Counseling Psych/Mental Health Counseling M.A. thread

avas

Hi all,

I haven't seen a general thread for Counseling Psych or Mental Health Counseling peeps yet. Anyone applying to one of these Masters programs? I'm anxiously waiting to hear from Lesley, Northeastern, NYU, Fordham, Hunter and Columbia Teachers College. Has anyone else applied to these places, or heard from any others?

Hi all,

I haven't seen a general thread for Counseling Psych or Mental Health Counseling peeps yet. Anyone applying to one of these Masters programs? I'm anxiously waiting to hear from Lesley, Northeastern, NYU, Fordham, Hunter and Columbia Teachers College. Has anyone else applied to these places, or heard from any others?

Hey Boston0110,

I attended the general information meeting for both Teachers College and NYU. However, I only applied to the Teachers College program ad not both because of the (my perception) larger resource for a cheaper tuition (per credit) that Teachers College has to offer. In regards to acceptance/rejection, the admissions for Columbia stated that they would get back to their applicants usually around the middle of March (but depending on when you submitted your application, you will probably hear from them sooner). Another good thing about the masters program in Psychological Counseling (specifically Mental Health Counseling, although I'm not sure if it applies to the other specializations) is that you can apply for an en passante masters degree when you're halfway through with your masters in education degree. In other words, you will obtain both a masters of the arts degree and a masters in education degree when you graduate(which I think is totally awesome).

Hope this helped. Let me know if you have more questions or if you just want to chat

Hey Boston0110,

I attended the general information meeting for both Teachers College and NYU. However, I only applied to the Teachers College program ad not both because of the (my perception) larger resource for a cheaper tuition (per credit) that Teachers College has to offer. In regards to acceptance/rejection, the admissions for Columbia stated that they would get back to their applicants usually around the middle of March (but depending on when you submitted your application, you will probably hear from them sooner). Another good thing about the masters program in Psychological Counseling (specifically Mental Health Counseling, although I'm not sure if it applies to the other specializations) is that you can apply for an en passante masters degree when you're halfway through with your masters in education degree. In other words, you will obtain both a masters of the arts degree and a masters in education degree when you graduate(which I think is totally awesome).

Hope this helped. Let me know if you have more questions or if you just want to chat

Chak - Thanks for the info - that is awesome! I had no idea that was possible with Columbia's program. Did you apply to other schools besides TC? I wish I knew how competitive these programs were in general - it seems like kind of a niche field (esp compared to Social Work), so not at all sure what to expect.

Chak - Thanks for the info - that is awesome! I had no idea that was possible with Columbia's program. Did you apply to other schools besides TC? I wish I knew how competitive these programs were in general - it seems like kind of a niche field (esp compared to Social Work), so not at all sure what to expect.

I also applied to several masters program in Mental Health Counseling throughout the CUNY system based in the New York City area. There is a new program at Baruch College, and since I am currently an undergraduate there, I applied to this program as well. If you are interested in the type of Mental Health, I hear that Baruch's program is health-based.

Actually I initially applied to the Mental Health Counseling program at Teachers College, but decided to go into the 1 year masters program in Clinical Psychology: Personality and Psychopathology instead. I was weighing the pros and cons and considering what my goals are, I decided that it was better for me to go into the 1 year program instead of the 2 years program. Not saying that one program is better than the other, but rather the structure of the program itself and what each has to offer are disparate. So to aswer your question regarding TC, the 1 year masters program is much easier to get into than the 2 year masters program.

-Chak

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I applied to Northeastern, Harvard, BU, Columbia, NYU, GW, American, and Tufts.

I got rejected from both Northeastern and GW :-( but I got an interview with BU. Have you heard from Columbia or NYU?

Hi all,

Hey,

I applied to Northeastern, Harvard, BU, Columbia, NYU, GW, American, and Tufts.

I got rejected from both Northeastern and GW :-( but I got an interview with BU. Have you heard from Columbia or NYU?

Another counseling psych person, so excited! I got rejected from Northeastern too, yesterday. Ugh. What Harvard and Tufts program did you apply to? Congrats on the BU interview. I haven't heard anything from Columbia or NYU... so frustrating... but I have an interview at Lesley next month.

Another counseling psych person, so excited! I got rejected from Northeastern too, yesterday. Ugh. What Harvard and Tufts program did you apply to? Congrats on the BU interview. I haven't heard anything from Columbia or NYU... so frustrating... but I have an interview at Lesley next month.

