Counseling Psych/Mental Health Counseling M.A. thread

avas

Ahhh finally people in the same boat as me! This waiting game is a killer.

I applied to CUNY Brooklyn, Adelphi, UMass Boston, Univ. of Rochester, San Francisco State, Lesley and Northeastern. I got rejected from Northeastern and accepted to Rochester. I've heard nothing from the rest except interview invites at UMass and Lesley. However I have until Thursday to let Rochester know if I'm going to attend in the fall and I'm freaking out since it was one of my last choices. i don't want to turn it down and then not get accepted anywhere else. On the other hand I don't want to accept, pay the deposit and sign documents saying I'm going to attend and then get into another school.

Ahhh finally people in the same boat as me! This waiting game is a killer.

I applied to CUNY Brooklyn, Adelphi, UMass Boston, Univ. of Rochester, San Francisco State, Lesley and Northeastern. I got rejected from Northeastern and accepted to Rochester. I've heard nothing from the rest except interview invites at UMass and Lesley. However I have until Thursday to let Rochester know if I'm going to attend in the fall and I'm freaking out since it was one of my last choices. i don't want to turn it down and then not get accepted anywhere else. On the other hand I don't want to accept, pay the deposit and sign documents saying I'm going to attend and then get into another school.

Nikkimanni - finally someone else who applied to Lesley! Was your interview last Monday, by any chance? =) I was at that one and still no word. So frustrating.

Still waiting to hear from BC...called today said admissions decisions should be out in the next week or two which sucks since other schools have the April 15th deadline....so frustrating!

Just got accepted to Fordham's MHC masters program. So now it comes down to an MA in general psych from NSSR--with the hope of getting into their clinical PHD program--vs. the MS in MHC at Fordham, which I'm hoping would put me in a strong position to apply for their PHD in Counseling Psych (assuming I could gain research and lab experience). Hmmm...

Hi fellow Fordham MHC applicants,

Has anyone received a packet via snail mail from Fordham GSE as a follow-up to their admission e-mail? Anyone heard anything re: funding or scholarship money? Just curious.

Thanks.

Hey Everyone! I'm new here so please help me out. Im a junior psych major. Im going to be graduating a semester early so im doing my research for grad school now. I decided Im not sure Im ready for a Phd or Psyd program so I think Im going to do a Masters in mental health counseling. I want to be able to do private practice someday and I understand that in NYS you get licensed and then you can do that. I am confused when I read all your posts about Masters in Psych programs that you have applied to. What career can you have with that degree? When I went to CW Post open house I asked that question and their response was "none". I thought that was harsh but maybe they had a point. Also there are about 15 MHC programs in the NYC area alone, have you all not applied to them for specific reasons, or do you just apply near where you live? If there are any other areas on this site I should be inquiring please direct me as I said its my first time here. Thanks in advance for all your responses.

Hey Everyone! I'm new here so please help me out. Im a junior psych major. Im going to be graduating a semester early so im doing my research for grad school now. I decided Im not sure Im ready for a Phd or Psyd program so I think Im going to do a Masters in mental health counseling. I want to be able to do private practice someday and I understand that in NYS you get licensed and then you can do that. I am confused when I read all your posts about Masters in Psych programs that you have applied to. What career can you have with that degree? When I went to CW Post open house I asked that question and their response was "none". I thought that was harsh but maybe they had a point. Also there are about 15 MHC programs in the NYC area alone, have you all not applied to them for specific reasons, or do you just apply near where you live? If there are any other areas on this site I should be inquiring please direct me as I said its my first time here. Thanks in advance for all your responses.

You were told that a masters in MHC was a dead end with respect to a career? I think that's probably true of a masters in "general psych." For example, NSSR's MA in general psych is not meant to be a terminal masters--it's how they weed out people for their clinical PhD program.

You can practice as a psychotherapist in NY with a MHC masters. After completing the program, you have to work under supervision for a couple of years and take the exam in order to get licensed. I have been told, however, that those who want to be in private practice with a MHC degree may find struggle financially in the NYC area, where you're competing against PhDs.

