CU Boulder

I live in Montana and haven't gotten a letter yet. It's crazy that it got from CO to MA going out on Friday! Fingers crossed for you to get off the waitlist!

Yes, I am surprised too. However unfounded, I am hoping that perhaps receiving a letter so quickly means I might be high on the waitlist? Maybe? ...There's probably no correlation. But here's to hoping!

Thanks! And I hope you hear good news soon! And Lyoness, congrats on all your acceptances!

Yes, I am surprised too. However unfounded, I am hoping that perhaps receiving a letter so quickly means I might be high on the waitlist? Maybe? ...There's probably no correlation. But here's to hoping!

Thanks! And I hope you hear good news soon! And Lyoness, congrats on all your acceptances!

No mail today either, I'm hoping they sent out rejections and waitlists before acceptances.

Has anyone not heard from the graduate program? I applied to the MA English program, and I haven't heard anything from the school... Did they send physical mail or e-mails? I feel like I should have heard something by now.

I was told they were all sent at the same time. I could be wrong though.

Has anyone not heard from the graduate program? I applied to the MA English program, and I haven't heard anything from the school... Did they send physical mail or e-mails? I feel like I should have heard something by now.

I am fairly certain that they send out notices by snail mail; that is how my wait list notification arrived.

In case this information helps those who may receive wait list notifications, I was told today that the wait list is not ranked. Instead it is "more of a pool," whatever that means. Hope you all hear good news soon!

No mail today either, I'm hoping they sent out rejections and waitlists before acceptances.

Me too. I talked to a woman in the graduate office who said we should receive replies by this past Friday at the latest, but this wasn't true for me... I think maybe she meant that they'll send out replies this past Friday, which would make them arrive throughout this week.

Accepted to MA today via snail mail. No funding offered, but an emphasis in the letter that it is CU's goal to fund every student for at least one semester of the 2 year program with a teaching assistantship. Extremely likely I will take this offer. Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear. I live a few blocks from the CU campus and it took three days to reach my mailbox, so that is the mystical nature of the postal service for you.

Accepted to MA today via snail mail. No funding offered, but an emphasis in the letter that it is CU's goal to fund every student for at least one semester of the 2 year program with a teaching assistantship. Extremely likely I will take this offer. Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear. I live a few blocks from the CU campus and it took three days to reach my mailbox, so that is the mystical nature of the postal service for you.

Congrats Zaster! Was the envelope large or small?

Congrats! Haha, I think it is funny that my letter traveled half way across the country before yours went across town. Gotta love the USPS. Interesting about the funding - the wait list letter says financial support is "unlikely." So I wonder if those admitted from the wait list would not get that one semester TA ship?

Congrats again!

Hello friends,

I'm an internal applicant to the MA program and got my snail mail acceptance yesterday (I live about 15 minutes away from CU). Some of my current TA's have enlightened me a little about the funding situation, as has Cynthia - basically, they don't have any funding structure for MA's, aside from hopefully giving you a TA-ship for 1 or 2 semesters out of your degree... this may not sound necessarily like "no funding," but Cynthia's words to me were in fact, "no funding for MA's," so there you have it. Getting a classroom is a little extra cash and some teaching experience more so than a funding package. I think it's a little misleading since number one part of our application is a TA application, and number two the acceptance letters word it such that funding is available, just not for you - NOT the case, nobody gets funded, so acceptances are all the same (I intend for this to be clarifying and reassuring... even though it means less money for all of us).

Also, MA's at CU- when they do get teaching opportunities - get a recitation (only PhD's get their own sections of Mod/Comp Lit (3060)). And lastly, I've got it straight from the grad chair that PhD is being fully overhauled, meaning first of all that future applicants to the PhD program won't need an MA (as is currently the requirement), but also that they'll take fewer applicants but fund each of them better. That's generally the direction programs go when they want to climb in prestige, which is what I understand to be the current priority at Boulder. It will make things more competitive, but it will be better for accepted students. I think it's fantastic and very exciting, the whole department is buzzing with energy and coming into its own, I feel.

Anyway, I'm definitely accepting this. I'm also on staff at CU so I can use a tuition benefit and work part time on campus and if you can't tell I just really dig the department. I've had a truly special experience with nearly every professor I've taken a class from. Best of luck to everyone and I can't wait to meet those of you who are coming in Fall 11!

I just got a letter of acceptance from CU. Flat White, could I have your e-mail address so that I could e-mail you some questions? You sound like you have a great handle on the program, and I'd love some extra info. Thanks a lot.

