UConn 2011

Hey, folks. Is anyone else confused by UConn's admissions procedures? Someone on the results board said UConn sent out a bunch of letters recently, and that many should hear next week. I wonder if that includes acceptances and rejections since notifying history indicates the program favors conveying negative news via snail mail. Thoughts?

Hey, folks. Is anyone else confused by UConn's admissions procedures? Someone on the results board said UConn sent out a bunch of letters recently, and that many should hear next week. I wonder if that includes acceptances and rejections since notifying history indicates the program favors conveying negative news via snail mail. Thoughts?

I thought the same thing, but there have been no acceptances posted at all. So maybe they are notifying everyone at the same time?

To the recent UConn results board rejectee--so sorry to hear your news. :( Did your letter reveal anything about applicant pool/class size?

I wish you the best as you wait for additional feedback from other schools!

Why are they rejecting people before admitting people? Seems like a weird way to do it. Has anyone gotten in yet?

One of my LOR writers said schools used to reject those they knew for sure wouldn't make the cut to create a short list, and then proceed to select admits from that group. So rejections tended to come before admits back in the day, but that certainly doesn't reflect current trends.

The more I learn about grad school application "logistics," the more confused I become. I'm pretty sure the odds of winning the lottery are better. . . in which case all of us Grad Cafers should invest in lotto tickets instead of 304,580,349 applications a season, and then put our winnings toward donating buildings at top choice schools. Those schools would have to make us offers on principle. ;) Besides, if we had that kind of money, funding prospects would no longer influence whether or not we could enter a program, and we would likely receive even more offers since we'd indicate we could attend as unfunded candidates.

One of my LOR writers said schools used to reject those they knew for sure wouldn't make the cut to create a short list, and then proceed to select admits from that group. So rejections tended to come before admits back in the day, but that certainly doesn't reflect current trends.

Rochester seems to be doing it the same way. No admits or wait-lists posted, but they have 4 rejections up already (on four different days). I almost wish the schools would get together and pick one deadline to notify everyone. We could call it "ripping the band-aid day" and all news, good or bad, would arrive in one angst-filled day rather than two+ angst-filled months.

The more I learn about grad school application "logistics," the more confused I become. I'm pretty sure the odds of winning the lottery are better. . . in which case all of us Grad Cafers should invest in lotto tickets instead of 304,580,349 applications a season, and then put our winnings toward donating buildings at top choice schools. Those schools would have to make us offers on principle. ;) Besides, if we had that kind of money, funding prospects would no longer influence whether or not we could enter a program, and we would likely receive even more offers since we'd indicate we could attend as unfunded candidates.

I entered to win the HGTV Dream Home about a hundred times. Not enough to donate a building to a school, but it's big enough for a binge-session when this insane semester lets out. If I win, everyone on the Grad Cafe is invited (except for people who got into schools that rejected me :)just kidding )

I received an email from U Conn yesterday saying I was accepted to their MA program. They also included funding info (TA stipend of around $19,000 per year). I haven't received a letter yet, but it might be still in the mail. Hope this info helps those of you out there still waiting and good luck!

Rochester seems to be doing it the same way. No admits or wait-lists posted, but they have 4 rejections up already (on four different days). I almost wish the schools would get together and pick one deadline to notify everyone. We could call it "ripping the band-aid day" and all news, good or bad, would arrive in one angst-filled day rather than two+ angst-filled months.

I entered to win the HGTV Dream Home about a hundred times. Not enough to donate a building to a school, but it's big enough for a binge-session when this insane semester lets out. If I win, everyone on the Grad Cafe is invited (except for people who got into schools that rejected me :)just kidding )

I second the motion! laugh.gif

I received an email from U Conn yesterday saying I was accepted to their MA program. They also included funding info (TA stipend of around $19,000 per year). I haven't received a letter yet, but it might be still in the mail. Hope this info helps those of you out there still waiting and good luck!

And thanks for the info, lit864. It's always nice when a blessed acceptee chooses to share scoop!

Thanks for the info and congrats!

So have we decided which weekend we're going to party at my new HGTV dream home? I'm due to win it in the next couple of weeks or so (I'm all about positive thinking :lol:).

I've still heard nothing from them... wtf? Are they doing waves like U-Washington?

Same here. Did they give a notification date approximation in any application confirmation e-mails?

Same here. Did they give a notification date approximation in any application confirmation e-mails?

Nope. I just looked over mine and there was nothing. I can only imagine that:

1. We are on some sort of waitlist. In which case, if I am eventually rejected, I hope they mention.

2. My mail is being lost.

3. They just don't care.

I think three is the most likely. I already have a good offer, but I just want all my ducks in a row, you know?

Nope. I just looked over mine and there was nothing. I can only imagine that:

1. We are on some sort of waitlist. In which case, if I am eventually rejected, I hope they mention.

2. My mail is being lost.

3. They just don't care.

I think three is the most likely. I already have a good offer, but I just want all my ducks in a row, you know?

I'm right there with you. I have a great offer already, so I truly have no reason to complain. But, like you, I'm of the school of thought that believes in waiting to accept/decline until all the results are in. I see a previous UConn wait-lister on the results board reports not receiving any sort of notification. Perhaps an e-mail is in order? :blink:

I just called and spoke to the grad secretary--got my hopes way up because she recognized my name. She looked at the acceptance and wait lists and told me (very kindly) that I wasn't on either of them. She also said that she's sorry it's taking so long to send out all the (rejection?) letters.

I just called and spoke to the grad secretary--got my hopes way up because she recognized my name. She looked at the acceptance and wait lists and told me (very kindly) that I wasn't on either of them. She also said that she's sorry it's taking so long to send out all the (rejection?) letters.

I still haven't heard anything either way. Did she say the department would notify the rest soon?