Religion/Theology PhD Results 2011

calluther

What a shitty week.

Rejected by Princeton, Yale GDR, Emory GDR, and Vanderbilt. Looks like I'm screwed this round for PHD options... University of Chicago is all I have left out of my 6 applications and there's no way in HELL that I'm ending up there. I still have 2 M.div programs to wait on, sadly, since that was a PLAN B. Looks like I'm destined to not teach for a while...despite journal publications, working FOR a journal, great grades, years of teaching experience...what a crap shoot. I want my thousand dollars worth of applications back! I need it for moving!

let me know if you get into HDS for the MDiv. I'll be at BU. We can take a course together through the BTI.

Maybe this is too late, but I wonder about getting an M.Div. as a back up if you know you want to go on and teach. I'd do an M.A. or M.T.S. if I were you.

Not confessional.

Doing editing for a journal should have helped too, as it was a spot that post-grad program only offers to one student in a competitive pool (I beat out the PHDS for it, booyah!). The teaching should have made some difference -- but not much (ANE language courses). Yes, everyone gets teaching experience. It depends if it can be related to your discipline or not, and it is. It's unfortunate that this is such a crap shoot. I was told not to take any rejections personally, but it doesn't make it any easier to go about it with a cold, disconnected attitude. Regardless, I hope you guys who have 2-3 programs to pick between get hit by a truck! hah!

Maybe this is too late, but I wonder about getting an M.Div. as a back up if you know you want to go on and teach. I'd do an M.A. or M.T.S. if I were you.

i think he has posted elsewhere that he already has two master's degrees in theology.

i think he has posted elsewhere that he already has two master's degrees in theology.

Unfortunately I started out as an MDIV at my current school and switched to an MA. Then I pursued the Mth degree....the MDIV is something I need to do for my denomination in order to preach, which is something I wanted to do...but not exactly right now. I wanted to use my academic momentum to do a PHD while my life wasn't insane (no kids, at the moment) --- but I guess I'm called to do something different. Most of my classes will transfer and who knows, maybe I can be "bumped up" or offered a position in a PHD program if I somehow "wow" the faculty with my leet skills in an MDIV program =/

Unlikely, but there's always a glimmer of hope.

De lurking to post. I only applied to one PhD program (the rest were M.A.). It was University of Texas and I got wait listed.. I'm really hoping people in my field decline, because it's my top choice school.

The results for McMaster's PhD are out. I've been accepted there with a very generous funding offer. Now, to wait and see about funding from the other schools I've been admitted to...

Also, how many people have heard from Toronto (Religion)? I know they sent their early admits out and that this year admission is very competitive. I'm assuming I'm waitlisted, but I'll have to contact them about that real soon.

Does anyone know what is going with Fordham and whether they have sent out their offers/rejections yet? Thanks!

I received an official letter of admission this week through email. Someone I know at Fordham mentioned at least two others that she knew had been offered spots.

Anyone have Notre Dame news?

I received an official letter of admission this week through email. Someone I know at Fordham mentioned at least two others that she knew had been offered spots.

Theology interviews were last weekend and they have started to make some notifications within the last few days.

I emailed them Friday and they said I'm in waitlist purgatory.

I received two snail mail notifications today. I got a rejection letter from Wheaton, and another notification that I am waitlisted at Loyola (this one was from the Dean of Graduate studies, the first was from the theology department).

Grace and peace,

Joe

Final Results

I'm happy with what I got, but a little surprised on a few of the rejections. It's either a tough year, or I overestimates my accomplishments. Either way, here they are!!

Fellowships offered at U. Texas and Rice

Rejected: Princeton, Yale, Brown, Harvard, Indiana

Whoever got into Harvard, congratulations!

I do Christian origins/Nag Hammadi/Late Antiquity, but will probably be at UT next year. As a result, I'll be moving more into Christian Origins and late antique religion.

Congrats to all who know where they will be!

An update from me:

Rejected from UT, UPenn, Emory

Assumed rejection from Rice, but the letter has not come yet.

Admitted at University of Florida, with fellowship.

No word still from the philosophy programs.

