Acceptances?

lydibird

ir720, would you be able to forward any info or insights about SLAIS/UBC should i need any. Theyve said that they will inform accepted applicants by e-mail within 6 weeks of the deadline. That's next Tuesday so here's hoping.

Hi Weepsie,

Of course, I would be happy to answer any questions / offer insights if you need! I started this last September, so I'm in my second term at SLAIS. Just let me know! And best of luck to you!

I've not heard a thing from UBC, now I've heard that someone hasbeen accepted and someone has been contacted saying theyll know this week I think it does not bode well for my application.

I've not heard a thing from UBC, now I've heard that someone hasbeen accepted and someone has been contacted saying theyll know this week I think it does not bode well for my application.

Hey Weepsie,

Not at all. I contacted them first about the status of my application. You're just more patient than I am ^_^

Hey Weepsie,

Not at all. I contacted them first about the status of my application. You're just more patient than I am ^_^

Ah I see. It's not so much patience as that I bombarded them with questions in December and January and feel they'd probably be a bit sick of me. Maybe next week I'll contact again though. I'm amazed to say that they and other folk from UBC I've had to contact have been very quick to respond, quicker than some places here in Ireland.

Ah I see. It's not so much patience as that I bombarded them with questions in December and January and feel they'd probably be a bit sick of me. Maybe next week I'll contact again though. I'm amazed to say that they and other folk from UBC I've had to contact have been very quick to respond, quicker than some places here in Ireland.

I completely agree. That's actually what makes me commend Canadian MLIS programs even more. All the Canadian universities that I applied to reply really quickly. Usually less than 24 hours. If it takes longer than that, they always explain why and it's ALWAYS for a really good reason.

It's the end of the week and I still have two friends who haven't heard anything. Anyone else heard/not heard from UBC?

a few others on another site have heard nothing. I take some comfort in the site saying 6 weeks between applications closing and acceptance e-mails being sent. 6 weeks is this Tuesday

Go check your email if you applied to the University of Washington! Just randomly checked mine and saw that I was accepted! Wasn't really expecting anything new since it's the weekend, so it was a pleasant surprise :)

I got accepted Saturday as well!

It's an acceptance to the online rather than the residential program, and I can't help but be a tad disappointed. I shouldn't complain, though. I did indicate I'd be willing to do the online option when I was applying. Now that I've heard back from everyone I just have to decide what my least expensive option is.

I applied to UBC MLIS and have not heard anything yet.

I have just this moment sent both the SLAIS and Faculty of Graduate Studies e-mails asking if there was a definitive date. I suggested I had tentative offers with deadlines looming in the hope it would garner a swift response. I was quite impressed with the application process, compared to other schools at least it was quite hassle free so I just expected them to be almost on the nose with their dates for offers. It'll probably be by the end of this week before we know.

I'd like to know by Thursday as that St. PAtrick;s day and being Irish and having Friday off work I can celebrate or drown my sorrows, the latter of which will be more expenseive as I wont need the money so much

I have just this moment sent both the SLAIS and Faculty of Graduate Studies e-mails asking if there was a definitive date. I suggested I had tentative offers with deadlines looming in the hope it would garner a swift response. I was quite impressed with the application process, compared to other schools at least it was quite hassle free so I just expected them to be almost on the nose with their dates for offers. It'll probably be by the end of this week before we know.

I'd like to know by Thursday as that St. PAtrick;s day and being Irish and having Friday off work I can celebrate or drown my sorrows, the latter of which will be more expenseive as I wont need the money so much

I got an email from UBC which said "The admissions committee made its final decisions and found a number of elements in your application quite appealing; they have requested that we ask if you would agree to be considered in June for admission to the MLIS cohort in January 2012."

Just heard from Illinois today- accepted! How does anyone ever choose?!

Congrats! That's exciting!

Choosing is really hard. I'll probably go off of wherever ends up being the least expensive for me. I'm boring that way.

