Want to know your school's acceptance rate? Sort of?

baja318

So, after being rejected from 2 schools, accepted to 1, and still waiting on 3 more to reply - I've figured a nice way to pass the time...

I have this handy, dandy CAA (College Arts Association) catalogue, and figured I'd come up with a rough estimate of my actual chances of getting into each program. I had some ideas going into this process, of how the schools ranked, and I was realistic with my choices. But having some numbers puts it in a new perspective.

The catalogue has stats from all MFA programs from 2007 - it's a few years old, but not that far off from current stats, I'm sure.

By dividing the number of accepted students by the number of applicants, I've come up with the following:

YALE = 5% (rejected)

TYLER = 18% (rejected)

PAFA = 61% (accepted)

SYRACUSE U. = 36% (fingers crossed)

INDIANA U. (BLOOMINGTON) = 17% (fingers crossed)

SUNY ALBANY = 22% (fingers crossed)

I know this doesn't take into account your chosen medium, genre, department, etc..and it's no scientific study, but - what the hell - it's fun/nerve wracking nonetheless.

If you want me to look up your school - let me know.

So, after being rejected from 2 schools, accepted to 1, and still waiting on 3 more to reply - I've figured a nice way to pass the time...

I have this handy, dandy CAA (College Arts Association) catalogue, and figured I'd come up with a rough estimate of my actual chances of getting into each program. I had some ideas going into this process, of how the schools ranked, and I was realistic with my choices. But having some numbers puts it in a new perspective.

The catalogue has stats from all MFA programs from 2007 - it's a few years old, but not that far off from current stats, I'm sure.

By dividing the number of accepted students by the number of applicants, I've come up with the following:

YALE = 5% (rejected)

TYLER = 18% (rejected)

PAFA = 61% (accepted)

SYRACUSE U. = 36% (fingers crossed)

INDIANA U. (BLOOMINGTON) = 17% (fingers crossed)

SUNY ALBANY = 22% (fingers crossed)

I know this doesn't take into account your chosen medium, genre, department, etc..and it's no scientific study, but - what the hell - it's fun/nerve wracking nonetheless.

If you want me to look up your school - let me know.

How about Rutgers, Hunter, MICA, and/or SAIC?

On 2/24/2011 at 5:36 AM, bethanyr said:

Would you mind looking up University of Illinois Chicago and Columbia College Chicago? Thanks!

UNIVERSITY OF IL. CHICAGO = 27%

COLUMBIA CHICAGO = 40%

On 2/24/2011 at 8:16 AM, L333makes said:

Thanks for this!! Can you look up

Cornell

SUNY Purchase

Brooklyn College

Penn Design

University of West Viriginia

CORNELL= 6%

SUNY PURCHASE = 10%

BROOKLYN COLLEGE = 32%

PENN DESIGN = 11%

WVU = 72%

On 2/24/2011 at 10:29 AM, Andi Bo Bandi said:

Hey, thank you!

University of Maryland (Printmaking) and Claremont Graduate University are the two I'm curious about-I have a pretty good idea about the others on my list.

UNIVERSITY OF MD = 9%

CLAREMONT = unavailable

On 2/24/2011 at 10:36 AM, femmedephoto said:

Can you look up RIT, Mills, Pratt, CCA and USC?

if you don't mind, thanks!

RIT = unavailable

MILLS = 13%

PRATT = 35%

CCA = unavailable

USC = 40%

On 2/24/2011 at 10:43 AM, twentyeleven said:

If you don't mind adding two more to the list, how about MassArt and SMFA?

Thanks for posting these–they're really interesting!

MASSART = 24%

SMFA = unavailable

Both Penn State and SFAI didn't include their admission stats in the catalogue. Sorry :(

No worries.The lack of this information fits with the general trend of my applications' statuses . Any news would be good news at this point - well, not good. (I am sooooo sick of waiting!)

Thanks for your effort!