GPPI (Georgetown) Results

smerd

Kyeulsa, I was supposed to hear back about scholarships the week of Feb 14th, but didn't hear back for over a week later -- I think they tend to be a bit late.

Thanks! Given the post below me hope they are notifying today!

Thanks! Given the post below me hope they are notifying today!

I just heard back too, I was supposed to get notification last week though, so looks like in accordance with what everyone else said, decisions are delayed by 1 week.

G luck all!

On 3/8/2011 at 8:40 AM, gordon_shumway said:

Anyone know if Georgetown will increase an individual's scholarship award based on competing offers?

On another message board, an applicant tried this without much luck. I don't think it ever hurts to ask though.

I received an email of acceptance on the third of March. However, it states that i will be receiving an official admissions letter in the next few days. Which email is it that you guys have received?

Further, the letter stated that merit-based aid would be decided upon in the next two weeks, but not that i needed to write a scholarship application essay.... Does this mean that i am not eligible for merit based aid anymore, or is it common for prospective students to be given merit based aid without having written a specific application essay?

I got my acceptance email on Feb. 14 and still haven't received my packet! It's been 3 weeks... I assume financial aid decisions are the culprit, but I wasn't asked to apply for scholarships, so it's need-based. Anyone else been waiting a ridiculously long time for their packet???

I got my acceptance email on Feb. 14 and still haven't received my packet! It's been 3 weeks... I assume financial aid decisions are the culprit, but I wasn't asked to apply for scholarships, so it's need-based. Anyone else been waiting a ridiculously long time for their packet???

I don't think anyone's gotten their snail-mail packet yet. I got my acceptance email the week after you, and still haven't gotten anything official in the mail yet either.

I got my snail mail packet in the mail yesterday. I didn't get any info on financial aid other than a reiteration of the initial scholarship I was notified about by email in late February. Nothing on need-based aid in the packet. Nice little handwritten note from the Admissions Dean though--classy touch.

I don't think anyone's gotten their snail-mail packet yet. I got my acceptance email the week after you, and still haven't gotten anything official in the mail yet either.

Does anyone have any further information about the Open Houses? All the email said was April 1 and 8. As someone from out of town, I was hoping to start planning the trip now, but I'm not sure if both dates are open to everyone or what time the Open House will take place. Any information would be helpful! Smerd, was it in your packet?

I just got my acceptance (!) and I have the same question as Hakuna... if the email didn't mention anything about merit aid/ scholarships, should I assume that I'm not in the running for any? To the people who received invitations to apply for scholarships: did that notice come with the initial acceptance letter, or did it come later?

Thanks in advance! Good luck, all!

I received my "recommended" email on 16 Feb ( applied 18 Jan). Similar to what other's have posted. It had information about need based aid, etc will be sent via mail in the next few weeks. It included information about Open houses but nothing about scholarship.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>Does that mean i am not eligible for scholarship?

I am ecstatic! but I am an international student and surely will not be able to pay for it, without aid and scholarship..

</div><div><br></div><div>Edited for correction</div>

Does anyone have any further information about the Open Houses? All the email said was April 1 and 8. As someone from out of town, I was hoping to start planning the trip now, but I'm not sure if both dates are open to everyone or what time the Open House will take place. Any information would be helpful! Smerd, was it in your packet?

I asked Emmet Griffin about this too, since I'm planning on flying in from San Francisco to attend the April 1st open house. It looks to me like the agenda is the exact same for April 8. I've copy/pasted the agenda he sent me (this was not included in my snail mail packet):

Georgetown Public Policy Institute

Fall 2011 Admitted Student Open House

Healy Hall 103

Friday, April 1 and 8, 2011

Agenda

1:30 – 2:45 p.m. Welcome and Program Overview

2: 45 – 3:15 p.m. GPPI Career Options

3:15 – 3:45 p.m. Financing Your GPPI Education

3:45 – 4:15 p.m. Coffee Break

4:15 – 5:00 p.m. Sample Class

5:00 – 6.00 p.m. Faculty Presentation

6:00 – 6:30 p.m. GPPI Student Perspective

6:30 – 8:30 p.m. Reception

Yes, the initial acceptance emails asked for additional info for the merit-based scholarships (due a week later).

But when i contacted the department, they said that the merit based aid would be decided upon during this and next week, and that no additional essay was required.

Thanks so much for your response daniSF! Do you know if you have to register for the event beforehand? I'm hoping to make it to the April 1 Open House as well, so hopefully I'll be seeing you there!

