For us rejects

Cry? ...I really don't know. I've got some money saved up in the bank, so I'm planning on doing any and all of the following:

a) getting a new job because the one that I'm at is slowly draining my lust for life

B) take community college classes in French so that I can say that I have that language in my back-pocket too (I'm currently taking French 1 at my undergrad)

c) going to Paris, even if only for a week or two

d) keep applying to and presenting at conferences

e) try harder for next year

As much as I want to, there's no way I'm giving up yet, because I honestly can't imagine doing anything with myself at this point. Plus, my advisor at my undergrad was rejected all-around her first time applying, and now she's got a cushy job teaching at my university, is totally happy with her life, is well-respected in her field, and just had her first translation published in book form. So, I guess the answer to your question is "try, try again".

Oh, and DRINK HEAVILY AND OFTEN.

Edited by Capo

I have received two confirmed rejections thus far, and one is on the way.

I have a feeling that I will be shut out this year, so like Capo, I will be drinking heavily this coming season, but also I will continue teaching. I've got a pretty good teaching job in a place that's been very generous and kind. I have two conferences coming up in March/April that I will present, and I am sending a manuscript out for publication by the end of this month. I will continue going to conferences and submitting manuscripts for publication, and then next year I will apply again, and this time I will apply to more safety schools instead of top programs in my field.

Edited by murkyama

I was going to get my TOEFL teaching certificate and go to Cuba or Argentina to teach English if I didn't get in. But now I think I might try to find something in my hometown instead. I have a tentative position as a research assistant, and if I could somehow find a job where I could get payed for tutoring students how to write academic essays I would be thrilled.

Edited by againstourfaces

Are any other "rejects" thinking of leaving academia (or the dream of it) and doing something else entirely?

I'm sorry to hear that, Skeletonkeys! We private messaged each other earlier this year (I changed my username). I still have 5 schools to hear from, but I'm not planning on leaving academia. The prospect of being able to develop my research interests without the pressure of school for 10 months is really appealing. While I'm okay with the idea of not getting in this season, I will definitely keep trying.

I'm sorry to hear that, Skeletonkeys! We private messaged each other earlier this year (I changed my username). I still have 5 schools to hear from, but I'm not planning on leaving academia. The prospect of being able to develop my research interests without the pressure of school for 10 months is really appealing. While I'm okay with the idea of not getting in this season, I will definitely keep trying.

That might be the melancholy talking. I was really sure I'd get in somewhere, at least a super-safety, so the rejections were quite difficult to process. I do think I'll give it one more shot, but at 26 I feel like I should have a "real job" by now, not just temp work and massive loans in perpetual deferment. I just don't know. In a few weeks I might feel differently. I love love love teaching, but I can't take any more adjuncting and being poor with all my bills. I guess I'm having a quarter life crisis right now, since I feel like I'm not good enough for academia. Anyway, thanks for the positive words...I need some of your positive thinking!

That might be the melancholy talking. I was really sure I'd get in somewhere, at least a super-safety, so the rejections were quite difficult to process. I do think I'll give it one more shot, but at 26 I feel like I should have a "real job" by now, not just temp work and massive loans in perpetual deferment. I just don't know. In a few weeks I might feel differently. I love love love teaching, but I can't take any more adjuncting and being poor with all my bills. I guess I'm having a quarter life crisis right now, since I feel like I'm not good enough for academia. Anyway, thanks for the positive words...I need some of your positive thinking!

Give it a few months. You don't really have to start worrying until August, September anyway. A lot can change! And you can also make a lot of money in the mean time.

The prospect of being able to develop my research interests without the pressure of school for 10 months is really appealing.

Samesies. Just the thought of only reading and writing about what I WANT to read and write about without having to worry about assignments in things I just don't care about and gearing papers towards letter grades instead of my own interests --- well, all that just sounds mouth-watering right now.

Officially, I'm still waiting on 6 schools...but there are at least three implicit rejections in there, so it's not as hopeful as it seems. This really sucks.