Admissions office for Teachers College stated that they will get back to their applicants around the middle of March...so there is still a couple of weeks for nail biting (or no nail biting!) haha

Admissions office for Teachers College stated that they will get back to their applicants around the middle of March...so there is still a couple of weeks for nail biting (or no nail biting!) haha

That seems like an eternity!

That seems like an eternity!

I know! The person on the other line actually chuckled when I gave my not-so-subtle reaction on the phone in response to her deadline answer. I admit that it was(and still is) a bit funny, but stil.... :(

I know! The person on the other line actually chuckled when I gave my not-so-subtle reaction on the phone in response to her deadline answer. I admit that it was(and still is) a bit funny, but stil.... :(

Tic tok... Tic tok...Tik tok... That's how all of February felt. I'm waiting on Teachers College and NYU as well. As far as Masters programs go, I'm most excited to hear from NYU. A friend scared me when he said he didn't hear of his acceptance into Brooklyn College until July last year. I really hope that's not the case with TC and NYU.

Tic tok... Tic tok...Tik tok... That's how all of February felt. I'm waiting on Teachers College and NYU as well. As far as Masters programs go, I'm most excited to hear from NYU. A friend scared me when he said he didn't hear of his acceptance into Brooklyn College until July last year. I really hope that's not the case with TC and NYU.

Tick tock, indeed... which programs are you applying to?

Hey Boston0110,

That en passante aspect is awesome. I've been finding that NYU tends to let their applicants know more towards mid-march rather than sooner, however this is entirely dependent on the program and date the application was submitted. Last year, Steinhardt let most of their addmited students know around March 19th...

Tick tock, indeed... which programs are you applying to?

Mental health counseling Masters at both (and same in Brooklyn College). Those are my 3 Masters programs out of a total of 11 applications... I heard back from 2 so far =/

Mental health counseling Masters at both (and same in Brooklyn College). Those are my 3 Masters programs out of a total of 11 applications... I heard back from 2 so far =/

Nice, same as me. I've heard the city colleges are slow. Where else did you apply, if you don't mind me asking?

Nice, same as me. I've heard the city colleges are slow. Where else did you apply, if you don't mind me asking?

Hofstra (rejection), La Salle (interview), LIU, U of Hawaii, U of West Georgia, CIIS, Yeshiva, and Rutgers.

You?

Hofstra (rejection), La Salle (interview), LIU, U of Hawaii, U of West Georgia, CIIS, Yeshiva, and Rutgers.

You?

Ahh, Hawaii would be amazing! Why didn't I think of that?? :) My places are Northeastern (rej), Lesley (interview), Suffolk (accepted), Fordham, NYU, Columbia, Hunter

Ahh, Hawaii would be amazing! Why didn't I think of that?? :) My places are Northeastern (rej), Lesley (interview), Suffolk (accepted), Fordham, NYU, Columbia, Hunter

Nice. Congrats on Suffolk :)

Yeah I would love to live in Hawaii for the weather, but surprisingly, I liked their program a lot too. Unfortunately, it turns out they don't take Bachelors into the PhD program (which I swear, I could not find anywhere on the site) so they moved my application into the MA program =(

hey avas what do you think of suffolk's program? I'm thinking of applying there as well.

Hey eleri,

Honestly, I wasn't impressed with Suffolk when I went to their open house/info session, and I applied there as a safety. The student rep who was there was pretty candid about the fact that the department didn't help much with finding internships. I don't know... I just got a negative vibe overall. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Hey eleri,

Honestly, I wasn't impressed with Suffolk when I went to their open house/info session, and I applied there as a safety. The student rep who was there was pretty candid about the fact that the department didn't help much with finding internships. I don't know... I just got a negative vibe overall. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks! That's basically what I was thinking too. I visited them in August. I'm thinking of applying there because I'm nervous about not getting into any of my top choices.

Thanks! That's basically what I was thinking too. I visited them in August. I'm thinking of applying there because I'm nervous about not getting into any of my top choices.

I think they are desperate... I got an acceptance letter like two weeks after I applied! What are your top choices?

I think they are desperate... I got an acceptance letter like two weeks after I applied! What are your top choices?

wow I wish every school was that quick! I think the waiting is starting to get to me. My top choices are Northeastern, Umass Boston, and Boston College. I also applied to Boston University's M.A. in psych program but i don't think I want to go there because it's more research based and doesn't lead to licensure.