Maryland Acceptance

Someone posted an e-mail acceptance today. Anyone claiming it? Maryland's notification set up is very strange (there have been I think three acceptances posted so far, all on different days, almost a week apart from each other).

Someone posted an e-mail acceptance today. Anyone claiming it? Maryland's notification set up is very strange (there have been I think three acceptances posted so far, all on different days, almost a week apart from each other).

Hi! I'll claim it. I posted on the forum a week or so ago about my call about acceptance and a fellowship, but didn't post on the results page before today because I didn't yet have an official acceptance. But I got an email in the middle of the night last night that told me to check my status online. I assumed that others would have gotten a similar email (because it seemed like a form email), but now I'm guessing that's not the case.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

anyone have any updates about if they're done with admits? i'm assuming at this point they're done notifying unless there is a large gap between fellowship notifications and regular TA funding notifications.

I was wait-listed for UMD via e-mail today. I had completely assumed that I was out of the running. It would be an absolutely perfect scenario for me--and even if I don't get in off the list, it's nice to know that I got close with at least one of my applications.

me too...and I'm hoping they're going in alphabetical order...

From the wording of the e-mail, I'm guessing that they have a tiered wait-list. Dr. Ray wrote something along the lines of "if you accept another offer, please let us know so that we can inform someone else of their status on the wait list." So if you don't hear anything, that might not mean auto-rejection. You could be one e-mail away from a spot. Incidentally, if any of the currently admitted early modernists have other offers, I'll be your bestest friend if you take those offers and turn UMD down. :)

I e-mailed Dr. Ray to ask about the size/ranking of the wait list. I was told that they don't rank the wait list, and it's all in how the acceptances shake out. Out of the people accepted/wait-listed, what are your sub-fields? I'm an early-modernist, so it looks like my best bet for admission is if the 2-3 early-modernists already accepted take other offers...

I e-mailed Dr. Ray to ask about the size/ranking of the wait list. I was told that they don't rank the wait list, and it's all in how the acceptances shake out. Out of the people accepted/wait-listed, what are your sub-fields? I'm an early-modernist, so it looks like my best bet for admission is if the 2-3 early-modernists already accepted take other offers...

I'm in 18th/19th century transatlantic studies, so I don't really know how they're classifying me (american lit, transatlantic, 18th century...)

I'm Restoration and early 18th century. So I second the excitement about us not competing. Do you think it's intentional that we all have different areas? (AKA there might only be one or two of us in each field?)

at least none of us are competing against each other for spots :)

I'm Restoration and early 18th century. So I second the excitement about us not competing. Do you think it's intentional that we all have different areas? (AKA there might only be one or two of us in each field?)

I'm not trying to get too excited (because then it will hurt all the worse if I don't get in--I only have three more "live" applications out there, and UMD is SO much better than any of them for me--It's literally down the road from 80% of my family in an area that I know well, and it happens to be a Godly fit for me research interests).

That said- In years past, Gradcafe has only shown about 4-6 UMD wait-list postings. Also, Dr. Ray mentioned that the list isn't ranked, because it all comes down to how the initial offers shake out. It seems, to me at least, that there would be one or two folks in each sub-field on the wait-list. It also seems like they have a secondary wait-list, because the e-mail said to notify them if we accept another offer, so that they "could notify someone else of their position on the wait list."

Basically, we're rooting for the people who received offers in our sub-fields to get/accept better offers.

Is Wrader still on the Cafe? I hear Minnesota is wonderful. :)

In all serious though, no pressure. If UMD is your best fit, I know you have to go for it. With a few other early-modernists likely to be in a 10 person cohort, I can always hope that another one turns them down.

Is Wrader still on the Cafe? I hear Minnesota is wonderful. :)

In all serious though, no pressure. If UMD is your best fit, I know you have to go for it. With a few other early-modernists likely to be in a 10 person cohort, I can always hope that another one turns them down.

Yes, Minnesota is wonderful. I probably won't be able to decide until I visit both campuses, so it might be late March...

Dr. Ray told me there were three early modernists accepted in the initial pool, which was the largest group among the 10.

Yes, Minnesota is wonderful. I probably won't be able to decide until I visit both campuses, so it might be late March...

Dr. Ray told me there were three early modernists accepted in the initial pool, which was the largest group among the 10.