I wish I could say I'm going to present at conferences, etc., but my confidence is kind of shot at this point. I don't really know if I could stand up in front of a bunch of people and present a paper...why bother? I mean, if my ideas weren't convincing enough in a writing sample I don't know if I can pretend they're good enough for a conference presentation. Hopefully I will emerge from this gloom and do something useful with my time, but I don't know how likely that is. Since I decided I was definately applying to ph.d. programs, I have been looking for ways to gain teaching experience, but it's really difficult, especially in the state I live in, to get any kind of teaching job with out certification. I've tutored privately a little, but that's really touch and go, and most of the responses I get to my ads are spam. I've volunteered at places tutoring kids, but their young, so it's a little irrelevant to college teaching. I have thought about giving up altogether, like skeleton keys, but I just can't imagine myself doing anything else. Strangely, the only field I could imagine myself feeling fulfilled in is publishing/editing, but I would basically have to move to get any kind of job in the field. If I could just get a job with a salary, I might do that as a back up while I applied this year, but I've had very little luck getting any kind of real work with an MA in English. I look constantly, though....

If these last six schools do reject me, then I'll probably work on my writing sample, hopefully get the courage to present at some conferences, and try to enjoy life a little. That is of course after two-week mental meltdown where I probably won't get out of my pajamas or leave the house. After that, I'll probably wake up one day, make a long list of goals and other neridness, go to the gym, and start eating more vegetables....I've kind of been toying with the idea of writing fiction again. I figure, why not? The worst thing that could happen is I produce total shit, and it was a waste of time. But apparently time is what I have to waste right now...

Hey all,

I've actually been applying to a lot of British programs, because my research interests are more popular over there than they are here and I may have a better chance getting in. In the event that I get in nowhere (hoping this isn't the case-- I applied to 18 programs, which was pretty exhausting), I'm going to investigate some more schools in the UK. For the most part, they have rolling admissions, and it's possible to apply up to two months before the program is supposed to begin. For those of you who've received all of your bad news (I'm still in that awful waiting-to-hear limbo), if you've got enough energy left to apply for some more programs, poke around some overseas schools. You never know-- sometimes rejections happen because your area of interest is popular somewhere else.

Samesies. Just the thought of only reading and writing about what I WANT to read and write about without having to worry about assignments in things I just don't care about and gearing papers towards letter grades instead of my own interests --- well, all that just sounds mouth-watering right now.

I understand. But I've started gearing *every* paper I write towards my own interests. Even for classes that fall outside the English department. I like to see what I can get away with. Apparently, I can get away with a lot.

Hey all,

I've actually been applying to a lot of British programs, because my research interests are more popular over there than they are here and I may have a better chance getting in. In the event that I get in nowhere (hoping this isn't the case-- I applied to 18 programs, which was pretty exhausting), I'm going to investigate some more schools in the UK. For the most part, they have rolling admissions, and it's possible to apply up to two months before the program is supposed to begin. For those of you who've received all of your bad news (I'm still in that awful waiting-to-hear limbo), if you've got enough energy left to apply for some more programs, poke around some overseas schools. You never know-- sometimes rejections happen because your area of interest is popular somewhere else.

I'm from the UK and whilst i was considering applying to a UK PhD in an in-case-of-emergency situation, i ended up deciding not to. As has no doubt been said elsewhere, the UK PhD is very, very different from the North American (and particularly US) PhD and, if you're hoping to get a job teaching in the US after finishing, you'll find yourself in a much less advantageous position than your peers with US doctorate (albeit 3ish years sooner than them).

You might also want to note that it's even harder to get funding for UK PhDs than it is in the US. Even UK/EU applicants will struggle to find funding, especially in the arts. Manchester, York and Exeter are the three most highly-ranked universities in the UK for English/related studiy (according to the 2008 RAE scores) and they have ten funded places between them for PhDs in English (and only UK/EU students are eligible). Also note that funding deadlines are coming up soon if they haven't already passed.

