Work/Life Balance

LadyL

I am in my first year of grad school after working in a lab for 3 years after undergrad. In my last lab, I ran myself into the ground trying to be a superstar. I was pretty successful at it - I helped us avoid getting the funding pulled on a multi million dollar grant whose progress had stalled. In order to do so I collected an unbelievable amount of data under ridiculous time constraints. The PI in the lab actually tried to promote me directly from Research Assistant to Research Associate because of my work but associates have to have a graduate degree and I only had a BA.

The problem was that my personal life suffered terribly because I had no energy for anything but my job, and my long term relationship almost ended in part because of that. I also spent the last year in the job burnt out, disengaged, and coasting on my own previous success. I am very, very wary of making the same mistakes again. I would rather have a slightly slower career trajectory and a life, than be a superstar with no friends or boyfriend and a neglected cat who hates me.

Right now I get enough work done to please my advisor and maintain progress in my program, but I basically keep my work week to about 35-40 hours. This will inevitably increase next semester when I add a TA position on to my current responsibilities but my plan is to never work more than an average of 45-50 hours a week. It's just not worth the personal cost to me.

However, many of my classmates are pulling 60+ hour weeks, coming in to the lab weekends and evenings, etc. It makes me feel guilty that I come in at 10 and pretty much stop working once 5-5:30 rolls around. My advisor lets me set my own pace and deadlines so as long as I am super productive during the week I don't have to stay late or work weekends and holidays unless I want to or think it's necessary. My feeling is that there is *always* more you could be doing, and you have to draw the line somewhere, because trying to do it all is a recipe for burn out.

Most of the time I think I am smart for having this approach, and less likely to burn out and end up another ABD, but sometimes I have my doubts and think I'm just a slacker. Anyone else worry about this sort of thing?

Based on what you say, it sounds to me like you know how much time you want and are willing to spend on your work, and that you're following those criteria appropriately. I do find there can be some competition amongst cohorts to see who can work the longest hours, but long hours don't necessarily correspond to working harder, better, or smarter. If you're reasonably happy with your progress, and those to whom you're responsible are likewise reasonably happy, you're probably on a good thing. As you say, there will always be more one can do, so a line needs to be drawn somewhere.

some people are workaholic, some people like balance. I think either way is fine, as long as you're happy and can face the (good & bad) consequences. (or maybe if you're the type to find happiness in extreme work conditions and perpetual unhappiness, then I guess you're happy, too? lol).

I admire you for having the courage to draw the line. You have shown/seem to be the type who CAN and WILL work hard, and you are still working hard, just not overworking, so I don't think you're a slacker. But this coming from me who likes to take it slow and enjoy life probably doesn't mean much ^^ yay for hedonist?

However, many of my classmates are pulling 60+ hour weeks, coming in to the lab weekends and evenings, etc. It makes me feel guilty that I come in at 10 and pretty much stop working once 5-5:30 rolls around.

If both you and your advisor think you are making satisfactory progress, it doesn't really matter how many hours each week your classmates are working.

There's a temptation to compete at "Who can claim that they're working the most?" I think you are smart for staying out of that game. That way lies madness.

It sounds like you're being very level headed about the amount of work you're doing. If no one is complaining and you're keeping your sanity and your outside life, it sounds like a win-win situation. And as others have said, you've shown (yourself and others) you can put in the hours if it's needed. I'd stick with what you're doing!

In my program, it depends on personal style. Some of us are better at drawing that line than others. The people who put in 40-50 hours per week aren't behind at all. To the contrary, they seem more refreshed when they show up in the morning and more productive during the time they actually are working. I'd say stick to your schedule if you feel like you are making good progress (by your definition, not your colleagues).