In terms of how to go about choosing MHC programs--I applied to Fordham because, 1) I liked the atmosphere 2) they offer a PhD in Counseling Psych in addition to the MS in MHC 3) it's in NYC.

hey there! Maybe what I wrote wasnt clear, i thought the MA in psych is a dead end career wise but most people on here are applying to that. I thought the MHC is the better choice. dId you only apply to MHC at fordham? What about all the other NY schools that have MHC? And what does the Phd program have to do with it? Do you intend to apply to that too or go to that after your masters?

hey there! Maybe what I wrote wasnt clear, i thought the MA in psych is a dead end career wise but most people on here are applying to that. I thought the MHC is the better choice. dId you only apply to MHC at fordham? What about all the other NY schools that have MHC? And what does the Phd program have to do with it? Do you intend to apply to that too or go to that after your masters?

Fordham was my first choice for an MHC degree. I've been accepted there, and it's one of my top two schools. I mentioned the PhD in Counseling Psych at Fordham because I think I may want to apply for that degree after completing the masters program. I also applied to MHC programs as CUNY Brooklyn College and SUNY New Paltz. The only MA in General Psych to which I applied was NSSR--but I applied there knowing that the degree was not a final destination. That's the dilemma I'm wrestling with right now: if I go to the New School for an MA but then don't get admitted to a PhD program, I'm somewhat screwed. If I get my masters in MHC at Fordham, I at least have some career options should I not get into a doctoral program. I'm trying to decide between those two programs, and I have to make up my mind by the end of the week (time to put down a deposit!).

I have complled a list of all MHC programs in the NY area. They include, Fordam, NSSR, Hunter, Teachers College, Cuny, Brooklyn College, Pace, Touro, St.Johns, Ferkauf, Baruch, Adelphi and Cw Post. (Im from LI). So since my goal is to do child psychology which program do u think would be best? Its hard to know what the programs actually teach you.Id like to someday do a Psyd, I dont want the research involved in the phd, im more interested in the counseling aspect of psychology. I currently am an undergrad at New Paltz and Its time for a change. BTW I would like to stay in touch and hear about what you decide and how it goes. I am samblues@aol.com, and my name is Alison.

I have complled a list of all MHC programs in the NY area. They include, Fordam, NSSR, Hunter, Teachers College, Cuny, Brooklyn College, Pace, Touro, St.Johns, Ferkauf, Baruch, Adelphi and Cw Post. (Im from LI). So since my goal is to do child psychology which program do u think would be best? Its hard to know what the programs actually teach you.Id like to someday do a Psyd, I dont want the research involved in the phd, im more interested in the counseling aspect of psychology. I currently am an undergrad at New Paltz and Its time for a change. BTW I would like to stay in touch and hear about what you decide and how it goes. I am samblues@aol.com, and my name is Alison.

I'll shoot you an e-mail so you have my address. I'm honestly not sure which program would be best for a child psychologist career path--I haven't really looked into that. Are you sure NSSR offers an MHC degree? I think that's a 30 credit masters in psych with a concentration in substance and alcohol abuse. I could be wrong, but I think that degree would enable you to get licensed as a drug counselor, but not a psychotherapist (at least not in NY).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everybody!!

I just found out that I have an interview for the MHC program at Brooklyn College. Does anyone know what the interview process is going to be like? What kind of questions are going to be asked !! Im so nervous lol.

:) Thanks, Sarah

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. I wanted to know if someone could tell me about some MHC terminal programs. I was looking into NYC or Philly. Some of the schools I was thinking of applying to are:

Philly: Temple University, Villanova: which program have you heard is better in MHC? Both schools have similar courses, but does Villanova cater more to its students than Temple because Temple also has PhD students, so do master's students get treated as 2nd class?

NYC: Hunter College, Brooklyn college, Fordham, Touro, NYU: any info about these schools?

My top choices were CUNY Hunter, Villanova and Temple. Can anyon give me any info as to which of these schools is better in terms of education, faculty and job placement.

Thank you for any information provided!