Boston U PhD

Has anyone heard any information from Boston U on when they're notifying and/or how many they're accepting for their PhD program? They have no "Status Tracker" website, (I emailed in early January) so I am assuming they'll email all of us.

Did you apply for the PhD, or the for the MA-leading-to-PhD? In other words, are you applying with only a BA, or do you have an MA?

If you're applying with an MA from another institution, like I am, they typically take only one student a year with an external MA. Last year, their PhD cohort had 7 people, of which only one had an external MA while the other 6 had just completed their MA at BU.

But if you're asking about how many spots they have for the MA (leading to PhD), I don't have numbers for that. Either way, good luck!

I am applying with a BA (and a BS in psych, lol) to the MA/PhD track.

Did you apply for the PhD, or the for the MA-leading-to-PhD? In other words, are you applying with only a BA, or do you have an MA?

If you're applying with an MA from another institution, like I am, they typically take only one student a year with an external MA. Last year, their PhD cohort had 7 people, of which only one had an external MA while the other 6 had just completed their MA at BU.

But if you're asking about how many spots they have for the MA (leading to PhD), I don't have numbers for that. Either way, good luck!

I see in the forum someone posted a wait listed decision for the MA, but that's the first decision I've heard/seen. Suspense!

I am still enduring the suspense for all twelve of my schools. I thought that this week was The Week, but I guess not.

p.s.- We're applying to three of the same places! Good luck.

I see a PhD rejection on the board.

Anyone know about it? Any others?

I just received my rejection from BU. Apparently, they're in the process of notifying everyone that has been rejected because they don't want people to have to wait any longer. At least that's what the email implied. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

I actually got in! And with funding too!

I was SO worried that I was an applicant that would get skimmed off in the first round of decisions every time. I've been rejected by three other schools. But now it doesn't matter!

Coming from the person who started the doom/unrest/insanity thread: please have hope that something will come for you!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Nothing this big has ever happened to me in my life.

I was SO worried that I was an applicant that would get skimmed off in the first round of decisions every time. I've been rejected by three other schools. But now it doesn't matter!

Coming from the person who started the doom/unrest/insanity thread: please have hope that something will come for you!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Nothing this big has ever happened to me in my life.

Congrats, Catherinian!

Congratulations! That does give me a tiny bit of hope for myself . . . one admit is all it takes.

Congratulations! That does give me a tiny bit of hope for myself . . . one admit is all it takes.

Thank you guys!

My email says that they accept 5-7 students coming in with an MA and 5-6 MA/PhD students. I can't believe that some people on the other side of the country decided that I was good enough to be one of those 5-6 people! Yey!

Now I'm just worried that I won't live up to their expectations...but I won't rub salt in the wounds of other people who haven't gotten their acceptances yet by complaining at length about that here.

Good luck to you all!

Thank you guys!

My email says that they accept 5-7 students coming in with an MA and 5-6 MA/PhD students. I can't believe that some people on the other side of the country decided that I was good enough to be one of those 5-6 people! Yey!

Now I'm just worried that I won't live up to their expectations...but I won't rub salt in the wounds of other people who haven't gotten their acceptances yet by complaining at length about that here.

Good luck to you all!

:D congrats!

That's awesome, catherinian -- congratulations!!

My email says that they accept 5-7 students coming in with an MA and 5-6 MA/PhD students.

I'm a bit puzzled by this information, though. I emailed the DGS in November and she confirmed what I had heard before, that they usually take 1 or at most 2 applicants with external MA's each year. So it can't be that they've suddenly switched to taking 5-7 students with external MA's. Can you double-check what the email you received says? Thanks.

ETA: I haven't heard from BU yet... Are there others who also haven't heard?

Edited by fall-11

That's awesome, catherinian -- congratulations!!

I'm a bit puzzled by this information, though. I emailed the DGS in November and she confirmed what I had heard before, that they usually take 1 or at most 2 applicants with external MA's each year. So it can't be that they've suddenly switched to taking 5-7 students with external MA's. Can you double-check what the email you received says? Thanks.

ETA: I haven't heard from BU yet... Are there others who also haven't heard?

Fall-11: I'm so sorry. I re-checked and, in my hazy excitement, I transcribed that incorrectly. It meant 5-7 students for the MA program instead. I'm sorry for posting this misinformation! :(

Fall-11: I'm so sorry. I re-checked and, in my hazy excitement, I transcribed that incorrectly. It meant 5-7 students for the MA program instead. I'm sorry for posting this misinformation! :(

Catherinian, no problem at all. That's what I guessed had happened ;) Thanks for checking and letting us know, and congrats again.

Dang, I wish I knew whether to be hopeful or not that I haven't heard yet... but with only 1 spot for external MAs, it's a really long shot.

thanks so much! you too! i got rejected from BU. now i'm really nervous...

I am still enduring the suspense for all twelve of my schools. I thought that this week was The Week, but I guess not.

p.s.- We're applying to three of the same places! Good luck.

Just wondering if there's others out there who haven't heard anything from BU. They sent out both accepts and rejects on Friday, but I didn't hear either way. Are there others in the same boat?

I haven't heard anything from them either. Guess that's a good, definite "wait and see." :)