Cool. I've never actually been to Minnesota (though my thesis adviser went there three or four hundred years ago, and he speaks highly of it). Maryland is great, though. Not only are the stacks awesome, but it's a short Metro ride away from the Folger and all the awesomeness that can be found in DC. Are you visiting on your own or during the welcome day/grad conference?

To those on the wait list and going to the visit weekend--have you gotten any details about the plan for the day? I emailed Dr. Ray but haven't heard back yet, so naturally I'm assuming my delay in accepting the invitation means I'm no longer on the wait list. (It's crazy what this process will do to your ability for rational thinking!)

To those on the wait list and going to the visit weekend--have you gotten any details about the plan for the day? I emailed Dr. Ray but haven't heard back yet, so naturally I'm assuming my delay in accepting the invitation means I'm no longer on the wait list. (It's crazy what this process will do to your ability for rational thinking!)

I replied, and she said that she'd send the itinerary soon. I haven't received it yet, but I'm sure they'll send it in good time. They are probably still ironing out the details of the schedule. While it's awesome that they are coordinating the visit day with their graduate conference, I'm sure it's a scheduling nightmare. Don't panic--they will send out the info when it's finalized (honestly, I wouldn't even bug them about it unless we get into the first few days of March without word). I look forward to meeting you guys, and I know of some good places to hit in DC if y'all want to take a Metro ride (I know of an awesome sushi place a block away from the Folger library).

Thanks for easing my (ridiculous) worries! I'll be staying in DC with friends as well, so it promises to be a fun, if insanely busy, weekend.

Dr. Ray told me (and I may not have this all completely right) that we would all get together and have lunch Friday somewhere, then some kind of poetry reading and seeing the campus, and then dinner. Next day is obviously the conference.

it will be fun to meet everyone. I'll probably arrive a day early to get some hangtime in with my DC friends so I don't have to worry about possibly missing anything on Friday or Saturday. I actually lived in DC for a month while I was a trainer at a restaurant, so it will be quite bizarre returning with the possibility of living there again (I've visited since then).

I'm going in on thursday too... this way if I have some sort of traveling catastrophe it will not affect friday plans...

Dr. Ray told me (and I may not have this all completely right) that we would all get together and have lunch Friday somewhere, then some kind of poetry reading and seeing the campus, and then dinner. Next day is obviously the conference.

Has anyone on the wait list received information about next weekend? It's been a week since I emailed, and I haven't gotten a response. I don't want to be that annoying applicant, but I also need to make travel plans--I know there are things happening on Friday, but since I live in driving distance, I'd like to know more so I can decide which day to arrive. I thought it would see if I was the only one still waiting for an itinerary before I contacted the department, since it's possible they're still organizing things. (It's also possible I'm over-thinking, because I am an obsessive planner and an obsessive emailer.) If I haven't heard anything by the end of tomorrow, I'm going to have to contact them, but if somehow my email was missed when everyone else was contacted, I'd like to go ahead and email them as soon as possible.

Neurotic? Completely. But I'd like to blame this whole application process for that.

Has anyone on the wait list received information about next weekend? It's been a week since I emailed, and I haven't gotten a response. I don't want to be that annoying applicant, but I also need to make travel plans--I know there are things happening on Friday, but since I live in driving distance, I'd like to know more so I can decide which day to arrive. I thought it would see if I was the only one still waiting for an itinerary before I contacted the department, since it's possible they're still organizing things. (It's also possible I'm over-thinking, because I am an obsessive planner and an obsessive emailer.) If I haven't heard anything by the end of tomorrow, I'm going to have to contact them, but if somehow my email was missed when everyone else was contacted, I'd like to go ahead and email them as soon as possible.

Neurotic? Completely. But I'd like to blame this whole application process for that.

I haven't heard anything yet. I was going to give it until Monday or Tuesday before e-mailing. I'm also driving down (I'm about 6 hours north, in western NY state). The important info for me is what time things are happening on Friday. I'd prefer not to miss my Thursday night Shakespeare seminar (since I'm already going to miss it two weeks later for the CEA conference), but even if I leave right after class, I wouldn't get to MD until 4am. If there are events planned in the morning/early afternoon on Friday, I doubt I would give a good impression on no sleep.