grammar mistakes in Personal Statement

Hello everyone! i submitted my Personal Statements for my schools almost a month ago but i decided ( i should not have ha) to re-read my statement. While re-reading it i realized i have a several sentences that should have commas and do not. Do you think this kind of mistake could seriously upset the admissions people? thank you!

Hello everyone! i submitted my Personal Statements for my schools almost a month ago but i decided ( i should not have ha) to re-read my statement. While re-reading it i realized i have a several sentences that should have commas and do not. Do you think this kind of mistake could seriously upset the admissions people? thank you!

I wouldn't worry about it (unless maybe if your applying to English programs). I know I had two grammar mistakes in one of my PS's and still got an interview for that school. One of the mistakes was I meant to say conceptually instead of concept and the sentence sounded really funny.

I would say no. Commas aren't as much of a concern as making up words, incorrectly using words, randomly starting to write in a different language, hieroglyphics, etc. Besides, the substance is probably what they are looking for the most.

Is it an application to some sort of language program? That might make a little difference.

Don't worry at all except if your mistakes change the meanings your sentences (which is not that likely IMO).

In the first line of my statement for one of my top applications i mistyped "how" with "ow" (believe me i did!). and i was admitted yesterday.

Yeah it shouldn't be a problem unless possibly it's a language program your applying to. I re-read one of my SoPs this week and saw a couple minor grammatical errors that I somehow missed earlier - I still got admitted. They'll be much more interested in the substance of your SoP than a couple minor grammatical errors.

Edited by newms

Yeah it shouldn't be a problem unless possibly it's a language program your applying to. I re-read one of my SoPs this week and saw a couple minor grammatical errors that I somehow missed earlier - I still got admitted. They'll be much more interested in the substance of your SoP than a couple minor grammatical errors.

Right you are, newms.

In addition, many of us on this forum who are, or have been, writers or editors, or teachers of writing or editing, are more than happy to read through SOPs too. --- though that absolutely does NOT mean that we ourselves write absolutely perfect papers all the time, as a good friend on this forum, who is not a native speaker of English(!!!)(ouch!!!), pointed out to me---If that person reads this, you know who you are :) :) :) :)

I wouldn't sweat it....I applied to English PhD programs and had a minor error in my personal statement but still got into schools! It is best just to let it go! Committees are looking more for substance rather than making sure all the commas are in the right places :D