Has anyone heard back from UMASS?

This might not be a good question but I just would like to know a general opinion. Comparing between communication program at UMASS and U of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, do you think which one is better? In what aspects? Thanks.

This might not be a good question but I just would like to know a general opinion. Comparing between communication program at UMASS and U of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, do you think which one is better? In what aspects? Thanks.

From my understanding the University of Illinois has a really great reputation in the field of communication but it definately depends on what you are looking to study. UMASS offers really good programs for specific fields. In my opinion the best way to figure out which school is better for you is to research the faculty that teach the specific field you are interested in. Find out about their reputation in the field and also if research they have done aligns closely with what you want to study. So many people get caught up in which school is better but what it usually comes down to is specific faculty that you want to work with.

Update from UMass. I emailed the graduate admission director and got a response that I'm on their waitlist.

It's surely better than being rejected, but it's also true, this waiting is still stressful. And thank you guys for your suggestions jmacnomad and Poj!

Update from UMass. I emailed the graduate admission director and got a response that I'm on their waitlist.

It's surely better than being rejected, but it's also true, this waiting is still stressful. And thank you guys for your suggestions jmacnomad and Poj!

welcome to the club!

ugh, im still waiting on amherst too. so assuming that means im waitlisted also.

when you guys emailed the coordinator, did she give any mention of how long their waitlist is, or whether it's ranked?

welcome to the club!

ugh, im still waiting on amherst too. so assuming that means im waitlisted also.

when you guys emailed the coordinator, did she give any mention of how long their waitlist is, or whether it's ranked?

No indication of whether or not it's a ranked list. And I have no clue how many people are currently on their waitlist, but I was told (not by her) the number of acceptances was about 12.

No indication of whether or not it's a ranked list. And I have no clue how many people are currently on their waitlist, but I was told (not by her) the number of acceptances was about 12.

It seems like many of us are in the waitlist. I just wonder how the admisssion process works there.

I'm still waiting to hear from UMass like many of you. I'm a little bit worried, as I saw that someone posted their results for my desired program, and they were accepted last month. I'm assuming I either didn't get in or was wait-listed. Not knowing is so stressful!!

I'm still waiting to hear from UMass like many of you. I'm a little bit worried, as I saw that someone posted their results for my desired program, and they were accepted last month. I'm assuming I either didn't get in or was wait-listed. Not knowing is so stressful!!

yes it is stressful! And, it's one month and one day to D-day. (I'm not expecting to know anything until april 15th). All I can say sararahmae is I feel your pain!

Umass is on spring break this week, so I suspect we won't see any movement.

I don't expect to see any movement for a while. It seems like a lot of programs where late in sending out decisions which means that the people that were accepted may take longer to figure out which school they are going to attend. This waiting is driving me insane.

this waiting is getting ridiculous.. i cant believe there are still programs who have yet to put out any kind of notification to their applicants! (even if the notification is just to say "hey you're in a big waiting pool whose applications are still active blah blah blah.) anyway, hope all umass applicants get some (hopefully good) news soon!

I haven't heard anything since emailing and getting the response from them on Thursday. There was no indication of when I might hear from them again. It said they "were waiting to hear back from other applicants before making a decision" on mine. you might email them to see what your status is. It doesn't seem like they tell you your waitlisted unless you ask. It sounds like they contacted acceptances and rejections but not waitlisters.

this waiting is getting ridiculous.. i cant believe there are still programs who have yet to put out any kind of notification to their applicants! (even if the notification is just to say "hey you're in a big waiting pool whose applications are still active blah blah blah.) anyway, hope all umass applicants get some (hopefully good) news soon!

I haven't heard anything since emailing and getting the response from them on Thursday. There was no indication of when I might hear from them again. It said they "were waiting to hear back from other applicants before making a decision" on mine. you might email them to see what your status is. It doesn't seem like they tell you your waitlisted unless you ask. It sounds like they contacted acceptances and rejections but not waitlisters.

this waiting is getting ridiculous.. i cant believe there are still programs who have yet to put out any kind of notification to their applicants! (even if the notification is just to say "hey you're in a big waiting pool whose applications are still active blah blah blah.)

anyway, hope all umass applicants get some

(hopefully good) news soon!

Seriously! I'm right there with you! The waiting is brutal. I hope they let us know something soon.

Bueller? It's been so quite around here it's eery. Anyone heard news (even gossip) from UMass?

Its definately eery. Probably because April 15th is very slowly approaching. I haven't heard any news or gossip from UMass and its driving me crazy. I can't handle the wait!! Does anyone know how their waitlist works?

I also haven't heard anything back from UMASS for a while. I have a question about the admission process in the US. If I'm still waiting for the notification from UMASS but I have already received offers from few universities, should I accept the offer before April, 15 first and wait for UMASS's response after that day? Another thing is anyone knows about 'MSc in Global Media and Communication', joint degree by LSE and USC? I am thinking that if I am rejected by UMASS, I have to choose between Master of Arts in Communication, UIUC and that programme. Anyone can give suggestion? Thanks

I also haven't heard anything back from UMASS for a while. I have a question about the admission process in the US. If I'm still waiting for the notification from UMASS but I have already received offers from few universities, should I accept the offer before April, 15 first and wait for UMASS's response after that day? Another thing is anyone knows about 'MSc in Global Media and Communication', joint degree by LSE and USC? I am thinking that if I am rejected by UMASS, I have to choose between Master of Arts in Communication, UIUC and that programme. Anyone can give suggestion? Thanks

Hi Poj,

I'm from the US and I've had to do some research to figure out the whole April 15th thing! :) From what people have said on this forum and other places, you first have to figure out what your top choices are. If Umass is your top choice, then its best to pick one of the other programs as back-up and notify the the third that you decline. Then, if you still haven't heard from Umass by the 15th, then you ask your second choice for a decision extension. This approach obviously only works if Umass is your first choice. If it isn't, then you don't have to wait and you can decide between your other two offers. Good luck figuring it out!

Its definately eery. Probably because April 15th is very slowly approaching. I haven't heard any news or gossip from UMass and its driving me crazy. I can't handle the wait!! Does anyone know how their waitlist works?

I don't know how the waitlist works, but based on how some other programs work, here is my educated guess.

The facts: They decided mid-feb on their first round of offers and they are currently waiting to hear back from a critical mass of those (someone on this forum said they went out with 12 offers). They rejected some candidates and left others in a pool to be decided on later. These two points are factual as far as I can tell.

The guess: They will meet again in the next couple of weeks and go out with a second round of offers. They'll draw from the pool left over from the first round. The pool is unranked at the moment and who gets in will depend on who accepted from the first round. They'll want to make sure their cohort is diverse in terms of academic interests and backgrounds.

Who knows, I may have missed the mark here. But, that's my attempt to make sense of the madness! :)