Materials science 2011

nicklo

Hello everyone,

I have applied to the MSE program at:

UCB

Stanford

MIT

Caltech

I haven't yet heard from any of them....I noticed there are a few postings of admits in the results forum for all these schools....Does anyone know if the rest are on a waitlist/rejected as the visiting days are fast approaching?

Hey nicklo-

Nice to see a MatSci specific thread. I'm also applying to MSE PhD programs for Fall 2011. I applied to:

UC Berkeley

MIT

Harvard (Applied Physics)

Northwestern (unofficially accepted)

UIUC (accepted)

Princeton (PRISM) (accepted)

Caltech

It looks to me like Caltech has sent out their invites for the interview weekend, and in my experience (based on friends interviewing at Caltech for other programs) there will be no more interview invites. Based on the survey results, MIT looks pretty grim now, as does UCB. But there is always hope for some late decisions or wait list acceptances.

Looks like you were pretty gutsy with your choice of schools, hope it pays off for you. Best of luck!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but UC Berkeley has already contacted everyone for the MSE visit weekend, I believe (I'm a current UCB grad student).

Edited by Slorg

Berkeley is not likely accepting any more? Really? Only two accepted people are on gradcafe's results page for Berkeley PhD Materials Science. Do schools still accept people without inviting them to an open house? I still also haven't heard from UC Berkeley, MIT, Northwestern, Cornell (applied physics), and UCSD.

My stressed rant: Why don't they just send out rejection letters already? Why does this process take so long? I would like to know where I am accepted so don't have to visit schools I wouldn't consider if I was accepted to others. There are only so many weekends in March.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but UC Berkeley has already contacted everyone for the MSE visit weekend, I believe (I'm a current UCB grad student).

Slorg,

Do you know what date Berkeley MSE is hosting the visiting weekend?

On the website, it says they will start evaluating the application from Mid-Feb, but then you said they have sent out all the acceptance...

Just want to see whether I still have chance for Berkeley...

Thanks.

Hi,

I applied in Materials Science to five schools: Michigan, Ohio State, Virginia, RPI, and Wisconisn-Madison for the Fall 2011 quarter/semester.

Got the acceptance email from Virginia in the second week of February, a few days after Wisconsin sent me a rejection by email. Haven't heard from the rest.

Has anyone else applied to/been accepted by these schools?

Cheers,

Jay

Hi, I applied to MSE PhD in Carnegie mellon and don´t know anything about desicions. Has someone recieved an acceptance/rejection letter from CMU? I hope they didn't make all desicions by now.

I am not sure about CMU. For some of the school I applied to, like Caltech and UMich, they evaluate domestic students first. I called them a week ago and they told me that they are getting to the international one soon. Usually there are ~50 domestic students applicants, but 200-500 international applicants.

So....I ask myself to be patient.

Also talked to the admission committee in my school. He told me that this year is just a hard year...sth like the economic is going up but the hiring rate isn't there yet...so there's less funding for grad student. Not sure whether his reasoning is right or not, but there definitely not a good news.

Has anyone heard anything from Berkeley MSE?

There aren't many (I think 1) results about it this year on the results page, so maybe they haven't told people about acceptances yet.

It's getting late in the game and I'd like to have my options on the table before I start more seriously considering where I want to go.

Has anyone heard anything from Berkeley MSE?

There aren't many (I think 1) results about it this year on the results page, so maybe they haven't told people about acceptances yet.

It's getting late in the game and I'd like to have my options on the table before I start more seriously considering where I want to go.

I received an acceptance email from the UCB MSE department head in late Jan but other schools have been eerily quiet since then..

what other schools did you apply to emandar?

I received an acceptance email from the UCB MSE department head in late Jan but other schools have been eerily quiet since then..

what other schools did you apply to emandar?

I also applied to Stanford MSE (I was admitted there to PhD program). It seems odd that berkeley wouldn't even send a rejection notice; I thought I was a good candidate.

Michigan replied to my email saying they're making decisions through this month and the next. That's not saying much, but at least it's something. Judging from the results of previous years, Michigan's MSE decisions seem to come out in early March.

I haven´t. I'm asking the same for Carnegie Mellon MatSe. Has anyone heard something about it? I hope international applicants are been under review already!!!!!

I heard from Michigan in December.

Michigan replied to my email saying they're making decisions through this month and the next. That's not saying much, but at least it's something. Judging from the results of previous years, Michigan's MSE decisions seem to come out in early March.

• 2 weeks later...

MIT materials science decisions are out! received my rejection email last weekend.. congrats to those who were admitted!

anyone heard from Harvard for applied physics?

I just got my acceptance from Caltech MatSci, about an hour after my rejection from MIT. Still waiting on Harvard Applied Physics, however I figure they're done and I'm just waiting for a postal rejection notification. Now deciding between Princeton, Caltech and Northwestern. The UIUC visit was only so-so.

I just got my acceptance from Caltech MatSci, about an hour after my rejection from MIT. Still waiting on Harvard Applied Physics, however I figure they're done and I'm just waiting for a postal rejection notification. Now deciding between Princeton, Caltech and Northwestern. The UIUC visit was only so-so.

congrats, you've done exceptionally well to gain admission to most of the schools you applied to! i've only been admitted to one.. bummer!

i also applied to northwestern but have not heard anything from them, guess it's another rejection in the mail..

which school are you leaning towards out of all the acceptances you've got so far?

Hey, thanks for the info. Did you attned the open house? Any clue when they'll be done with their decisions? Also, could you post which other schools you are waiting to hear from/have been accepted by?

I heard from Michigan in December.

• 4 weeks later...

I am an international applicant. I have applied to the following places:

Purdue(masters), arizona state university(masters)

Ohio state,northwestern,penn state, wustl, rutgers, north carolina - (PhD)

Any body from the international applicant pool who can tell me if I still have a chance at any of these places since I have not heard from any of them except northwestern and ohio which have put me on the waitlist. Its getting late!

• 2 weeks later...