This Time Last Time

OnceAndFutureGrad

In 2009 I applied to six PhD programs. I decided to comb through the results page and my LiveJournal archives to reconstruct what things looked like last time, if only to console myself that schools this time 'round are less trigger-happy to reject me!

This time last time (Feb 19) I had an e-mail rejection from Yale and two of those ominous little letters in the mail from Notre Dame and Harvard. So I was 0 for 3, with only 3 schools left! Yikes!

Where were you on this date last time?

Lat year, I had applied to 4 schools and at this time, was 0 for 2 and had that sinking feeling that the other 2 places would have been rejects, which they eventually were. This year has been a lot better thoughsmile.gif

Hmmmm I don't know where I was specifically in the waiting vs. rejected ratio as it was four years ago-- but I had already abandoned hope that I was getting into any of the 8 programs that I had applied to by this point in the admission season. Smart move on my part as I applied to a couple jobs in mid February and accepted an amazing offer before I graduated with my master's.

This year, my admission season is over (applied to 3 schools) and I have two funded offers to my two top choices. Very thankful! Sometimes it pays to be persistent ;)

Hi All,

This time two years ago, I had applied to four (4) schools for a Ph. D. program in Library and Information Science. The schools were:

1. University of Washington;

2. University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign;

3. University of Wisconsin - Madison; and

4. Indiana University

Out of these four universities, I managed to only get an invitation for an interview from the University of Washington. I thought the interview went well, but unfortunately, due to the larger than average number of people going back to school as a result of the financial collapse of 2008, I missed out in the competition.

This time around, I have applied to five (5) schools. The schools are:

1. University of Pittsburgh (my alma mater);

2. University of South Carolina;

3. Rutgers - the State University of New Jersey;

4. University of Missouri; and

5. Drexel University

So far, I have received via email two invitations for a phone interview -- one from Drexel University and the other from the University of South Carolina. They are being scheduled for next week. I am still waiting to hear from the others.

Cheers,

Ranjit

Edited by Ranjit

Last round, I had applied to 8 schools and was in full panic-mode by March because all I had heard was one rejection. As it turned out, I had actually been accepted by my top three programs, and they had all unsuccessfully tried to call me. I'd lost my phone and gotten a new number the previous month and it hadn't even occurred to me that the notification wouldn't come by email.

This time around (I had decided to turn down the PhD programs last time and do a fully-funded masters in a totally different field), I'm far more laid back (and everyone IS using email). I only applied to two programs, have been accepted to one, and am generally mellow and amazed that this process was so stressful last time. Now I'm mainly anxious to find out for the second school so that I can lay out what my options are going forward and start making arrangements for whatever I decide.

This time last year I heard from 3 of the 6 schools and all were rejections. By the beginning of April I received the following 3 rejections. Not much has changed for me this round except for my writing sample and an internship at a museum. Best of luck, everyone!

Last year at this time I had applied to six schools, had received rejections from three, and had nothing to suggest that an acceptance might be in my future (which turned out to be the case, as I received another two rejections the last week in March and the final rejection the last week in April). This year I've applied to eight schools. I've received one rejection, but I've also had two promising interviews and have had some communication with a POI at a third school. Don't want to get ahead of myself, as nothing is certain yet, but things are looking better thus far.

Sometimes it pays to be persistent ;)

I'm a new applicant so this is my first go-around. I just want to say though - you guys are amazing. Honestly. The persistence, courage, and drive that it must take to go through this agonizing process TWICE is incredible, and I am so impressed! I really hope that round 2 really brings you all what you want - you deserve it!

I'm a new applicant so this is my first go-around. I just want to say though - you guys are amazing. Honestly. The persistence, courage, and drive that it must take to go through this agonizing process TWICE is incredible, and I am so impressed! I really hope that round 2 really brings you all what you want - you deserve it!

Thank you skeedy. I want to bundle up all the well-wishing on GradCafe (and my reputation!) and add it to my applications. "See? SEE?!? You'll be disappointing SO MANY GRADCAFE USERS if you don't let me in!!"

Thank you, Skeedy! That's very kind of you to say. All the best with your applications :)

Hi All,

I received another email from the University of Missouri inviting me fro an interview! So therefore, I now have three interviews lined up.

University of South Carolina - Today (02/23),

Drexel University - Friday (02/25), and

University of Missouri - Next Thursday (03/03)

I am keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed!

Cheers,

Ranjit

Edited by Ranjit