I'm an Early Modernist. I have another good offer, though, so we'll see. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Edited by wrader

Hello. Sorry to disappoint, but it was no fake (Hopefully at least it's good to know that for sure!) I was the one who posted that acceptance. I got a very nice (and somewhat sudden and unexpected) phone call. I'm an Early Modernist. I have another good offer, though, so we'll see. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Congrats! I did my undergrad at Towson, so I know the MD area very well. What is your sub-field? Who were you looking to work with? Did they give any indication as to how large the cohort would be this year? There have only been 2 acceptance postings for MD, so I'm hoping they've only notified those who are being put in for university fellowships.

Congrats! I did my undergrad at Towson, so I know the MD area very well. What is your sub-field? Who were you looking to work with? Did they give any indication as to how large the cohort would be this year? There have only been 2 acceptance postings for MD, so I'm hoping they've only notified those who are being put in for university fellowships.

I am interested in gender, race, and international encounters. They said they had about 10 in the cohort right now, with 2 or 3 early modernists. I don't know if they are just notifying fellowships or not. What do you think about Maryland? Is it possible to get decent housing near campus?

What do you think about Maryland? Is it possible to get decent housing near campus?

Hey wrader, I did my undergrad at UMD (different field, though) and have lived in the next county over most of my life. The area around College Park is pretty affordable, especially for this region. If you're going to have a car and can live a mile or two away from campus, it'll be quieter and nicer (fewer undergrads). The university also had decent grad housing, I've heard, but I've never been to them. If you want to know anything about the area, feel free to ask!