Has anyone heard back from UMASS?

Just wonder because I saw one person post the notification of admission via email. Is it a real one or just a spam? Has anybody in this board heard back from UMASS? Thanks.

I'm still waiting too. I spoke w/ that person and it wasnt spam. I clicked on "applied" and the next page said rejections are sent by mail and not posted online until 21 days later so you learn by mail. Maybe they do accepts by email and reject by mail. So, I'm thinking its not looking good. But, you never know. No mail yet.

I'm still waiting too. I spoke w/ that person and it wasnt spam. I clicked on "applied" and the next page said rejections are sent by mail and not posted online until 21 days later so you learn by mail. Maybe they do accepts by email and reject by mail. So, I'm thinking its not looking good. But, you never know. No mail yet.

Thanks so much for your information. Hope the department did not make only one round of acceptances :)

I'm glad that you confirmed that was a real person. I was wondering since there was only one. I haven't heard anything either. I saw the "applied" notice online as well. However, I wonder if Umass actually follows that. It seems that a lot of other Umass departments inform admits, waitlists, and denials all at the same time. It appears that last year the comm department informed acceptances and denials at the same time. Hmmm. Maybe they are just holding off on their waitlists and denials until they hear back from their first picks?

I'm glad that you confirmed that was a real person. I was wondering since there was only one. I haven't heard anything either. I saw the "applied" notice online as well. However, I wonder if Umass actually follows that. It seems that a lot of other Umass departments inform admits, waitlists, and denials all at the same time. It appears that last year the comm department informed acceptances and denials at the same time. Hmmm. Maybe they are just holding off on their waitlists and denials until they hear back from their first picks?

A friend of mine received admission from UMASS in early Feb.

Did you apply to UMass as an undergrad? If so, they may have sent an email to the one you used years ago instead of the one you gave them for your PhD application. It happened to me, but with a confirmation email. I don't think they have sent out acceptances for soc yet.

I've seen a few instances of single responses on the board. I called U Georgia last Tue and they said their committee met on Monday and they would notify soon. Then Wed someone posted that they called and were given a verbal accept over the phone. A week later I have heard nothing. So, all of this is craziness, I guess we all need to try and be patient but it is SOOO hard.

So, all of this is craziness, I guess we all need to try and be patient but it is SOOO hard.

Ah yes, wise words! If I could just figure out how to do that. :) I think once I get an accept under my belt, I'll feel a lot better. In the meantime, I'll work on my que sera sera mindset.

Funny Umass website said they will notify via mail first for rejections. I thought that was kinda classy that they wanted to notify people w/ an acutal letter.

But, I get an email to check the website and I log in to see my status changed to "denied." Not so classy.

Kinda rude if you ask me. No letter, no explanation, nada. I spent the time and $ to apply. At least they could have spent the time on a form letter.

Other schools give the old, "lots of apps and not enough money" or the "you were very qualified, but..."

Sorry, that was too much to ask from these people.

Funny Umass website said they will notify via mail first for rejections. I thought that was kinda classy that they wanted to notify people w/ an acutal letter.

But, I get an email to check the website and I log in to see my status changed to "denied." Not so classy.

Kinda rude if you ask me. No letter, no explanation, nada. I spent the time and $ to apply. At least they could have spent the time on a form letter.

Other schools give the old, "lots of apps and not enough money" or the "you were very qualified, but..."

Sorry, that was too much to ask from these people.

Sorry about that.:(

Just checking to see if anyone else has heard from Umass? I've heard nothing and it seems that they've sent out some acceptances and rejections. Anyone else in limbo?

Update... received my hard copy form letter in mail yesterday. quick and to the point, maybe 3 or 4 sentences.

You may want to call.

Just checking to see if anyone else has heard from Umass? I've heard nothing and it seems that they've sent out some acceptances and rejections. Anyone else in limbo?

Wow, I wasn't the only one who heard nothing from them. I can't fathom what their process is like, though I take it as a rejection.

Wow, I wasn't the only one who heard nothing from them. I can't fathom what their process is like, though I take it as a rejection.

Hey Commtome--I emailed the department today. I'll let you know if I hear anything back!

I emailed the department and the graudate admissions director kindly responed that my application is still active but the department needs to wait to hear back from others who were first offered admission.

I emailed the department and the graudate admissions director kindly responed that my application is still active but the department needs to wait to hear back from others who were first offered admission.

I did the same and got the same response!

Jmacnomad and Poj, have either of you heard from the department since that e-mail? I am still waiting for a decision from them and wondering if they contact people if they have been waitlisted??

Jmacnomad and Poj, have either of you heard from the department since that e-mail? I am still waiting for a decision from them and wondering if they contact people if they have been waitlisted??

I got my 3rd rejection notification yesterday. 1st was an email to check the website. 2nd was a short form letter in the mail. then yesterday got another email. Now I think they are just rubbing it in. Strange you guys havent heard anything, but that can hopefully be taken to mean you havent been rejected at this point.

I haven't heard anything since emailing and getting the response from them on Thursday. There was no indication of when I might hear from them again. It said they "were waiting to hear back from other applicants before making a decision" on mine. you might email them to see what your status is. It doesn't seem like they tell you your waitlisted unless you ask. It sounds like they contacted acceptances and rejections but not waitlisters.

I got my 3rd rejection notification yesterday. 1st was an email to check the website. 2nd was a short form letter in the mail. then yesterday got another email. Now I think they are just rubbing it in. Strange you guys havent heard anything, but that can hopefully be taken to mean you havent been rejected at this point.

geez! That is excessive.

I haven't heard anything since emailing and getting the response from them on Thursday. There was no indication of when I might hear from them again. It said they "were waiting to hear back from other applicants before making a decision" on mine. you might email them to see what your status is. It doesn't seem like they tell you your waitlisted unless you ask. It sounds like they contacted acceptances and rejections but not waitlisters.

Who did you send the e-mail to? I don't see a general department e-mail on the website.

It's really strange. I emailed the department as you suggested, jmacnomad (thanks!), but I've had no response yet. Now I'm thinking like, 'my application materials might not have been forwarded to the department,' which is the worst scenario I can imagine. Did you guys send your emails to Kathleen? It seems this crazy waiting will never end. I haven't heard anything back from my top choices, one of which is UMass.

It's really strange. I emailed the department as you suggested, jmacnomad (thanks!), but I've had no response yet. Now I'm thinking like, 'my application materials might not have been forwarded to the department,' which is the worst scenario I can imagine. Did you guys send your emails to Kathleen? It seems this crazy waiting will never end. I haven't heard anything back from my top choices, one of which is UMass.

I sent an email to Kathleen and it took around 2 days to get a response from the graduate admissions director. Hope you get a response very soon.