Predicting University results with Tarot cards

DoubleHelix

Me and my friend (under Isabell nickname), who is a practicing magician, are currently exploring different approaches to get the application result, without having to wait for official correspondence. The Tarot deck seems to provide a slight advantage over other methods. However, to learn whether this advantage is statistically significant, we need more data collected from different subjects tongue.gif

So, If you would like to know whether miracle will happen and you'll finally get into your dream college - post your request here (one university per subject) Seven additional subjects are invited right now, so please be quick smile.gif

Prediction is better when there is some kind of emotional contact, so please send us a private message describing (in a few sentences) the one emotionally rich event from your biography.

Results on your request will be obtained and posted in this topic in evening by US time (or kept private if you wish)

Please do not forget to inform us after you get an official decision, if our predictions were helpful!

Prediction is better when there is some kind of emotional contact, so please send us a private message describing (in a few sentences) the one emotionally rich event from your biography.

Results on your request will be obtained and posted in this topic in evening by US time (or kept private if you wish)

Please do not forget to inform us after you get an official decision, if our predictions were helpful!

Also, provide some information about your application, i.e. the name of the university. Keep in mind, that we need not exactly the event from your biography, but an emotional contact with you during the prediction process. 

Also, provide some information about your application, i.e. the name of the university. Keep in mind, that we need not exactly the event from your biography, but an emotional contact with you during the prediction process.

This sounds like fun!

My husband got into Penn State, but I'm really hoping from Boulder. Unfortunately, their admissions committee hasn't made so much as a peep yet. Should I get my hopes up or be satisfied with Penn State?

This sounds like fun!

My husband got into Penn State, but I'm really hoping from Boulder.  Unfortunately, their admissions committee hasn't made so much as a peep yet.  Should I get my hopes up or be satisfied with Penn State?

Tarot Deck answers that you want to get positive answer from Boulder and will make some actions in order to follow your will, probably, next week. But after a month no positive answer should come.

Anyway, our future changes and if you really want, just do what you could do. But first, think about what you are currently waiting from your studying in Penn State? Would you be satisfied or not:) That is the our answer.

Hi,

I was admitted to Univesity of Essex, without a funding. I'm really hoping from U. of Arizona and U. of Calgary. Alsoi, I know that a guy was admitted to the same program at Calgary with 4-year full-funding. Should I get hopes with UAZ or Calgary?

51.jpg

The answer is 2 of Swords. Swords symbolize knowledge, also there are changes to the better. So, I suppose, the answer is yes, congratulations. Waiting a respond from you. Write to us when you have result from the university.

Edited by Isabell

Tarot Deck answers that you want to get positive answer from Boulder and will make some actions in order to follow your will, probably, next week. But after a month no positive answer should come.

Anyway, our future changes and if you really want, just do what you could do. But first, think about what you are currently waiting from your studying in Penn State? Would you be satisfied or not:) That is the our answer.

Discouraging. :(

I heartily approve of DIY science. I can think of at least three ways to improve your methodology, though:

1) Along with each prediction, state your estimate of the chance that your interpretation of the cards was incorrect. (i.e., given that the Tarot deck has the real power to convey some message, the chance that you correctly guessed what that message is.)

2) Also state the estimated probability, given that Tarot does not work, of the event portrayed in the message occurring, given all the non-Tarot information that was given to you. (I posted a thread earlier providing a rough estimate of the chances that one would get into any schools, for instance, given only the information about what schools an applicant applied to.) If the interpretations you get are likely to be highly idiosyncratic - "if you have good news it will come this week" for one school, "you will not get in" for another - then we may have to throw out predictions whose anterior likelihood is not easily calculable. Your method is to ask for a dream school, whose probability of admission (knowing nothing else) is presumably somewhere around the admissions rate - the dream school is probably the most selective school to which the candidate applied, which should push the chance down, but also a relatively stronger fit for research interests, which should push chances up. What would be ideal would be if, instead of asking for dream school, you asked for a randomly chosen school (research participants could roll a die) and requested that neither the person's profile nor their emotional connection provided information that would be useful for determining whether they got in or not. In that case, if there are no selection effects (Gradcafe users participating in an empirical test of Tarot reading) then the anterior non-supernatural likelihood of admission is just the admissions rate. Of course how many data points you should throw out like this depends on how big your samples are and how many events you can provide with an accurate anterior likelihood.

