Why is Berkeley so slow?

gelaface

lol, i'm applying to a masters program at berkeley.... my TOEFL scores were late and when I called to check up on them mid-january, the nice lady on the phone says she hasn't gotten around to downloading scores for a couple of weeks. They hadn't finished putting together the application packets towards the end of january, even the PhD apps.

P.S. Berkeley- I still love you! (blows kisses to Berkeley)

My two theories are:

that the admissions committee just takes a long time to do the best job possible, or

that they're soulless and want to make us wait for as long as possible before being like

I have not applied to Berkeley but I love the picture! :)

When I was getting my letters of rec, my department chair told me something that has kept my worries about Berkeley at bay. He told me that they the first you have to apply to and the last to let you know if you got in. Obviously, he is more eloquent with his words but you get the gist of it. I think it does it just because its Berkeley. Oh and funding issues may be delaying notifications...that whole California is broke thing.

Congrats! As I'm sure you realize, that means you were one of their top choices. I doubt many people got their notifications this early. The rest of us are either being considered for another round of admissions/waitlists, or simply rejected and have not yet been notified.

I don't hold it against Berkeley though, since everyone and their cousin applies there :-) Who wouldn't want to go?

Really?

They called me January 31. I was surprised they were so fast!

I think its depends which department you applied to. I applied to Berkeley civil and environmental engineering department and I have yet to hear from them. I just read on their website that they will let you know late February if they received all your documents and then I guess after that they make decisions..... It's gonna be a long wait.

Decaf,

Yeah same one of my professors may not submitted recommendations or may have I called them and they said they would know by last week friday. Of course they didn't send anything. Now even if I get into Berkeley I doubt I will choose them... I wish they would tell me so that I could finally decide what to do with my life.