Carnegie Mellon

Ooh! That's still something. Congratulations, cread. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. I haven't heard a peep from them and I don't know what to make of it. Any statistics in the email that you got?

Thanks! No stats whatsoever. Just said that they will accept people in the order of the list. No clue how long it is or where I am on it.

Rejected for the PhD, accepted to the MA with half-funding (+non-guaranteed opportunity to TA) and encouraged to apply to their PhD after the Masters. I'd like to be excited, but it's hard to put it in perspective when I was hoping for a PhD program.

Which subfield is this, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi All,

I emailed the coordinator there and she said the committee was hoping to have all final decisions made by March 2nd. What isn't clear is if they will be sending out decisions up until March 2nd or on March 2nd. Hope this helps.

Does "final decisions" mean "we'll know who's coming in the fall" or just "we'll know whom we've accepted, rejected, and waitlisted?"

An important distinction to make...probably impossible for them to know who's coming in the fall by then...that would assume that not only all the original acceptances had made up their minds, but all of those who had been waitlisted had done so as well.

OY VEY.

Rhetoric - same as you, right Rhet Man? Were you invited to the welcome days at the end of the month? Also, if a space doesn't open up for you in the PhD, do you still have the option of the MA?

No, I wasn't invited (partly, I'm sure because I'm a PhD-only applicant and so they don't know if they want me yet at all).

Congratulations on your admission, even if the circumstances aren't perfect. It's a great program and I'd be thrilled to see you there.

• 4 weeks later...

Self-serving BUMP #2. Would love to hear from anyone accepted or waitlisted for the PhD in Rhetoric; I don't see any people falling into either category in "Waitlisters Paradise" either.

Self-serving BUMP #2. Would love to hear from anyone accepted or waitlisted for the PhD in Rhetoric; I don't see any people falling into either category in "Waitlisters Paradise" either.

I am wait listed under the Literary and Cultural Studies program...however, I was curious if you had any further correspondence with the program other than the e-mail that informed you that you were on the wait list? And for that matter, does anyone else know anything about the depth of the wait list?

I am wait listed under the Literary and Cultural Studies program...however, I was curious if you had any further correspondence with the program other than the e-mail that informed you that you were on the wait list? And for that matter, does anyone else know anything about the depth of the wait list?

Sanchez:

The director of my potential program...which, as you've indicated, is not the same as yours...replied to an email I sent to her and told me that the total number of applicants on their list is "no bigger than ten." That includes all original acceptances and waitlists. She would not offer specifics regarding my place in that ten-or-less person list, saying that me knowing that part wouldn't make any difference in my chances. Finally, she told me I belonged among "the best and the brightest," which was of course very flattering.

I suggest contacting the director of your program, asking him/her for stats (make that the exclusive purpose of the inquiry). Or alternately just hang in there for 11 days, as I'm trying my best to do.

I'm in the same place. I haven't heard anything since the waitlist email, and CMU is my top choice and likely my only shot at grad school next fall. Crossing my fingers.

I got antsy and contacted the department this week. Unfortunately, they weren't really able to tell me anything. Kelly said that she couldn't tell me where I was ranked on the waitlist and that they wouldn't know anything for sure until the 15th. She also said that she'll let me know if they hear anything sooner. If you're not going to accept an offer from CMU, I'd really appreciate it if you let them know!

• 2 weeks later...

Just received a message indicating that the rhetoric PhD is still in flux. If anyone has any info about the status of their application (especially an accepted application, of course), I'd appreciate it.