3) Include a control group: a group of data points composed of false queries and emotional memories.

Some quick googling can show you some sites online used to conduct research studies, which may help you raise your sample size.

This sounds like fun!

My husband got into Penn State, but I'm really hoping from Boulder. Unfortunately, their admissions committee hasn't made so much as a peep yet. Should I get my hopes up or be satisfied with Penn State?

This might mean nothing to you, but I got a rejection from Boulder's Environmental Sciences program so.... I'd say no news is good news!

Me and my friend (under Isabell nickname), who is a practicing magician, are currently exploring different approaches to get the application result, without having to wait for official correspondence. The Tarot deck seems to provide a slight advantage over other methods. However, to learn whether this advantage is statistically significant, we need more data collected from different subjects tongue.gif

So, If you would like to know whether miracle will happen and you'll finally get into your dream college - post your request here (one university per subject) Seven additional subjects are invited right now, so please be quick smile.gif

That's all i need to provide?? sounds very simple. but i want to give it a try! one university per subject....hard to choose...mmm....will i get into University of Chicago? this is not my dream school, not one of the top or least several schools. But just the one which is always quiet and i mostly did not pay as much attention as others. Do not know why to choose this one...(before i change my mind, gonna send this out!)

Bit of reluctant to ask for my dream school. heheh...Thanks!!!

That's all i need to provide?? sounds very simple. but i want to give it a try! one university per subject....hard to choose...mmm....will i get into University of Chicago? this is not my dream school, not one of the top or least several schools. But just the one which is always quiet and i mostly did not pay as much attention as others. Do not know why to choose this one...(before i change my mind, gonna send this out!)

Bit of reluctant to ask for my dream school. heheh...Thanks!!!

The answer is no. Ace of Swords and The Tower. They are grave cards.

I heartily approve of DIY science. I can think of at least three ways to improve your methodology, though:

1) Along with each prediction, state your estimate of the chance that your interpretation of the cards was incorrect. (i.e., given that the Tarot deck has the real power to convey some message, the chance that you correctly guessed what that message is.)

2) Also state the estimated probability, given that Tarot does not work, of the event portrayed in the message occurring, given all the non-Tarot information that was given to you. (I posted a thread earlier providing a rough estimate of the chances that one would get into any schools, for instance, given only the information about what schools an applicant applied to.) If the interpretations you get are likely to be highly idiosyncratic - "if you have good news it will come this week" for one school, "you will not get in" for another - then we may have to throw out predictions whose anterior likelihood is not easily calculable. Your method is to ask for a dream school, whose probability of admission (knowing nothing else) is presumably somewhere around the admissions rate - the dream school is probably the most selective school to which the candidate applied, which should push the chance down, but also a relatively stronger fit for research interests, which should push chances up. What would be ideal would be if, instead of asking for dream school, you asked for a randomly chosen school (research participants could roll a die) and requested that neither the person's profile nor their emotional connection provided information that would be useful for determining whether they got in or not. In that case, if there are no selection effects (Gradcafe users participating in an empirical test of Tarot reading) then the anterior non-supernatural likelihood of admission is just the admissions rate. Of course how many data points you should throw out like this depends on how big your samples are and how many events you can provide with an accurate anterior likelihood.

3) Include a control group: a group of data points composed of false queries and emotional memories.

Some quick googling can show you some sites online used to conduct research studies, which may help you raise your sample size.

I'm a practicing magician, not scientist.

• 11 years later...
10 hours ago, roseyfox said:

Will I get accepted by the universities I have applied to? I think I gave my 100(everyone does) but still a bit nervous!

No way you just bumped an eleven year old thread that OP said was over ?