It's an alternative, certainly, but for most it's not a particularly viable one.

(And, sure, tuition is much lower in the UK that it is at, say, Harvard, but even if you can afford it, is self-funding really the way to go if you're playing the long game and will, eventually, be looking for employment post-doctorate? I would say no.)

Edited by harpyemma

I'm from the UK and whilst i was considering applying to a UK PhD in an in-case-of-emergency situation, i ended up deciding not to. As has no doubt been said elsewhere, the UK PhD is very, very different from the North American (and particularly US) PhD and, if you're hoping to get a job teaching in the US after finishing, you'll find yourself in a much less advantageous position than your peers with US doctorate (albeit 3ish years sooner than them).

You might also want to note that it's even harder to get funding for UK PhDs than it is in the US. Even UK/EU applicants will struggle to find funding, especially in the arts. Manchester, York and Exeter are the three most highly-ranked universities in the UK for English/related studiy (according to the 2008 RAE scores) and they have ten funded places between them for PhDs in English (and only UK/EU students are eligible). Also note that funding deadlines are coming up soon if they haven't already passed.

It's an alternative, certainly, but for most it's not a particularly viable one.

(And, sure, tuition is much lower in the UK that it is at, say, Harvard, but even if you can afford it, is self-funding really the way to go if you're playing the long game and will, eventually, be looking for employment post-doctorate? I would say no.)

All really good points, and definitely things I've had to consider on this, shall we say, "journey." The three-year period is more convenient for me, albeit intimidating because of the immediate dive into research, but it's something I'm excited about because I know exactly what I'd like to work on in my research. I'll tailor what I said and add that this is not something that's possible for those coming directly out of their BA, because these programs required a Master's-level degree as well, but for those of you who have a clear and specific idea of what you want to study, these programs may be an option for you. As for funding, well, I'd say we're all in a pretty crap situation, but there are scholarships/studentships available, some with deadlines that aren't so immediate (I have until July for one of the programs I've applied to), and if you're hopeful enough to apply for a program, why not apply for funding as well? (One other aspect of applying for programs in the UK is that more than half of the schools I applied to did not ask for GREs or an application fee, so it was much cheaper to apply there.)

I haven't heard anything from the four schools I applied to, so I'm assuming it's a big, fat NO from all of them. My plan was that I would always be applying to my old university in Dublin around now, hence I'm up to my ears in books and notes and folders and post-its trying to work on my proposal. It was my third time applying to American schools and I really can't go through the process again. It's too draining - physically, emotionally, mentally and financially! As motivation to actually be accepted to school here I've already handed in my notice at my rubbish job so it has to happen or I'm screwed!

I understand. But I've started gearing *every* paper I write towards my own interests. Even for classes that fall outside the English department. I like to see what I can get away with. Apparently, I can get away with a lot.

Haha yeah, I've been doing the same this semester with a "What the hell does it matter, it's my senior year" kinda attitude. I actually had one Eng. professor ask us, after giving a lecture, "would you be able to spit that back out at me for your in class writing assignment next week?" Can you imagine?! I did my own thing anyway, but still...

Haha yeah, I've been doing the same this semester with a "What the hell does it matter, it's my senior year" kinda attitude. I actually had one Eng. professor ask us, after giving a lecture, "would you be able to spit that back out at me for your in class writing assignment next week?" Can you imagine?! I did my own thing anyway, but still...

Haha. I find it is very rare when an English professor wants you to "spit back" ideas. But in the rare instance this year that I had one of those professors, I decided to spit back her idea only to say that it was a stupid reading. I thought I was going to fail the assignment, frankly I didn't care, but I ended up getting an A+. Apparently I succeed when I write essays fuelled by my anger and utmost bitchery.

