CU Boulder

I emailed the graduate secretary about time frame for notification. She said this: "The committees are still reading the files. They are sooooo sloooow! You should receive a letter by the end of the 2nd week in March." She also said that notification goes out via snail mail, which is pretty lame.

I emailed the graduate secretary about time frame for notification. She said this: "The committees are still reading the files. They are sooooo sloooow! You should receive a letter by the end of the 2nd week in March." She also said that notification goes out via snail mail, which is pretty lame.

That's a great quote from the grad secretary. It sounds like campus visits are going to be out of the question on that timeline.

And by that time it will have been around a month since many other offers were made. People will have spoken with multiple contacts at those institutions before CU even notifies admits...

Maybe the so-called timeline was just one of those overestimates that one typically finds on a website.

And by that time it will have been around a month since many other offers were made. People will have spoken with multiple contacts at those institutions before CU even notifies admits...

Maybe the so-called timeline was just one of those overestimates that one typically finds on a website.

In CU's defense, it seems to be operating on a slightly different schedule than last year. I was accepted into the Ph.D. program last year, was notified in mid-February and did my campus visit a week into March. So they must have gotten A LOT of applications this year, or other extentuating circumstances have slowed down the committee's progress.

Unfortunately, I'm not there now because a health crisis forced me to suspend my Ph.D. plans. So sad, because I fell in love with CU and the department during my visit :(

Yeah, seems like this notification will be quite late, but UW is taking their sweet time too. I don't know. I'll have done a couple campus visits and been in touch with people at other programs for quite a while by the time we here. Certainly makes it easy to get biased for other programs with late notice.

Yeah, seems like this notification will be quite late, but UW is taking their sweet time too. I don't know. I'll have done a couple campus visits and been in touch with people at other programs for quite a while by the time we here. Certainly makes it easy to get biased for other programs with late notice.

You're a Renaissance/Early Modern, right? I'm a Shakespearean, and CU's program really appealed to me on that basis. Hopefully if you get the offer, you'll have the time to visit, and take the opportunity to!

I am an early modernist specializing in poetry and critical theory. I'm glad to hear you like the program. I love most of the offers I have, but I'd love to live in Boulder. I'm a Montanan who whitewater kayaks and rafts, so Boulder by far appeals to those interests. Thanks for the info!

I applied to the MA program, and was told in January that "decisions will be made by the end of February with letters going out around the 1st week of March."

Hope that helps!

Almost finished the 2nd week in March...anyone hear anything? Waiting sucks!

It does seem to be taking a while, but it's possible (though not that likely) that everyone admitted to CU doesn't use GradCafe. I understand that CU has a small entering cohort, maybe 6-8, and I guess that they may not have let anyone else know about their good news.

Or, the more likely possibility is that CU is just dragging its feet.

On 3/10/2011 at 2:54 PM, tweed said:

Stilllllllll waiting. Does anyone know roughly how many MA students CO admits? Trying to size up my chances.

I emailed Cynthia again, and she said that notifications went out Friday. I didn't have anything in my mail today, but I would guess things should start reaching people soon. I saw one MA rejection posted on the board, so I'd guess this will be a proximity/speed of USPS thing. Sigh. At least they've made up their minds. . .

In case anyone was curious, my friend who applied to CU's MFA received her rejection Saturday, so those decisions have been made as well.

You received your letter in Massachusetts? I live in Texas and the postal service has failed me yet again! Oh the agony!

Yes, the letter is dated March 9th, postage is stamped March 11th. No information about ranking, size of waitlist, cohort size. It does say it would most likely be unfunded if accepted. Besides Chicago (which was a HUGE stretch) this program is a dream, so I am hoping it materializes.

M.A. or Ph.D.? I live near the university and I've heard nothing yet (sidenote: I'm pretty sure my mailman is insane. Sometimes he swings by in the morning, sometimes in the evening, and occasionally with mail that actually belongs to me).

EDIT: nevermind, I see now that you wrote "M.A." How strange that they decided M.A.s before Ph.D.s. That being said, most of the people who did the M.A. there with me got in off the waitlist--hang in there!

On 3/14/2011 at 9:06 PM, lechatgris said:

M.A. or Ph.D.? I live near the university and I've heard nothing yet (sidenote: I'm pretty sure my mailman is insane. Sometimes he swings by in the morning, sometimes in the evening, and occasionally with mail that actually belongs to me).

EDIT: nevermind, I see now that you wrote "M.A." How strange that they decided M.A.s before Ph.D.s. That being said, most of the people who did the M.A. there with me got in off the waitlist--hang in there!

Haha - be wary of mailmen! I work in a mailroom at my school, and it is true that mailmen go crazy because the mail NEVER ends. Anyways... THANKS so much for that hope. Honestly, I feel so honored to be on the waitlist even. This time last week I was certain I wouldn't be accepted anywhere (I even secured a verbal promise of a job at a McDonalds). Now I have one PhD offer and a wait ist position to a GREAT program!! I am so hopeful that this works out.