NSERC 2011-2012

boourns

I called fgsr monday and got the same answer- that the list was unofficial. The grad coordinator of our dept had an answer though and sent out emails to students in the dept accordingly.

I got a letter from the grad studies office at my university telling my I received an NSERC scholarship! w00t.

It's either the CGSM or PGSM, but I won't know until I get the letter from NSERC (today?). In any case, I can only hold the PGSM in the US.

Congrats to the other scholarship/grant/fellowship winners!

Does anyone happen to know about NSERC's usual 'second round' of awards? Does a rejection letter actually need to say you can still be considered for an award later in the year? If it says that the 'committee was unable to recommend you for an award,' does this mean you are ineligible for any of the second round awards (i.e. awards given after people decline NSERC)?

I am from the west coast, haven't heard any result yet. Keep waiting, testing my patience....

Living in Vancouver here and just got my letter. Didn't win any award. :(

I applied for PGSD. My record so far (from my M.Sc. degree): 1 first author paper, 3 second author papers (including one in a high impact journal), 8 conference presentations and 3 volunteering.

Unfortunately I think it does need to say it if you are still eligible. The letter I got today said I was recommended but that there were insufficient funds at this time and that I would be informed by June 1 if more became available. Let the waiting continue.

Does anyone happen to know about NSERC's usual 'second round' of awards? Does a rejection letter actually need to say you can still be considered for an award later in the year? If it says that the 'committee was unable to recommend you for an award,' does this mean you are ineligible for any of the second round awards (i.e. awards given after people decline NSERC)?

I got my NSERC PDF rejection yesterday (Toronto). There were no scores in the letter. Does this mean that my application wasn't scored at all or do I just have to ask them for the scores? I am assuming they would be quite bad but I would like to know them nonetheless.

I got my NSERC PDF rejection yesterday (Toronto). There were no scores in the letter. Does this mean that my application wasn't scored at all or do I just have to ask them for the scores? I am assuming they would be quite bad but I would like to know them nonetheless.

I got rejected, too. I e-mailed them for more details and they replied and said they'll mail me that in June.

You have to e-mail them to be sent the evaluation details.

BTW, did you get pre-approved for IRDF?

i'm in ottawa and I don't have my letter yet! I only have the result from admin at my school. This is super frustrating as other ppl in my class got their letters. I can't fully believe the result without my letter.

Hi hellothere2,

Do you win a CGS?

I received email from NSERC this morning saying that "a limited number of letters were misdirected for some recipients of Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarships".

Don't know if I win or not. I haven't received any letter. The grad secretary at my school would not let me know either. :(

I got rejected, too. I e-mailed them for more details and they replied and said they'll mail me that in June.

Thanks for the answer. I didn't apply for IRDF.

"Hi hellothere2,

Do you win a CGS? " [how do i do a real quote??]

I won CGS last year so maybe i got it again, i only asked my grad admin if I got NSERC and I didn't specify...how did you find out some letters were mid directed? I didn't hear from NSERC.

thanks,

Edited by hellothere2

to recycle_bin and mselft:

Does the letter say that you might be contacted by June 1st in case more funding is available?

Edited by forum_name_2

to recycle_bin and mselft:

Does the letter say that you might be contacted by June 1st in case more funding is available?

No!

Apparently my application was strongly rejected! I was sad on Monday when I received the letter, kind of happy now, I'll go and find a permanent job, although never forget this rejection in my whole life.

Did anyone in the west coast (Vancouver) receive the letter from NSERC?

My friend living in Langley got his letter yesterday.

Is it not IRDF better than PDF? At least it opens doors to companies. Furthermore, if one wants a faculty job, nowadays they strongly require industrial experience. I still do not know how they select people for PDF and IRDF because I had 8 journal papers. 3 from my phd as first author and working on 4th. In my area you could publish max 4 to 5. All in "A" journals. I am not sure if the committee really knows that the quality of the journal because they are from different area. I also had CGS D. I am disappointed, anyways.

Is it not IRDF better than PDF? At least it opens doors to companies. Furthermore, if one wants a faculty job, nowadays they strongly require industrial experience. I still do not know how they select people for PDF and IRDF because I had 8 journal papers. 3 from my phd as first author and working on 4th. In my area you could publish max 4 to 5. All in "A" journals. I am not sure if the committee really knows that the quality of the journal because they are from different area. I also had CGS D. I am disappointed, anyways.

As long as a company is found, yes. I'll try hard to find one.

Edited by myself

"Hi hellothere2,

Do you win a CGS? " [how do i do a real quote??]

I won CGS last year so maybe i got it again, i only asked my grad admin if I got NSERC and I didn't specify...how did you find out some letters were mid directed? I didn't hear from NSERC.

thanks,

On Monday, I received a letter from NSERC which is for someone else, but with my mailing address (postal code is wrong though). I emailed them to let them know. Then this morning NSERC emailed me, saying that there's some thing messed up... and they are sending replacement letters to those affected...

I haven't received the letter for myself yet (which was supposed to be here by Tuesday this week...).