Anyone applying/heard from UCSB? Seems like they take a notoriously long time to respond (deadline was Dec 1st). They've got me on my toes. Hope they throw me a bone well before the beginning of April!

Accepted to PhD in Religion, Islamic Studies track at Duke. Letter finally came today.

Congratulations!! Will you go there?

I applied in the Early Christianity track (to do near eastern Christianity w/Lucas van Rompay) and stated an interest in making Islamic Studies my internal minor. They've made an offer to someone and have sent out a bunch of rejection letters, but I still haven't heard anything. I even e-mailed the departmental secretary to ask if there might be some kind of unofficial waiting list and to make sure that my application even made it from the graduate school, but she also hasn't responded. What do you think I should do? I have a good offer at another program but don't know whether I should hold out hope that I'm on some kind of waiting list and that the person who was accepted will go somewhere else.

Edited by Philologus

I'm pretty sure I asked this already, but according to the results page, at least one person has heard from the Religion dept. at Toronto (ie, not Theology) regarding the PhD program. Has anyone else heard anything from them, and if so, would you care to share? At this point, they're the only school that I really want to hear from before I make my final decision. I e-mailed them, but got no response. What is going on?

Anyone applying/heard from UCSB? Seems like they take a notoriously long time to respond (deadline was Dec 1st). They've got me on my toes. Hope they throw me a bone well before the beginning of April!

I'm also waiting for word from them. While there is an acceptance (dated March 1st, I believe) from them on the results page, I highly doubt that all or probably even most of their acceptances have gone out yet, given that they claim to admit such a large number each year on their website. I suspect that, given the structure of the program, they may have decided on an applicant in one area without making final decisions in the others (e.g., Psych and Anthropology of Religion track has their situation figured out, but Philosophy of Religion and others have not). I figure that we'll get word any day now.

I'm sure they have some jockeying going on with their admits. My prospective advisor has been very communicative and eager to answer any questions that I have, I believe, in order to make me accept the offer. Currently as things stand I will accept the offer, but I still havent heard back from 2 programs. One of which I am interested in, the other, not so much. I actually emailed Van Rompay regarding Syriac studies and expressed interest in it for an internal minor, quite funny that we are somewhat on the same page. I did speak with 3 current grad students over the past couple of days, all had wonderful things to say about the program.

I hope the best for you, let me know if you get a final answer, My guess is that you are either an alternate for the position to which you applied, or they have space for an extra 1 or 2 grad students and are trying to decide which track to give it to. Either way, no news might be good news.

Congratulations!! Will you go there?

I applied in the Early Christianity track (to do near eastern Christianity w/Lucas van Rompay) and stated an interest in making Islamic Studies my internal minor. They've made an offer to someone and have sent out a bunch of rejection letters, but I still haven't heard anything. I even e-mailed the departmental secretary to ask if there might be some kind of unofficial waiting list and to make sure that my application even made it from the graduate school, but she also hasn't responded. What do you think I should do? I have a good offer at another program but don't know whether I should hold out hope that I'm on some kind of waiting list and that the person who was accepted will go somewhere else.

I'm also waiting for word from them. While there is an acceptance (dated March 1st, I believe) from them on the results page, I highly doubt that all or probably even most of their acceptances have gone out yet, given that they claim to admit such a large number each year on their website. I suspect that, given the structure of the program, they may have decided on an applicant in one area without making final decisions in the others (e.g., Psych and Anthropology of Religion track has their situation figured out, but Philosophy of Religion and others have not). I figure that we'll get word any day now.

I've heard from them (and was accepted). My guess is that if you haven't heard yet, you aren't likely to get accepted with much/any funding, as they had to nominate people to receive Central Fellowships (which guarantees you funding for four years, I think), and they probably would have let you know about it all by now. Though who knows. I was admitted to Soc, Psych, Anthro of Religion.

Results so far:

UNC -- accepted

UT Austin -- accepted

UCSB -- accepted

NYU (anthro) -- rejected

Harvard (rel. americas) -- rejected

Stanford (anthro) -- rejected

Berkeley (anthro) -- rejected

Columbia -- waiting, assuming rejection but have heard they take a while to get back

Edited by mikeytwice