Now that I've officially been rejected from all 6 schools (Brown hurt the most since my boyfriend is in his 1 year there :( ] I will probably move to Providence to be with him and do temp or adjunct work. I want to save money to do some traveling and try to enjoy the rootlessness that aforementioned work enables. I am also going to start applying much earlier, and do serious work on my writing sample this summer. However, I've toyed with the idea of just saying fuck grad school, the MA was enough, and find a job with an actual salary.

Are any other "rejects" thinking of leaving academia (or the dream of it) and doing something else entirely? My something else would be teaching secondary school or something in publishing (another industry with great job prospects lol) while working on my masterpiece novel so one day I can say fuck you Brown, not I won't come give a talk :) Clearly I'm still very bitter.

But for the next week I'm going to be consuming lots of processed food, soda, cigarettes, and mary jane as I wallow in self pity and feel like a loser.

Sorry, Skeleton!! I've been feeling the same way!

I have four rejections under my belt and technically am still waiting to hear back from four more, but I'm assuming that it's over for me this season. I only have a BA so it's a little harder for me to find teaching jobs (though I am certified to substitute teach in NY, but there is no consistency whatsoever, PLUS Bloomberg just laid off about 4,000 teachers). I know I'll definitely work my ass off revising my SOP and writing sample, probably retake the GRE, and try to attend some conferences; not to sure what I'll do about money, though.

Oddly enough, reading this thread made me feel a little better. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one feeling like the world is coming to an end :P

Also: to those who have presented at conferences, do you all have your MA? I'd love to present, but I don't know if I can do so with just a BA?

I have four rejections under my belt and technically am still waiting to hear back from four more, but I'm assuming that it's over for me this season. I only have a BA so it's a little harder for me to find teaching jobs (though I am certified to substitute teach in NY, but there is no consistency whatsoever, PLUS Bloomberg just laid off about 4,000 teachers). I know I'll definitely work my ass off revising my SOP and writing sample, probably retake the GRE, and try to attend some conferences; not to sure what I'll do about money, though.

Oddly enough, reading this thread made me feel a little better. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one feeling like the world is coming to an end :P

Also: to those who have presented at conferences, do you all have your MA? I'd love to present, but I don't know if I can do so with just a BA?

I did my first conference presentation after my second semester of MA work, but I've seen plenty of calls on the UPenn site that were open to Undergrads. If it's a well-written abstract, I don't see why they wouldn't consider it. If you're up for something on short notice, you can still submit an abstract for the graduate conference at St. Bonaventure (website pasted below). The submission deadline was Friday, but we aren't making the final final choices until Tuesday. If you can get an abstract in in the next 24 hours or so, I can make sure it's considered. Our conference is open to grad students, undergrads and junior faculty. We're going to have folks there from a number of the SUNY schools, and our keynote speaker is from U of Rochester.

http://web.me.com/smoneil/BonasConference/Welcome.html

Hey all,

isn't it terribly difficult to get funding in the UK though? I mean, I heard that the US is more likely to fund...

OMG this thread is depressing the heck outta me. I haven't had ANY acceptances or rejections, but is it weird that I've already been thinking about retaking my GREs? I am seriously down on my chances this year. I feel for the rejects! It is probably going to be me, too. If so, I am in dire straights---no job, no money, no prospects. No grad school= WTF AM I GOING TO DO NOW???? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

Ugh. This is me being angry but grad school shouldn't be something you do because you don't have any other options. It should be something that you feel you *have* to do, like a calling. You've been chosen, with or without your Will.

over and out,

sad applicant.

I can tell you that you absolutely don't need your MA! I'm presenting at an undergraduate research conference next month at the University of St. Francis in Joliet, IL, this May I'll be presenting at a graduate research conference at the University of British Columbia, and I have an abstract currently under review for presentation at a graduate conference in Madrid. I still haven't even finished my BA yet and I'm presenting at a graduate research conference (they're aware of the fact I'm not actually a graduate student yet, too), and there's plenty of undergraduate conferences out there. Moral of the story is, go for it! Send some abstracts out and if it's something fresh, original, and exciting, you'll be a-okay.