On 3/16/2011 at 10:13 AM, Strong Flat White said:

Hello Boulder friends,

I'm an internal applicant to the MA program and got my snail mail acceptance yesterday (I live about 15 minutes away from CU). Some of my current TA's have enlightened me a little about the funding situation, as has Cynthia - basically, they don't have any funding structure for MA's, aside from hopefully giving you a TA-ship for 1 or 2 semesters out of your degree... this may not sound necessarily like "no funding," but Cynthia's words to me were in fact, "no funding for MA's," so there you have it. Getting a classroom is a little extra cash and some teaching experience more so than a funding package. I think it's a little misleading since number one part of our application is a TA application, and number two the acceptance letters word it such that funding is available, just not for you - NOT the case, nobody gets funded, so acceptances are all the same (I intend for this to be clarifying and reassuring... even though it means less money for all of us).

Also, MA's in Boulder - when they do get teaching opportunities - get a recitation (only PhD's get their own sections of Mod/Comp Lit (3060)). And lastly, I've got it straight from the grad chair that PhD is being fully overhauled, meaning first of all that future applicants to the PhD program won't need an MA (as is currently the requirement), but also that they'll take fewer applicants but fund each of them better. That's generally the direction programs go when they want to climb in prestige, which is what I understand to be the current priority at Boulder. It will make things more competitive, but it will be better for accepted students. I think it's fantastic and very exciting, the whole department is buzzing with energy and coming into its own, I feel.

Anyway, I'm definitely accepting this. I'm also on staff at CU so I can use a tuition benefit and work part time on campus and if you can't tell I just really dig the department. I've had a truly special experience with nearly every professor I've taken a class from. Best of luck to everyone and I can't wait to meet those of you who are coming in Fall 11!

On 3/17/2011 at 12:16 PM, Byrd McDaniel said:

I just got a letter of acceptance from UC. Flat White, could I have your e-mail address so that I could e-mail you some questions? You sound like you have a great handle on the program, and I'd love some extra info. Thanks a lot.

Sure thing, Byrd - I posted my email just now as a comment on your profile. Let's talk about CU.

Has everyone who applied to CU's PhD program heard back? It seems like a slew of letters arrived last week, so I rushed to my mailbox every day for the past 4 days, but I still haven't received anything. Anyone else going through the same thing? I know the USPS can be weird, but it doesn't *really* take a week for a letter from CO to reach the East Coast, right? Paranoia is setting in......

Has everyone who applied to CU's PhD program heard back? It seems like a slew of letters arrived last week, so I rushed to my mailbox every day for the past 4 days, but I still haven't received anything. Anyone else going through the same thing? I know the USPS can be weird, but it doesn't *really* take a week for a letter from CO to reach the East Coast, right? Paranoia is setting in......

I am on the East Coast (Mass.) and received a wait list notification last Monday. If you don't get something soon, I'd call them. Although, I applied to the MA, not the PhD, so things may be different there. Hope this helps! And good luck!

I am on the East Coast (Mass.) and received a wait list notification last Monday. If you don't get something soon, I'd call them. Although, I applied to the MA, not the PhD, so things may be different there. Hope this helps! And good luck!

Thanks, QC. Mailbox was empty again today. I e-mailed Cynthia, so hopefully she can calm my nerves. Congrats on the waiting list - I hope you hear even better news soon!

I will be visiting CU this Friday-Sunday and with it being Spring Break no professors are available to meet. Does anyone here go to CU or know someone who does, preferably an English MA or PhD student, that would be willing to show me around campus and talk about the program? I would be more than happy to buy them lunch.

Tweed--you might like to email Cynthia Ocken and ask whether any of the grad reps will be around and willing to chat. It's spring break, so there's a chance they'll be away, but it's worth a try. Plus, they might have the power to get the department to pay for lunch! I'd play tour guide, but I'll be away visiting another college. Definitely take time to stroll around the Pearl St. Mall (about a mile north west of campus--down the big hill). It's lovely when the undergrads are gone because you can generally walk into a cafe and actually get a table. Trident Bookstore+cafe (Pearl and 9th--on Pearl walk west, toward the foothills) has great coffee and amazing tea. Don't stop for the Green Peace, etc., people or you'll never get anywhere (they're usually pretty thick on the hill--the west edge of campus--as well). I usually put in my headphones (even if I turn them off) and they leave me be. Bring layers--the weather coming up is iffy (as spring usually is). It could rain or snow. It's usually windy, but yesterday the foothills nearly got up to 70 degrees.

For what it's worth, I can tell you what their typical package was last year; teach one class a semester and they waive something like four classes a year, teach two classes a semester they waive all six (or more perhaps). When I interviewed with a faculty member, she called the system "exploitative." Given how funding in higher ed is going, I can't see that it's much improved. They have a fantastic reputation, but I don't think it's being maintained well right now - all the late notices could be an indication of that as well. If you get in, I would advise bartering for a better deal. If you have questions about that, send me a message!