Out of the blue I just received an email from the DGS telling me I've been waitlisted. I thought Penn was out of the running, but I guess not. I think I am going to hold on to the spot for a while, I have a lot of exploring to do over the next couple of weeks. But, the moral of the story is that we shouldn't assume -- things are still happening.

I was also just waitlisted. I'm on two waitlists now so I hope one works out.

Out of the blue I just received an email from the DGS telling me I've been waitlisted. I thought Penn was out of the running, but I guess not. I think I am going to hold on to the spot for a while, I have a lot of exploring to do over the next couple of weeks. But, the moral of the story is that we shouldn't assume -- things are still happening.

I was also just waitlisted. I'm on two waitlists now so I hope one works out.

Good luck! I'm sure there will be a lot of movement and the email from the DGS made it seem as if getting in off the waitlist is a regular occurrence...though I guess we don't know how many of us there are, etc. Anyway, I hope one and/or both and/or many more work out in your favor.

Miraculously, I found a waitlist e-mail sitting in my inbox this morning. I was bummed all week because I thought I missed the UPenn train. But now there is a hope. A chance.

In all seriousness, though, UPenn is at the top of my list and I really hope to gain admittance.

I asked for some more information on the number of accepted (though I assume it's 13, as stated earlier), their ideal cohort size, number on the waitlist and if the waitlist is ranked. Hopefully I'll get these answers soon, as my heart can't take this anymore.

Edited by jprufrock

Wow, that was fast. From the Graduate Chair:

In answer to your queries, we're aiming for an entering class of 10 or 11 and have accepted 13. The waitlist, if everyone I've contacted asks to be on it, will be 11. It's not ranked; rather, I'll be exercising my judgment as Grad Chair regarding how best to balance the class in terms of interest, likely field/period, etc. as particular offers are declined.

I got a wait-list email this morning as well. Pretty surprising as I just assumed I was rejected. I'm already sitting on a couple offers that are an excellent fit for me, so if I don't get in to UPenn I won't be upset about it. Good Luck to everyone! Jprufrock--I hope you get in if it's your top choice--UPenn does rule. It looks like you're going to be taking your pick!:)

well Penn just pulled the band-aid off for the rest of us. I thought I was ok with it, having known for about a week I won't be getting in, but damn, the finality the Official Rejection Letter just opens the wound. Congrats to the acceptees and good luck to the waitlisted, though!

well Penn just pulled the band-aid off for the rest of us. I thought I was ok with it, having known for about a week I won't be getting in, but damn, the finality the Official Rejection Letter just opens the wound. Congrats to the acceptees and good luck to the waitlisted, though!

I'd like to know who posted the Penn rejection that states something to the effect of, "Ivy undergrad, Oxford MSt". I really just want to know because I did an MSt at Oxford recently, and would like to know if I actually know this person...

I couldn't remember my password, so I didn't even bother looking, lol! Whatevs, no tears over it.

Thanks to the results board, I liked knowing that this was not unexpected, especially since it made it a lot easier for me to narrow down my choices a lot sooner and make plans.

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone going for terminal MA?

Not funded, of course, but I'm wondering whether or not to take it. Penn seems to take very, very small number of people for their MA program (possibly because not that many people apply to it, I assume) so I haven't been able to get a lot of feedback on this program. Any comment would be hugely helpful!

Edited by spring511