I got an email from UBC which said "The admissions committee made its final decisions and found a number of elements in your application quite appealing; they have requested that we ask if you would agree to be considered in June for admission to the MLIS cohort in January 2012."

That's still more than I've got myself. the ominous writing on their site is as follows

"Notification of AcceptanceAll recommendations for acceptance are subject to Faculty of Graduate Studies approval. Applicants who are reccommended accepted to SLAIS will be notified by email within six weeks of the application deadline. Applicants who are not accepted will receive official notification from the School by mail. In a very limited number of cases, applicants may be selected for a short waitlist or recommended to a later admission date within the same academic year."

That suggests that unsuccesful applicants have to wait it out longer to be officially informed. I don't see why it's not just e-mail that's used. Maybe I'm jumping the gun but I'm expecting a reply today and it being in the negative.

Congratulations! I haven't heard anything from UBC myself, but, regardless, I'm super happy for you since it's such an excellent program :) Woot! Great job!

Someone else on another site has been accepted. 8.15AM PDT (so 4:15 in my local time). It's probably not worth my while to stay up til 1am to find out, one because im sick today and im fairly sure ill get nothing. I'm still a little disgusted that rejections have to wait longer to be formalised. Maybe it has to do with people rejecting them and them later offering people a place, but still. My likely lack of funding makes it a distant chance of me going anyway but I've a few reasons to think why I'd not be accepted, though I've more to believe i should be.

Congrats to any succesful applicant this far, maybe we could form a trans-atlantic Link between various US/Canadien Universites and my own (UCD most likely) for LIS students to throw around ideas and exchange info etc.

My ire may have been premature, I just got an e-mail offering early admission to the january 2012 programme and being put on the waiting list. If i could find work for sept-december i would take it as itd give me the ti,e to save as much as id need plus id be arouund for christmas.

they said something to the effect that theyve had a record number of applicants

* that's the waiting list for September which is apparently short.

Edited by Weepsie

I got notice as well.

They've given me the option to choose to be admitted in September or January.

Good job, everyone! I hope to see you all there!

Fair play, seems all things have come good. I still believe it's wrong that those who dont get in seem to be notified later from what i can gather. Now I've a big decision. I was just about to finalise my decision for the place here in Irelan, now I've to do some serious thinking and accounting. If I were to find out well in advance that I could get some funding of some sort I'd obviously jump at the chance.

I'd be going on my current projection have 15000 dollars in all for fees, rents etc which is a few thousand off what I'd need i guess even with a modest fee of 4200.

Edited by Weepsie

Fair play, seems all things have come good. I still believe it's wrong that those who dont get in seem to be notified later from what i can gather. Now I've a big decision. I was just about to finalise my decision for the place here in Irelan, now I've to do some serious thinking and accounting. If I were to find out well in advance that I could get some funding of some sort I'd obviously jump at the chance.

I'd be going on my current projection have 15000 dollars in all for fees, rents etc which is a few thousand off what I'd need i guess even with a modest fee of 4200.

Without a doubt. All week, I was so happy for everyone who had received an e-mail of acceptance but I also thought to myself "What did I possibly do wrong on my application?" and was pretty low all day yesterday. I hate it when these things get to us but c'est la vie, right? I also have the financial aspect of the program to consider, but I think bathing in happiness is better for my soul right now.

Please pardon my rudeness. This thread is turning out to be a very UBC-SLAIS centered thread.

Congrats to all who have been accepted to Illinois. It's an amazing program. That was the US program I really wanted to apply for, but the cost for international students scared me too much to even give it a go.

Yes it has become very ubc-slais centric for that I apologize. Congrat to anyone accepted to any of the programmes in Canada and US. I steered clear of the US soully because of cost (though I hope to work there) and went with UBC as its remarkbly cheap for international students (4200 CA dollars), it has most of the courses im interested in and I've always wanted to live in or near vancouver. a separate thread will follow now i think