I asked Emmet Griffin about this too, since I'm planning on flying in from San Francisco to attend the April 1st open house. It looks to me like the agenda is the exact same for April 8. I've copy/pasted the agenda he sent me (this was not included in my snail mail packet):

Georgetown Public Policy Institute

Fall 2011 Admitted Student Open House

Healy Hall 103

Friday, April 1 and 8, 2011

Agenda

1:30 – 2:45 p.m. Welcome and Program Overview

2: 45 – 3:15 p.m. GPPI Career Options

3:15 – 3:45 p.m. Financing Your GPPI Education

3:45 – 4:15 p.m. Coffee Break

4:15 – 5:00 p.m. Sample Class

5:00 – 6.00 p.m. Faculty Presentation

6:00 – 6:30 p.m. GPPI Student Perspective

6:30 – 8:30 p.m. Reception

Ohhh, then apparently I am getting no love from GPPI. Ah well... I kind of always knew they were going to end up being out of my price range.

Thanks very, very much for answering this question!

Yes, the initial acceptance emails asked for additional info for the merit-based scholarships (due a week later).

Ohhh, then apparently I am getting no love from GPPI. Ah well... I kind of always knew they were going to end up being out of my price range.

Thanks very, very much for answering this question!

Not necessarily! Going on Arkibarki's post above, it seems like they're doing merit aid in a couple of batches.

But yeah...at least from these fora/my experience, it seems that many/most of the merit awards Gtown gives out aren't substantial enough to take much of a chunk out of the predicted $60K(!!) cost of tuition +living in DC projected by their website.

Thanks so much for your response daniSF! Do you know if you have to register for the event beforehand? I'm hoping to make it to the April 1 Open House as well, so hopefully I'll be seeing you there!

Hey arsenal,

I don't think that you have to register beforehand (at least I didn't). I'll check with admitted students' website later tonight. Don't you wish they could have provided the link to the website in the e-mail notification, rather than on paper? Haha.

Aw, thanks for the encouragement. I really wish the schools could be a tiny bit more transparent about this stuff... I can't see how these guessing games are to anyone's benefit, really. I am truly ready for this roller-coaster to be over!

Not necessarily! Going on Arkibarki's post above, it seems like they're doing merit aid in a couple of batches.

But yeah...at least from these fora/my experience, it seems that many/most of the merit awards Gtown gives out aren't substantial enough to take much of a chunk out of the predicted $60K(!!) cost of tuition +living in DC projected by their website.

Thanks - I'd really appreciate it! I didn't even know anyone could access the admitted students' site. Do you need a login? If not, do you think you could PM me the link?

And it looks like you've picked a good weekend to visit - they're predicting that weekend to be peak cherry blossom time! Thanks again for your help!

Hey arsenal,

I don't think that you have to register beforehand (at least I didn't). I'll check with admitted students' website later tonight. Don't you wish they could have provided the link to the website in the e-mail notification, rather than on paper? Haha.

My quasi-acceptance email from GPPI was on Feb 8th. In that one, they said they'd "recommend" me to the graduate school, and it also it included a paragraph with the header "GPPI Merit-Based Aid" above the paragraphs "Need based Financial Aid" and "Fall 2011 Open House Dates." The Merit-Based section told me to submit an essay within two days. I got my notification from the scholarship committee on Feb 26.

I know they've done this in batches in the past, so it's possible that yours is to come. You might try giving GPPI a call. They've already admitted you, so they should give at least a little bit of info. They work for you now! :)

Thanks Smerd! I shall call them up and see what's going on.

But reading through the posts, seems like I am not the only one who is waiting. I also didn't get a note about scholarship and didn't have to do an essay so I keep wondering if I am ineligible as well.... And worst of all, I am starting to wonder, did they send a wrong email?

I check my mailbox everyday for a letter, but nothing so far. NADA..

Thanks - I'd really appreciate it! I didn't even know anyone could access the admitted students' site. Do you need a login? If not, do you think you could PM me the link?

And it looks like you've picked a good weekend to visit - they're predicting that weekend to be peak cherry blossom time! Thanks again for your help!

I came across this website few weeks ago accidentally but I didn't save the link!

TOo bad I wont be able to attend the open houses. Do let us know how it goes.

I think a lot of us are yet to receive anything more than the initial email. Hopefully we didn't all get the wrong email!

Thanks Smerd! I shall call them up and see what's going on.

But reading through the posts, seems like I am not the only one who is waiting. I also didn't get a note about scholarship and didn't have to do an essay so I keep wondering if I am ineligible as well.... And worst of all, I am starting to wonder, did they send a wrong email?

I check my mailbox everyday for a letter, but nothing so far. NADA..

I also JUST got my snail mail packet even though I was admitted Feb. 14... no info about financial aid at all... anyone else? Without aid looks like I'll be heading to GW!

I'm still waiting for an admissions/rejection email - same from AU. Both submitted before the priority deadline. Was told by both that I'd hear by mid-March.

I find it hard to believe they'd make all funding decisions before reviewing all the applications submitted by the deadline, so you may still hear.